Down Vest

Anybody out there have a recommendation/input on Down Vests? Really like the idea of compressability, warmth, seondary use as a pillow etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2rocky

WKR
I'd keep an eye out for North Face Outlet sales.
I had an LL bean vest in the 90's that was about the best out there. I see LLB vest prices are even below REI.

I use a patagonia (on sale from steepandcheap.com) that works well. Super light, great insulation, and is great for lots of things besides hunting. I use mine skiing etc.

Other great companies to look at for lightweight down vests
-RAB
-Montbell
-Edie Bauer

similar prices/weights/etc.

Joe

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
The newest Primaloft One has equivalent loft to about 625 down if you are at all concerned about your down getting wet.

Try Cabela's too. Thier Down stuff is on sale now.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The newest Primaloft One has equivalent loft to about 625 down if you are at all concerned about your down getting wet.

Try Cabela's too. Thier Down stuff is on sale now.

What grams would be considered 625? I have seen company's offer their fill in primaloft one from 50 grams(patagonia) to 100+ grams ( helly hansen and Tnf I believe) that's a wide range,

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive had a Montbell UL down for several years now. Its a very nice piece, often my main insulation piece in the summer. I also really like coupling it with my Patagonia nanopuff, they work well together.

Of course you should look at Feathered friends and Western mountaineering too if your will to spend a few bucks extra.

At least three companies have come out with water repellent / hydrophobic down and manufacturers are using it in new products so I would do some research and maybe think about waiting on getting something in down for a few more months to see what comes onto the market. And I'm not talking about a waterproof cover on a down insulated garment, the down itself is treated and is water repellent while still retaining its loft and insulating properties.

Here are some articles about the technology:

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2012/02/is-waterproof-down-just-around-the-corner/

http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/19/introducing-quix-down-by-toray/

I get that, but how often is the down vest going to be the outer layer in the rain? I figure that if you are getting a sleeping bag or coat that would be great, but when it is mostly just an insulating layer, you would be fine to save some money. My guess is that waterproof down ill make any garment way more expensive

JOe

I get that, but how often is the down vest going to be the outer layer in the rain? I figure that if you are getting a sleeping bag or coat that would be great, but when it is mostly just an insulating layer, you would be fine to save some money. My guess is that waterproof down ill make any garment way more expensive

JOe

Cost aren't that far out of line from regular down. LL Bean is already selling a 850 fill jacket for $179, which is about as good as down prices get.

As far as the advantages of waterproof go... well living where I am, I'm a heavy down user as you might imagine. It's fine all winter long of course, but use during fall season has been problematic.

One of my hunting partners decided to bring along a down vest and jacket on his first sheep hunt a couple years ago. He used the same logic of "hey, I'll just wear it under my raingear". Well after about 24 hrs of 100% humidity, taking layers on and off in a drizzle, moisture getting tracked into the tent, etc... His layers were 5 lb soggy masses of worthless. Lucky for him it didn't turn really cold on us.

He went home and ordered a Primaloft jacket...

Yk

Curtis C

WKR
I have been happy with my Western Mountaineering vest. I have never compared the weight to others so I cant say if its light or not, but it is warm.

C

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love my first ascent/ Eddie Bauer down vest! But it really is better for winter time, or day trips where I don't expect much in the way of rain. I am just not very comfortable with the idea of down as an insulating layer when there is a chance of liquid precipitation. For summer and fall trips, I usually rock my marmot Windblock fleece vest or my PrimaLoft Sitka kelvin vest.

OP
D
Thanks to all for the input! I have several ideas to look into now. I did notice that when I wanted to purchase one in August they weren't on the racks at Cabelas or Sportsmans so figured I better be shopping this winter?

KMT

WKR
I've had a down vest for about 4 years now. I wore it a couple of times the first year I bought it but haven't taken it out of the closet since then. I have never been out hunting, skiing, or doing anything else where I have wished that I had brought it.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
What grams would be considered 625? I have seen company's offer their fill in primaloft one from 50 grams(patagonia) to 100+ grams ( helly hansen and Tnf I believe) that's a wide range,

The comparison is in the loft and ability to hold heat. So the weight comparison is equal. i.e. A 100gram primaloft one fill jacket has equal warmth to a 100gram 625 down jacket.

I have been using a Marmot Zeus down vest for about a year now. I find it to be a excellent layer. It is 800 fill down and weighs 10 ounces. excellent warmth to weight ratio. Last week I was taggin along with my dad for second season elk tag and was wearing the vest everyday.

Lawnboi

WKR
If your not stuck on down, arcteryx makes a good synthetic vest that is super light. I just cant bring myself to buy down solely because when it gets wet, its going to stay wet for a while.

Down sure is warm though, and light

My next puffy vest or jacket WILL have a hood!

Rizzy

WKR
The new quix down from Kuiu looks like it will be the next big step in hunting gear. I can't wait to see where they go with it. Check out the demo on the Kuiu blog.

I am really liking my first ascent eddie bauer down vest. It has 850 fill power and I got it for $99. It is a great layering option for the cold weather hunts.