down vs synthetic sleeping bag?

I have used both over the years. Hard to o wrong with a quality version of either. Down takes a bit of care BT in truth so does synthetic. I try to air out my bag on good weather days regardless. It helps rid both down and synthetic of moisture and smells.

synthetic is going to be heavier, less compressible and cheaper. I like synthetic for temps from hot weather to about 20-25. Below that, I prefer down.

crich

WKR
A popular claim with synthetic insulation is the ability to hop in a bag with wet clothes and literally cook the moisture out and wake up dry. Ive messed with treated down that Ive pulled out of a bag and have no doubt that it will withstand a good soak but not so sure it will have any benifit when it comes to wicking mousture away from your body.

My primary bag is a 20 degree kifaru slick bag, I live on the Oregon coast, and that bag is a good compromise for what I do.

if I hunted in colder weather (30* is cold here) I would get a good down bag, and likely will at some point.
I think overall, down is the way to go in about every scenario, but everything is a compromise. I realize I will have to replace my bag at some point, nature of the beast… when I do, I will probably just get a low temp rated WM, and use my slick bag when it makes sense (probably a lot still) and have my WM when it makes sense.

what I do know, is sleeping bags are one of those things that it’s wise to buy quality… cheap sleeping bags effect your quality of life in the woods… get something you don’t plan on upgrading later if you go with down, cheap down bags aren’t worth the price tag… better off getting a good synthetic bag.

if you are somewhat careless, a good down bag might be a good fit… if you take care of your things, a good quality down bag is never a bad purchase

In a hot tent, I would only consider down.
I think the level of moisture depends on what kind of hot tent. If I'm in my Arctic Oven, then moisture is a non-issue. But my cimarron is by far the wettest tent I own. You bump the wall on that thing when the stove is off and it's raining on you. And if things get soaked, I can barely stand to run the stove for more than 15 minutes before I get toasted out of there. No way I could run the stove long enough to dry out a bag. I use a Nemo treated down bag with the water proof toe box. I'm tall so if I'm in anything other than an AO, I'm playing footsie with the soaking wet tent wall all night. I've never had a problem with my bag and I've been on some long soaker hunts. Since the down is treated, the only thing that ever gets wet is the actual bag. So the same concept applies that you just wear (sleep) it dry. It has worked for me so far without issue.

OP says he's from upper mid west. You talking ND upper midwest? ND is my old stomping ground, and I wouldn't worry much about things getting too wet in ND in the fall. If it rains, it might last for half a day and the sun/wind is back in full force shortly after.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Tuff call, I run a 20degree synthetic mummy bag on river trips or anytime moisture might be an issue, and a 20degree down quilt on my backpacking trips or anytime weight/space is a factor. That’s fall and winter trips.

I backpack all through southern Appalachia and typically being my Nemo down 800 fill. Shape is important and I toss and turn in my sleep. The spoon shape allows me the ability to move, stay warm and have a smaller footprint and weight than synthetic. Down all the way. A good tent will keep you dry. Good bags are DWR treated and down also hydrophobic coated/treated. If concerned about hiking in rain, get a good waterproof stuff sack.

Attachments

• C06D6557-C674-4E4B-AB4D-4239AE06C400.jpeg
    C06D6557-C674-4E4B-AB4D-4239AE06C400.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 16