Drathaar/kurzhaar owners

Wrench

WKR
I had a pudlepointer for about a year. That thing was a killing machine. It killed EVERYTHING that stepped in my yard. Once it brought me a leg from the neighbors terrier I knew it had to go.

DJB

FNG
We've got a breadless male and a breaded female, the best of both worlds.

Attachments

• brair (2).jpg
    brair (2).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 18
  • sage.jpg
    sage.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 18

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
My draht bitch is 8; after the training, and <unfortunately> only only one litter, She is the BEST dog ever.
These are absolutely unbeatable in terms of drive, and trainability, and SMARTS!

internet search for Heuerhaus in Cheyenne, or Vom Zeder in Berthoud, CO

Either are great kennels.

WKR
Harv here came from Heuerhaus, as did his cousin.

After seeing 4 years of work with these dogs and over 50 dogs in training, I'll stick with drahts.

deadwolf

WKR
I had a long post typed up but I lost it. Long story short, a very versatile high energy dog that needs lots of work and exercise. I am still learning how to train him and it’s not without its challenges, but very rewarding when progress is made. He’s very good with my family and gets along well with neighbor dogs and other people that come around. Super high prey drive and high energy. Needs a shit ton of exercise. If you have the time and energy for this type of dog I think you’ll be very happy. Mines just one year old as of last month.

46683105e66a6d67918288573367973f.jpg

e734135264da30be1f9abfd27db072c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tops911

FNG
I'm a Drahthaar guy, I've had one since 2004 and currently have 2, an 8 year old and a 13 month old pup. I believe in the VDD testing and breeding program which results in great dogs. My Drafts live in the house and I think Drafts do better in the house with the family. I got the pup because hunting in Montana we run into too many predators and I think its best to have a second dog to help the other if necessary. My 8 year old has pointed and I've flushed a black bear in easy shotgun range. She has chased a couple other black bears. She has pointed fox, coyotes, deer, bears, and even fish. When pheasant hunting she enjoys taking out raccoons. They are hunters and will hunt when ever the opportunity presents its self, sometimes in the must unexpected times. My old dog grabbed a pigeon while sight seeing in Bruge Belgium in front of a crowd of tourists. They are canine athletes and really need exercise. When not hunting we (the dogs and I) hike, run, bike, and cross country ski. My first Draht would pull me on my bike, she had a sled dog harness. it took like 2 trips for her to figure it out then it was game on. The first mile was at something like 19 mph. then she calmed down and would pull me over 6 miles. We have boated with them and had them on inner tubes with us while being pulled behind a boat. They are wicked smart and they need to be mentally stimulated. Training will need to be thought out to keep you and the dog on their toes. go to the same place to train or do the drill more than about 3 times and they will have it figured out setting your training objectives back a step. They are great dogs but not for everyone. If I could figure out how attach a pic I would.

tops911

FNG
I'll also add they are heat sensitive. In the summer I plan walks around early mornings and water sources since they get hot fast. As a previous poster said they can be manipulative, my first could and would work anyone to get what she wanted. She needed someone in charge and if she felt there was a lack of leadership she'd take charge. My daughter has a male DD that was raised with my grandson, dog is 8 grandson 9, they are the best of buds. If it has not been said, they have an inbred hate for cats which can cause issues at times.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody have a copy of the Armbruster training manual they no longer need and would sell?

My pup is 6 years old, she was bred from two versatile dog champions. Best bird dog I have ever had. She has over 500 pheasants so far and still going strong. She lives in the house with us and is great inside. But she is very high energy and can be very stubborn at times. Also like some of the previous posts noted, they can be manipulative to get food or attention. She is good with smaller dogs but scared of bigger dogs since she was bit by the neighbor’s dog when she was younger. I think somebody said it earlier as well, they hate cats ours will try to run them down. When she is out in the field she is extremely focused though you need to be careful in the heat because they will hunt themselves to death. They are tough as nails and just shed the briars, but collect a lot of burrs around their face. Drahthaars are about the best hunting dogs you can get and a great companion. Pm me if you have any questions or are looking for an excellent breeder.454A80CF-F7A4-4B2E-920D-A5C68A38262E.jpeg

Attachments

• 02E544CC-47CB-4029-88C2-FA3FB6252048.jpeg
    02E544CC-47CB-4029-88C2-FA3FB6252048.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 23

arock

Lil-Rokslider
7 months old in this pic. Monster of a pup. High energy, exceptional drive and focus, delight to be around (unless he hasn't been worked in a few days). Lots of work but well worth it. Registered as a GWP.

Edit: Awesome with other people, kids and dogs. Super friendly. We've done a lot of work to socialize him.

I'm in CO as well, shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions or want to talk about the breeder I got him from. I've met 2 other pups out of their program and they were great dogs too.

Attachments

• Monster.jpg
    Monster.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Antares

WKR
7 months old in this pic. Monster of a pup. High energy, exceptional drive and focus, delight to be around (unless he hasn't been worked in a few days). Lots of work but well worth it. Registered as a GWP.
Great looking dog. Alaska?