Downside of a new job

IDBB96

FNG
OP right now I'm in the midst of a combination of both your scenarios, at a job with lots of stress and compensation, but not there long enough to have a bunch of vacation time for long hunts.. Feeling your pain lol

I try to take care of the talent in my team, no questions asked there, but far too many believe their talents are required for a business to run.....walk away and see if we shut the doors....

If you don't need "talent" why do you hire it? If all the talent left, yeah, doors close...

How does time off come at a cost to the employee if it’s pto?

Maybe I misunderstood but it seemed you were against the use it or lose it policy?

Pay a guy $50/hr and give them 4 weeks off, or pay them $40/hr and give them 6 weeks off.

Only against a "use it or lose it" policy when they won't let you take it and force you to lose it. That's just plain chicken-shit...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't need "talent" why do you hire it? If all the talent left, yeah, doors close...

Pay a guy $50/hr and give them 4 weeks off, or pay them $40/hr and give them 6 weeks off.

Only against a "use it or lose it" policy when they won't let you take it and force you to lose it. That's just plain chicken-shit...
Sign me up for either one, who’s paying that anyway?o_O My wife is a perfect example of this, gets more pto for less pay and that’s better for us. For anyone reading this considering your options remember that pto is yours (within company policy) taking time off beyond that is not so easy (aside from fmla) just because you can afford unpaid time off doesn’t mean that you’re entitled to it.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've been considering leaving my job, but they really get their hooks in you with PTO. I'm trying to land a job with one of the handful of companies around here that offer unlimited PTO. Hopefully then I can negotiate a couple weeks off every fall.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

T28w

WKR
I've been considering leaving my job, but they really get their hooks in you with PTO. I'm trying to land a job with one of the handful of companies around here that offer unlimited PTO. Hopefully then I can negotiate a couple weeks off every fall.

How does a company offer unlimited pto?
I need people to work, so we can make money , then I can pay them for the work they have done.

The only scenario I can see this working is having enough people on payroll to account for those not there, be it sick or vacation or don’t want to come that day, and the business still function efficiently. Inflated payroll cost can kill profits of a small business. Or I would think it would most, it would mine.

gabenzeke

WKR
I need people to work, so we can make money , then I can pay them for the work they have done.

The only scenario I can see this working is having enough people on payroll to account for those not there, be it sick or vacation or don’t want to come that day, and the business still function efficiently. Inflated payroll cost can kill profits of a small business. Or I would think it would most, it would mine.
I've seen it called unlimited, flex pto, work life balance time, etc. Ultimately, you aren't working off a balance of time to be used. You negotiate time off based on having your stuff done and I'm guessing time in role plays a part. The studies companies have done shows employees are happier, take fewer sick days, and use less pto by going to that system. Honestly, having gone from managing a small business to now being in corporate America, I don't think it would work for a small company.

Poser

WKR

It’s a significant trend for sales and tech related companies, mostly bigger companies where a team can absorb workloads, but some smaller ones, too. You do still have to get your time off approved, so it’s not as if you can Bail for 5 weeks at will, more like you know a project will finish up on a certain date and see a window where you can take some time off. Virtually every study on the subject matter shows increased productivity with ample time off.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
We get unlimited PTO that we call FTO. Technically, the unspoken max before you have to have a chat with your manager for approval is 25 days. Well, actually 27 as we all just found out a few weeks ago that we actually get 2 “Diversity” days a year on top of the 25.

Some people take off way more than the 25-27 days. At least that’s what I’ve heard. My Buddy (in different department) never asks his boss or logs it. Just tells him and goes. His title is much much higher than mine though and his boss is laid back. My boss likes me to log it, but really wouldn’t care if I didn’t. I think last year I did around 20 days. This year I’ll probably end up doing 23-25 officially. We also get 10-11 holidays. All in all not a bad system.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We get unlimited PTO that we call FTO. Technically, the unspoken max before you have to have a chat with your manager for approval is 25 days. Well, actually 27 as we all just found out a few weeks ago that we actually get 2 “Diversity” days a year on top of the 25.

Some people take off way more than the 25-27 days. At least that’s what I’ve heard. My Buddy (in different department) never asks his boss or logs it. Just tells him and goes. His title is much much higher than mine though and his boss is laid back. My boss likes me to log it, but really wouldn’t care if I didn’t. I think last year I did around 20 days. This year I’ll probably end up doing 23-25 officially. We also get 10-11 holidays. All in all not a bad system.
What industry are you in?

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
What industry are you in?

We were in just EDA (Electronic design automation) aka software up until a giant company acquired us officially in the beginning of the year. So went from software/tech to a bit of everything. We went from 10k employees to almost 400k. Well, 300k now due to covid and such.

Our FTO policy carried over. Can’t say the same about our health, 401k, etc…..

Poser

WKR
I don’t have unlimited PTO, but as mentioned earlier, some managers in the company are pushing for it as well as a official 4 day work week. I do have 5 weeks PTO this year (rolls over up to 160 hours) while only 3 years in. Additionally, I can travel during the holidays to see family etc and not use any PTO. Unofficial “powder day” clause: “if there is more than 6 inches of powder, don’t ask, don’t tell.” Work at 1 of 2 offices on different sides of town or work from home, as you please. about 200 employees total, 1/4th remote and growing.

