Downsizing to one rifle. Question is, which one.

I hunt Northern Minnesota Where we have BIG Black bears. I'll no longer be going out west. Just Black bear, moose and whitetails out to about 300 yards max. I've gotten rid of my short actions but I'm debating over keeping an 06 or my 8x57 or maybe stepping it up a notch to a 35 Whelen. Opinions?

OP
R
I hunt Northern Minnesota Where we have BIG Black bears. I'll no longer be going out west. Just Black bear, moose and whitetails out to about 300 yards max. I've gotten rid of my short actions but I'm debating over keeping an 06 or my 8x57 or maybe stepping it up a notch to a 35 Whelen. Opinions?
I should also have said I've used a 300 WBY for out west, Moose and Bears for the last 30 years so recoil isn't anything I worry about.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow MN Guy here, I'd have to agree on the 30-06, you've got a wide range in Bullet Weights too. You must be hunting Moose in other States or Canada as you will never be able to hunt Moose in MN in your lifetime again. Good Luck on your Choice!

Firehawk

WKR
A 35 Whelan, 338-06, or similar rifle sounds perfect. And not boring like the .30-06. We all know how good that cartridge is, but it is so boring. It does everything well, easy to load for, easy to find loaded ammo, easy to find components, but man..... :D

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Out to 300 the Whelen is awesome. 30-06 is enough with a 180 gr. No experience to comment on the 8x57

When these type of questions come up and a 30-06 is involved, it’s probably the right answer. That being said, I like different stuff and am intrigued by the whelen. Dammit, I really know the 30-06 is the right answer though…

robtattoo

WKR
I recently had this conversation with a buddy. The ol' hypothetical 'if you only had one'. We both hunt the same terrain, both chase elk out west each year.

We both have a range of rifles suitable for everything, both of us having lots of overlap. I have my Swede, he has a PRC. We both own 308 & 30-06. He has a 7-08, I have my 358. His .44 lever is my .30-30. You get the drift.

He settled on his '06 Sako. I immediately settled on my .358 Remington. His choice was based on familiarity, years of service etc. Mine was down to a mixture of bloody awkwardness & usefulness.

There's just......something......about a thumb sized bullet at a good speed.

Wapiti1

WKR
Need more info. What rifle is each cartridge in? Since the cartridges listed are basically identical ballistically inside of 300 yards, the choice is which rifle you like, or which is the coolest.

Jeremy