Draw Length/Anchor Point and Peep Acquisition

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm just an overthinker, but here goes...new archer, as of June 2020.

I'm 5'8", I shot a Mathews 28 VXR all year this year. 27.5" DL, 60# DW, 6" mathews flatline stabilizer, thumb button release, 5 pin slider MBG pro sight. Super consistent and easy to anchor on my lower jaw, but I found myself having to lean my head super far forward and down in order to acquire my peep sight. Accurate to 60 yards (which is as far as I really shoot) but I felt like mechanically my shooting could be easier.

I just had my local shop build a PSE Evo NTN 33, as I was interested in trying out a longer ATA to see if it was really more forgiving. I set this bow up with a fast eddie double pin slider and the riddance 10" stabilizer, also 60# DW. The bow tech who owns the shop set my DL up at 29.5" on this bow, as he said it was important for peep and sight acquisition with the single pin on the slider. I draw this bow super easy, peep is immediately acquired, sight picture is super clear, but my anchor position is basically at my ear or floating behind my face, meaning I'm basically using my perfect peep picture as my visual anchor.

In other words, I've never acquired a peep so easily, but not having an anchor position on my face is contrary to everything I've ever read, watched, learned, or been told by anyone except this tech. I took the PSE NTN 33 out to sight it in and I shot super accurate groups right off the bat. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading, and for sharing your insight. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty obsessed with getting everything right so I can make quick clean kills this coming season.

cjdewese

WKR
I am new to it all this year as well but I think your draw length is quite a bit too long. I think your peep wasn't aligned properly with your old bow too low would be my guess. I'm 6' and my DL is 29 and my arms are pretty average. It's possible for you to have that long of a draw but I think you would need to have abnormally long arms.

Rob5589

WKR
Could be peep height, draw length, string angle difference. Check our some of Dudley's videos on proper draw length, peep set up, etc.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Could be peep height, draw length, string angle difference. Check our some of Dudley's videos on proper draw length, peep set up, etc.
Based on all of his videos and formulas, my DL should be like 26"...that's why I'm so confused...and at the same time, my shooting is really good!

Rob5589

WKR
Formulas and such will get you close. 29.5" dl does seem long for someone 5'8". For reference, I am 6'2" and draw 30.5". Post some pics of you at full draw.

wayoh22

WKR
Def post some pictures at full draw so we can see. I'm 6'2, 260 and I'm at 29in DL

Your draw length is too long, unless your knuckles drag.

Just because you shoot it accurately doesn't always mean it's best, and you will likely improve by shortening it. Sounds like your VXR has the peep in the wrong position.

I suspect you are getting a lot of face pressure with a draw that long, you won't notice it with fieldpoints, once you are shooting broadheads you will notice it.

I'm trying to understand why the peep is more important with a slider than a fixed sight? Might be something I'm not familiar with, it can definitely be an issue maintaining the same anchor as the slider moves down. I don't see how lengthening the draw helps this, it gets the peep closer to your eye, but it makes you float your hand to keep it there. Sounds like you are currently doing that. I like having a solid anchor with my hand on my jaw, string on the tip of my nose, then place the peep where it needs to be.

Maybe I'm just an overthinker, but here goes...new archer, as of June 2020.

I'm 5'8", I shot a Mathews 28 VXR all year this year. 27.5" DL, 60# DW, 6" mathews flatline stabilizer, thumb button release, 5 pin slider MBG pro sight. Super consistent and easy to anchor on my lower jaw, but I found myself having to lean my head super far forward and down in order to acquire my peep sight. Accurate to 60 yards (which is as far as I really shoot) but I felt like mechanically my shooting could be easier.

I just had my local shop build a PSE Evo NTN 33, as I was interested in trying out a longer ATA to see if it was really more forgiving. I set this bow up with a fast eddie double pin slider and the riddance 10" stabilizer, also 60# DW. The bow tech who owns the shop set my DL up at 29.5" on this bow, as he said it was important for peep and sight acquisition with the single pin on the slider. I draw this bow super easy, peep is immediately acquired, sight picture is super clear, but my anchor position is basically at my ear or floating behind my face, meaning I'm basically using my perfect peep picture as my visual anchor.

In other words, I've never acquired a peep so easily, but not having an anchor position on my face is contrary to everything I've ever read, watched, learned, or been told by anyone except this tech. I took the PSE NTN 33 out to sight it in and I shot super accurate groups right off the bat. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading, and for sharing your insight. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty obsessed with getting everything right so I can make quick clean kills this coming season.
29.5 is certainly too long. With a sliding sight a d shooting longer ranges you may want to set your peep height when acquiring a target at 40 yards instead of 5 like they do in the shop. Sometimes with short ata bows or bows with acute string angles it may not be possible to touch your nose to the string without dipping in a little. I would be more worried about a perfect consistent anchor and then adjust the peep and bow to accommodate that not vice versa.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
im 5’ 8” and my dl is 29 comfortably. i anchor my middle front knuckle on the back, bottom corner of my jaw. it’s certainly not floating out in space. it sounds like your draw length may be a bit to long. shorten her up a 1/4 in at a time until the back of your hand finds a landmark to rest on

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, you get your DL right, then your anchor, and then set your peep. You should be able to draw with your eyes closed........then anchor, and when you open your eyes (or eye) your peep should be in perfect position........every time.

Reactions: ZDR

MattB

WKR
Based on all of his videos and formulas, my DL should be like 26"...that's why I'm so confused...and at the same time, my shooting is really good!
How is it on steep uphill shots? That will test your DL really fast.