Downside of a new job

bozeman

WKR
And- if you had, you would understand business changes are necessary, like the cost of ‘carrying time off’, along with a lot of other concepts……….

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Late 2020 and after almost 20 years on the job, I needed to make a change. Stress was killing me, restless nights, bad diet....etc. Pay was awesome, but it came at a price. So I "cold-turkeyed" and resigned. Stunned everyone!

After 30+ years away, I moved back home to work. No complaints. landed a great job with less pay and less stress! I lost all my personal time off from previous job and have had to start over. I took a month off on my last elk hunt....I had that much vacation and could make my own schedule. haha

Its been a great transition, but now that August had rolled around, the reality that I'll be on the sidelines sucks azz!!! lmao

But I'm happy and healthy! Slowly I'll build up my vacation time and be back in the woods. But for now, it'll be day hunts for me. 😎

Good luck to all this Fall. I'll be living vicariously through you all. Happy Hunting!
I quit my job of just shy of 25 years last November, took a week off in Montana, here I am with another trip to Montana this November, its all worth it. No bs pencil pushing boss anymore.

Poser

WKR
And- if you had, you would understand business changes are necessary, like the cost of ‘carrying time off’, along with a lot of other concepts……….

Yeah, but we’re now in an economy where employees have the leverage. If you ain’t offering what is considered to be an attractive job, be that pay, time off, scheduling or benefits, employees will move to greener pastures. Carrying over time off is the cost of attracting and maintaining talent. If attracting talent is not an issue, don’t rollover PTO. If attracting talent is an issue, which it probably is, rolling over PTO is a great way to make the job attractive.
Maintaining appropriate cash flow is the sign of a well run business. If you can’t maintain that cash flow, don’t run off your talent, fire yourself CFO, as that individual is the one who lacks talent

Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile. Im 20 years in on my job hauling fuel. Ive drove truck since age 21 ( 26 years ), 10 to 14 hours a day 5 days a week for 26 years. I would like to leave but 5 weeks vacation is hard to leave on the table and start over. At this point in my life Ive been smart with my money and am chasing time off not money. Leave and have shorter work days but start over on my vacation time , stay and enjoy 5 weeks off and continue long ass days is my dilemma.

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about a month in to a job change. Less pay but much better work/life balance, very flexible schedule, and more job joy/opportunities. But the downside is I can’t take vacation for 6mo, so no extended time off until after hunting season. I hade 4 weeks off planned for this fall at my previous job, but it will all work out in the end. Will still get a bunch of hunting in, just not several weeks in a row.

Reactions: AZ8
Full well aware that people, and businesses, operate on the margin. If your business model prevents a combination of benefits, you have the wrong business model.

People want to take time away from your business because of your business, they don't love you that much. A business owners employees are not the businesses assets. A business is in debt to the talent and experience it rents from people. Without them, you have no business sir...

Full well aware that people, and businesses, operate on the margin. If your business model prevents a combination of benefits, you have the wrong business model.

People want to take time away from your business because of your business, they don't love you that much. A business owners employees are not the businesses assets. A business is in debt to the talent and experience it rents from people. Without them, you have no business sir...

That's true, but without that business they have no job.

It's expensive to carry cash reserves over.

It's not some utopia, businesses need talent, but talent is usually worthless on its own. It takes a lot of work to keep everything rolling, people doing their specific jobs within a business. Usually the higest talent is paying other positions to make their jobs easier, but they don't realize that.

I'll encourage y'all to go out on your own, find out how great it is.

T28w

WKR

So I’m guessing you don’t own a small business.

OP
AZ8

AZ8

WKR
Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile. Im 20 years in on my job hauling fuel. Ive drove truck since age 21 ( 26 years ), 10 to 14 hours a day 5 days a week for 26 years. I would like to leave but 5 weeks vacation is hard to leave on the table and start over. At this point in my life Ive been smart with my money and am chasing time off not money. Leave and have shorter work days but start over on my vacation time , stay and enjoy 5 weeks off and continue long ass days is my dilemma.
Yup, that was my dilemma. I had the ability to carry over a certain amount of vacation every year. I was already earning 5 weeks per, but I always had unused days in the “bank” to carry over to the next year. Basically I could take any amount of time off throughout the year. It was a tough pill to swallow.

T28w

WKR
Yeah, but we’re now in an economy where employees have the leverage. If you ain’t offering what is considered to be an attractive job, be that pay, time off, scheduling or benefits, employees will move to greener pastures. Carrying over time off is the cost of attracting and maintaining talent. If attracting talent is not an issue, don’t rollover PTO. If attracting talent is an issue, which it probably is, rolling over PTO is a great way to make the job attractive.
Maintaining appropriate cash flow is the sign of a well run business. If you can’t maintain that cash flow, don’t run off your talent, fire yourself CFO, as that individual is the one who lacks talent

And how long do you see this as sustainable?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
And how long do you see this as sustainable?
Exactly why this is the moment everyone is choosing to make a change-- things are in influx and there's no greater time to re-evaluate what your skill set is worth to the competition.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I retired last year and have been doing some part time construction, handyman work to fund my hunt/fish habits.

I see some local job vacancies that I could go back and enter the work force and make a killing.

But then there's that little 4 letter word that deters me - B.O.S.S.

Squamch

WKR
I am on the cusp of this, the tower is about finished, and I expect to be laid off today or tomorrow. I have enough clients calling that I can probably make a go of it on my own again, but...I have a 4 year old son, and I don't want the stress again. I have 3 or 4 different offers on the table, so I'll shop around and see who wants to give me the most freedom...and, I won't have to answer my phone at 730pm about work.

That's true, but without that business they have no job.

It's expensive to carry cash reserves over.

It's not some utopia, businesses need talent, but talent is usually worthless on its own. It takes a lot of work to keep everything rolling, people doing their specific jobs within a business. Usually the higest talent is paying other positions to make their jobs easier, but they don't realize that.

I'll encourage y'all to go out on your own, find out how great it is.
Agreed, one is dependent on the other. Time off usually comes at the cost to the employee. If it doesn't, it should. More time off should mean less pay, another important concept to be understood; there are always trade offs. If the employer doesn't take care of their talent, their talent will go and offer it to their competitor, thank you tenets of a free-market.

As far as cash reserves go, that's why smaller outfits have a use it or lose it policy...

bozeman

WKR
I try to take care of the talent in my team, no questions asked there, but far too many believe their talents are required for a business to run.....walk away and see if we shut the doors....

as stated earlier, hats off to the OP for that decision, it was what was best for his health and well being.

T28w

WKR
Agreed, one is dependent on the other. Time off usually comes at the cost to the employee. If it doesn't, it should. More time off should mean less pay, another important concept to be understood; there are always trade offs. If the employer doesn't take care of their talent, their talent will go and offer it to their competitor, thank you tenets of a free-market.

As far as cash reserves go, that's why smaller outfits have a use it or lose it policy...
How does time off come at a cost to the employee if it’s pto?

Maybe I misunderstood but it seemed you were against the use it or lose it policy?