down vs synthetic sleeping bag?

new to camping, i will be in a hot tent. temps as low as 15 degrees. i have read a lot about the problems with down getting wet. any input on down vs synthetic, regular vs mummy, and pads is appreciated. thanks

Poser

WKR
Which part of the country is perhaps a useful aspect to answering this question. Living in the Southwest, for example, I don’t own a synthetic sleeping bag. If I lived in the PNW or AK, I’d likely have a different answer.

Generally speaking, in CO, down is just fine.

For hunting seasons in the West later than Sept, an insulated pad is recommended.

cronsman

WKR
If you can take care of your bag (i.e. put it in a water proof stuff sack when you leave for the day) and/or you aren't in a crazy wet environment like oregon coast or Kodiak, AK i think you'll be fine with down.

PapaJB

FNG
Down vs synthetic pretty much comes down to how much weight you want to carry and how much you want to spend to minimize that weight. Pound for pound (or ounce for ounce) good synthetics insulate about as well as 650 fill down. Sierra Designs, Therm-a-rest, and Big Agnes have good value synthetic bags but their temperature ratings are a little optimistic so get a higher temp rating.

If you want to carry less weight you can get high fill (800 and higher) down but it will cost you. There are lots of quilt options as well to reduce the weight even more.

It is true that down doesn't insulate well when it is wet but these days good sleeping bags and quilts have water resistant outer materials and the down often has a hydrophobic coating so they don't get wet very easily. This may still be a concern in super humid environments but for the most part modern down bags are pretty water resistant.

Mummy bags are lighter than regular bags for a given temperature rating. Sleeping bags don't generate heat, they retain the heat generated by your body so your body heat needs to heat the (unused) corners of a regular cut sleeping bag. Some people feel constrained in a mummy bag and want the roominess of a regular bag but will generally need to get a bag with a lower temp rating to compensate.

A good sleeping pad is crucial because you will lose a lot of heat through conduction to the ground without one. Sleeping pads have recently started using r ratings as a consistent way to report the insulating value so that helps. Pads with an r value below about 2.3 should be considered summer use and you probably want an r value of at least 5 for true winter use. For occasional use in 15 degree weather you have a couple of options:
1. spend the money to get a winter pad, which will be overkill the rest of the year
2. get a 3 season pad and an inexpensive pad and combine them for cold weather

For option 1 the NeoAir XTherm has the best combination of warm and lightweight but it is expensive. The REI Groundbreaker and Trailbreak are inexpensive winter pads that are somewhat heavier.

For option 2 the REI Flash is a good value and can be paired with a Therm-a-rest Z Lite Sol.

Gmul

FNG
I’ve been researching the same thing myself. Still on the fence over down or synthetic but will be going with a nemo bag because of the spoon shape

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I live in Alaska...and have for many years. I switched to down about 8 years ago or so. I was a bit nervous and unsure in the beginning, and I brought an insert with me me just in case for many years that I never used. That said, I've truly never looked back...I greatly prefer down over synthetic for reasons already mentioned. I spend at least a month every year (aggregate) sleeping in a tent...very remote hunting and remotely enjoying what Alaska has to offer...all throughout the state...including Kodiak (already mentioned).

If you choose to go the path of down, just remember (at minimum) the following: (1) You'll need a good sleeping pad with R-value, or you will be cold at night; (2) Moisture is your enemy...you need to transport that bag in the field in some kind of dry-bag (or even double dry bagged on float trips), and (3) on sustained trips when it is a clear and breezy day, give your bag a chance to air out.

Down bags are really not labor intensive...you just need to do things a bit different. For me, the pros definitely far outweigh the cons.

Last point, going the path of down is of course more expensive, and I'll let you in on a secret...if you are an outdoor person who is going to use that bag a lot in the future, then give careful consideration to spending even more money and buying a really good down bag...850 fill, sized well for your comfort, etc. You will save yourself money in the long run...I wish I had, but I've got the right one now!

Legend

WKR
Down all the way but do not waste your money on a 600 fill. If it isn't 800 to 850 you are buying a temporary bag that will be replaced in a season or two.

I do a lot of backcountry sleeping and when I take a hot tent I bring my 40 degree western mountaineering bag and keep the stove rolling all night. Even when it is sub zero this is my setup.

Down all the way. I actually just recently sold my 850 fill treat down bag to get a new bag that using 850 - 900 fill non-treated down. I have used both and although I think treated down does provide some value, I still think regular down outweighs the negatives. Regular down lofts better, and loft equals warmth.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely prefer down for a quilt or sleeping bag but utilize synthetic clothing for layering.
I lived in the PNW for a decade and most trips were in the Olympic National Park/Forest with untreated down…..and somehow I always managed to keep the down dry regardless of days of extremely wet conditions and never noticed any decrease in loft.
In any case it’s best to keep synthetic or down dry as neither will be pleasant when wet.

JRMiller

WKR
If you can afford a good down bag/quilt (i.e 800 fill or better) than get one and just dont let it fall in a river.
If you can't afford something 800 fill or better than synthetic is more cost effective.

mlgc20

WKR
I figure I’ve spent 1,000 nights in sleeping bags in my life. And I’ve never had a problem of getting my sleeping bag wet. Even hiking for a week in the rain, I can keep my sleeping bag dry. IMO, the only reason to use synthetic in a sleeping bag is to save money. There are some decent reasons to use synthetic in your clothing. But for a sleeping bag, I’d spend the money and get a good down bat.

If you expect constant wet...synthetic. If not, down. I hunted Utah in Nov and it snowed every hour of every day for a week...was glad I had a Wiggy's bag even thought it was heavy & bulky.

IMG_0285.jpg

For backpacking, I prefer down. I have only backpacked in the Rocky Mountain west, so take that with a grain of salt. Rain or dry, however, I have never regretted bringing along a nice 800-fill down bag.

For car camping, especially in the midwest, I would prefer synthetic. I'd probably get a wiggy's bag for longevity vs other synthetic insulations (but don't spend too much time on the website reading Mr. Wiggy's stuff because he is a salesman and makes some pretty wild claims). If your backpack is big enough you can even take it backpacking if you have to.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A down bag, if taken care of, will last you the rest of your life. Synthetics lose loft and warmth after a while and enough compression cycles. No comparison. Go with down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk