Down/Syn Jacket for casual (and hunting)

Looking for a new jacket for everyday wearing but can also double as a light insulating jacket for hunting as well. It has to be a solid color.

Can anyone compare the warmth of any of the following:

-Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody - 80 gm Primaloft
-Sitka Lowland Jacket - doesn't list fill weight
-First Lite Uncompaghre - no fill weight listed
-First Lite Brooks Down Sweater - 800 fill down/syn blend
-Eddie Bauer Downlight Jacket - 800 fill down
-Eddie Bauer Cirruslight Jacket - 650 fill down
-Kuiu Super Down Ultra - I'm guessing this is the least warmest jacket of the bunch?

Any others that would fall into this same category?

Benjblt

WKR
I've got the Arc'teryx Cerium LT and I say it's comparible to these. It's got 3.5 ounces of down. The LL bean down jacket looks compelling. It's got 4.32 ounces of down but is significantly heavier. Rab makes some other options that are warm as well. Never used them though.

Chuck44

FNG
I have the Uncompaghre and think it is very warm for the weight and is more durable than many of the lighter-weight puffies. With a base-layer and mid-layer under it I am comfortable stationary to the low 20s. The Uncompaghre has 100 grams of synthetic insulation in the body and 60 grams in the sleeves, so it should be warmer than the Kelvin Lite. First Lite has also stated that the Uncompaghre is warmer than the Brooks. I think all the other down based jackets you mentioned are lighter-weight and probably more comparable to the Brooks....so I am going to infer that the Uncompaghre is probably the warmest of the ones you have listed.

Vandy321

WKR
I like the Arc'teryx Cerium and Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody.

For synthetic... I was going to say the same, except throw in the Atom AR as an option along with LT. I have both and 99% of the time below 50 degrees, I grab the AR.

Can only compare it to the Kelvin Lite on your list, and that was for a day before 1 returned it...but the Atom LT is colder (and less bulky) and the Atom AR is warmer (yet slightly bulkier) than the Kelvin Lite.

Last edited:

kipper09

WKR
I’m wearing the arcteryx thorium as we speak. Pretty great all around puffy. Check it out. It’s down but has synthetic in areas proned to get wet or rained on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eddie Bauer downlight. I have two years of heavy use on mine and will replace it with another.

If synthetic is your preference then I would get something made with climashield apex since it gets praise for retaining loft over time. Also one of the warmer for it’s weight in synthetics.

Benjblt

WKR
I’m wearing the arcteryx thorium as we speak. Pretty great all around puffy. Check it out. It’s down but has synthetic in areas proned to get wet or rained on.

This. Same fill weight but people say its warmer then the Cerium LT. It fits a little bigger too.

Also, REI Magma 850 has 4.3 oz of fill and is supposed to be 1/2 off soon. At 13.75 oz overall would be a good price for a puffy with those specs. Its not as sexy as the other options though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
For down the EB Downlight is very warm for the price and weight. For synthetic I am amazed by the uncompraghre. Not for super cold but if it’s 20-40 f it’s my choice and I have about 12 puffy’s......

keller

WKR
I have the kuiu superdown ultra and am very happy with it.i have ridden atv in upper teens to twenty with it and have been warm.it is wind resistant.i was a bit skeptical when I first got it because it is very thin. but I really like it.ordered the eddy bauer downlight 800 for my sons winter coat he like it and says its very warm.lot of good options out their.

OP
cornfedkiller
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I ended up ordering the EB Downlight as well as the Uncompaghre because I knew if I didnt, I would always wonder if I made the right decision.

I ended up keeping the Downlight and sending the FL one back. The Uncomp fit was pretty baggy on me (ordered a large, just like all my first lite gear), it seemed really thin (I know people say its warmer than it seems), and it didnt pack as small as the downlight.

The EB came with a "track my down" tag on it so just for fun I checked it out and the fill power was 810, so I'm pretty happy with that. They don't list how much fill they use, but it seems to be pretty puffy, so the fill is acceptable to me.

Dhbwa

WKR
CFK - yeah the uncom runs big. If you get another chance to buy one “right” I think you will be surprised at the warmth although for packing there are better options.
The EB is GTG if you pay 40-60% of retail.

I’ve been pretty happy with my Uncompaghre puffy. I’ve had mine for a few years now and it’s never been an issue. As far as packing down, it goes in it’s own pocket, that’s gotta count for something.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the Uncompahgre in black for wearing around town and at my ranch. I also have it in their green conifer solid color for the field.

It’s surprisingly warm for its weight. With a 250 weight merino undershirt, a beanie, and the uncompahgre over top I am comfortable into the low teens easily. Once you get some windchill or get much below the teens you will want something warmer, especially if you run cold like me.

I use one by Montbell that is a solid green color. It’s a great puffy for everyday wear and around the camp while hunting.

ChrisAU

WKR
Another vote for the Arc'Teryx Cerium LT, I have one in Caribou Brown and its awesome for hunting and casual wear.

I have the Uncompahgre in black for wearing around town and at my ranch. I also have it in their green conifer solid color for the field.

It’s surprisingly warm for its weight. With a 250 weight merino undershirt, a beanie, and the uncompahgre over top I am comfortable into the low teens easily. Once you get some windchill or get much below the teens you will want something warmer, especially if you run cold like me.

Well, I would say your run warm if you can sit in low teens with just that on. Low teens is why they make the Chamberlin.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Well, I would say your run warm if you can sit in low teens with just that on. Low teens is why they make the Chamberlin.

I suppose it’s all relative haha. To me there’s a huge drop from the teens down into the 10s and single digits. It’s weird. A 16 degree drop from 32 to 16 doesn’t feel like a huge difference, but 16 to 0 just gets damn cold to me.