Downsizing to one rifle. Question is, which one.

I own an 06 and a whelen, and shot my biggest whitetail ever in high school with a barely altered 8x57 mauser (had a scope). Will make no appreciable difference in what you want to use it for - so pick with rifle you like best.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I only had one rifle at a time for most of my life until ~ 5-6 years ago. For a very long time, all I had was a 270 and it didn't seem like I ever needed more. Mule deer, elk , black bears were never a problem and that gun killed a ton of them all. When I moved up to AK, I didn't have much extra cash, all I had was a stainless ruger 30-06 with a 3-9 leupold on it. It worked just fine for moose, caribou and bears.

If I had to pick one now, I think a 30-06 would be a good choice.

Fellow MN Guy here, I'd have to agree on the 30-06, you've got a wide range in Bullet Weights too. You must be hunting Moose in other States or Canada as you will never be able to hunt Moose in MN in your lifetime again. Good Luck on your Choice!
Can if he’s a band member to one of several tribes.

In Wisconsin. I decided to go with the 30-06, as my one gun for now. The more that I look at the areas I may hunt I keep thinking about the 45-70.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Unless your .30-06 or 8x57 are something exceptionally unique I think you owe it to yourself to scratch you're .35 Whelen itch. We only get one trip around and you may find the .35 is exactly what you want. I know I enjoy mine, but like to have a lower cost/recoil option as well.

Agree, you already have the 30-06 and are still thinking about the Whelen, go for it. If you handload there's a ton you can do with it like downloading 35 Rem or 357 bullets for low recoil whitetail.

Last edited:
30-06 for sure. The definition of versatile.
I agree handsome is handsome does, no flies on the '06. However the 35 Whelen with 200, 225 or 250 gr bullets in my estimation is a one and done choice within the OP's parameters. Heavier bullets, more frontal diameter and similar recoil are benefits based on my experience with both cartridges on game up to the size of elk. 35 caliber bullets simply make more of an impression when they arrive on target.