AZmark

WKR
Hey AZ8. Where in AZ are you. I did the same thing about 6 yrs ago. Im a native of eastern AZ and I had lived and worked in Phx for 30+ years. Had a great job with great pay and benefits and I was eligible for early retirement so I did it. Moved back to my eastern AZ home, started my own sole proprietor contracting business, and have never been happier. Good luck!!

BUCKELK

FNG
That's too bad that companies think you have to "earn" time off rather than it being part of your compensation package just like a wage is and you have some time iff on day one.

Been there, done that (not by choice), and will likely do it again, soon...
You have to produce more than you earn, simple laws of business. A general rule of thumb is an employee should not take more than 25% of what they bring in, otherwise the business would be healthier without. In my line of work, unless someone is dying, there's absolutely no way I'm paying them to go on a month long vacation unless they have at least produced four times as much as they would earn that month. You have to "earn" everything in life.

You have to produce more than you earn, simple laws of business. A general rule of thumb is an employee should not take more than 25% of what they bring in, otherwise the business would be healthier without. In my line of work, unless someone is dying, there's absolutely no way I'm paying them to go on a month long vacation unless they have at least produced four times as much as they would earn that month. You have to "earn" everything in life.

You do realize that the 25% does not only pertain to money, right? You do realize if the business wants top production (performance), it must give out top expenditure (compensation), right? You do realize the business gets it's four times more based on the human capital owned by the employee, right?

Only a fool in business thinks they can get top production for minimal investment, or in layman terms, a "bargain employee". Your formula isn't necessarily true as it also depends on the overall "overhead" or cost to do business against revenue coming in. Not all business models require a 4 to 1 ratio. What determines the output needed is the marginal product of labor and not some "rule of thumb".

The business has to "earn" everything in life as well...

Edit: And, the not taking more than 25% isn't the employees problem to worry about, it's the business's. If the business can't figure out how to adequately compensate the employee for their knowledge, experience, and skillset and still only give them 25% of what they produce, then the business needs to re-examine their business model...

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
You do realize that the 25% does not only pertain to money, right? You do realize if the business wants top production (performance), it must give out top expenditure (compensation), right? You do realize the business gets it's four times more based on the human capital owned by the employee, right?

Only a fool in business thinks they can get top production for minimal investment, or in layman terms, a "bargain employee". Your formula isn't necessarily true as it also depends on the overall "overhead" or cost to do business against revenue coming in. Not all business models require a 4 to 1 ratio. What determines the output needed is the marginal product of labor and not some "rule of thumb".

Hear hear! That 4:1 guy who’s shows up on time with a great attitude every day is the shop down the streets hot new 3:1 prospect. And a bargain at that.

Wrench

WKR
I just walked from a project management position with Wa state. I was able to bank OT as comp at 1.5/1 and so I was able to take all of September off and never touch my leave account.

I won a state award for innovation and had fantastic management chain....but my governor is not one I can support as much as my personal beliefs, so adios.

The market for skilled labor is demanding and compensation is higher than I've ever seen. My OT rate to pay specialty contractors was $450 per hour.. and they quit when told to be vaxed or no work from us.

BUCKELK

FNG

Edit: And, the not taking more than 25% isn't the employees problem to worry about, it's the business's. If the business can't figure out how to adequately compensate the employee for their knowledge, experience, and skillset and still only give them 25% of what they produce, then the business needs to re-examine their business model...
Man you are easily triggered, but still don't shoot straight!! I bet you got yourself a safe space at work where you go when rokslide guys hit a little too close to home huh!

My post was in reply to the guy who said he deserves a months time off the first damn day on job. That dude hasn't earned any respect yet with said employer. That's all I was replying to. Of course, true to a liberal snowflakes form, you never addressed this in your reply to me.

WCB

WKR
I don't know in what world I would take less time off if you gave me "unlimited" PTO...9 weeks off this year has been nice.

Man you are easily triggered, but still don't shoot straight!! I bet you got yourself a safe space at work where you go when rokslide guys hit a little too close to home huh!

My post was in reply to the guy who said he deserves a months time off the first damn day on job. That dude hasn't earned any respect yet with said employer. That's all I was replying to. Of course, true to a liberal snowflakes form, you never addressed this in your reply to me.
He proved himself to the employer the day he was hired, otherwise the employer doesn't know what he's doing. By your logic, an employee will never prove themselves to their employer until they let them take advantage of them. Liberal snowflake? Hardly. I easily get triggered when people like yourself think you have it all figured out when you don't.

Until you understand that an employer "rents" your human capital from you, you'll always be running in a circle chasing your tail.

Rokslide is hardly the place I'd go to see what the trends are in employment, recruiting, and compensation.

Here's a little wisdom for you to take home tonight by someone who's forgotten more than you know about this topic:

"In business as in life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate" ~ Dr. Chester Karrass

Good luck kiddo...

Last edited: