Draw length

McKay Bob

FNG
To keep it short, I did not have the best start for my bow hunting bow selection when I started in 2013. I went into the shop today to finally look at a new bow. The guy measured me and said that I am at a 31.5. I was like, well I have only shot at 30 for years. He set up a Hoyt Ventum 33 at 31 DL. My mind was blown. Has anyone had a similar experience with shooting too short of a DL? It could also be that I was shooting bows that are 8 years newer too.

OR Archer

WKR
This isn’t uncommon. I’ve helped a lot of guys over the years who had been shooting way to short of a draw length. It’s like a light switch going off for a majority of them.

I’ve run across a lot of guys who are set up too long of a DL. Makes a big difference when they get it proper length

OP
M

McKay Bob

FNG
I kinda wonder if it has something to do with being close to the 30” mark and that most bows top out there; the shop only has so much inventory especially in a small town. It is sort of like trying to find Levi’s when you have a 38” inseam. Good chance you will be walking around in high waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It is sort of like trying to find Levi’s when you have a 38” inseam.
Get you some Wranglers, I wear 36w 38L.

As for draw length, my actual measured draw length on my main bow by marking the arrow at the throat of the grip and adding the 1.75" is 32 7/8". However, I can shoot a 30" draw bow just by bending my bow arm elbow a bit more and keeping everything else the same. Definitely not as comfortable.....but doable.

sndmn11

WKR
I think a lot of people shoot with a bent arm, collapsed shoulders, a long neck release, and a loop and inch too long. That all adds up.

OP
M

McKay Bob

FNG
I think a lot of people shoot with a bent arm, collapsed shoulders, a long neck release, and a loop and inch too long. That all adds up.
That describes me to a T. I just did not know any difference. The release is something I think will be hard to change at this point; it feel like I am jammed up to shorten the release because I have been using a long one for such a long time. Where I really noticed it was in my shoulder that holds the bow. It was like a lightbulb went off in my head. I felt like I had a lot more control over what I was doing.

OP
M

McKay Bob

FNG
Get you some Wranglers, I wear 36w 38L.

As for draw length, my actual measured draw length on my main bow by marking the arrow at the throat of the grip and adding the 1.75" is 32 7/8". However, I can shoot a 30" draw bow just by bending my bow arm elbow a bit more and keeping everything else the same. Definitely not as comfortable.....but doable.
LOL...so true on the Wranglers. I have not owned a pair of Levi's since junior high. Cinch, Ariat, Kimes Ranch all make longer jeans too. It is just that I was under the impression that a lot of bow manufactures try to hit the middle and smaller bow shops will have an inventory that reflect that too.

sndmn11

WKR
That describes me to a T. I just did not know any difference. The release is something I think will be hard to change at this point; it feel like I am jammed up to shorten the release because I have been using a long one for such a long time. Where I really noticed it was in my shoulder that holds the bow. It was like a lightbulb went off in my head. I felt like I had a lot more control over what I was doing.
I think the arm and shoulders can be an epiphany. When @KickinNDishin starts shooting left and low, it is all in her front shoulder and elbow. When things are in line with back tension and bone, it actually feels like you are stretching things out and you go from averaging an 8 on the 3d course to averaging 10.

I have a bow where you don't need a press to change the draw length from 25 or 26 to 30. When I got into shooting every day again and really examining what I needed to fix, draw length was an inch too short. Now it is 27.5 and perfect.

Blandry

WKR
How did he 'measure' you? I'm on a Hoyt RX4 Carbon Turbo @28'' dl with the #2 cam maxed out. I'd have to go to a #3 cam for 28.5''+ and lose speed (but gain draw smoothness I guess). I 'measure' using the tip of finger to tip of finger at 71'' or 28'' dl but have always shot 28.5'' dl. 28 feels good to me especially with heavy clothing on like I would be wearing in the field.

OP
M

McKay Bob

FNG
How did he 'measure' you? I'm on a Hoyt RX4 Carbon Turbo @28'' dl with the #2 cam maxed out. I'd have to go to a #3 cam for 28.5''+ and lose speed (but gain draw smoothness I guess). I 'measure' using the tip of finger to tip of finger at 71'' or 28'' dl but have always shot 28.5'' dl. 28 feels good to me especially with heavy clothing on like I would be wearing in the field.

I was measured with a measuring tape. Not to sound like a smart ass or anything. Then he did the formula and came up with a 31.5 DL. Then I shot different bows at different draw lengths. I could feel quite a difference at 31 vs 30. If what you are doing works for you, then don’t change it.

Blandry

WKR
I asked because there are a couple different ways of measuring. Arms outstretched from tip to tip of middle finger, base of palm to jawbone, etc. I get about .5” difference between the different measuring types.

I guess whatever feels best and you’re not ducking your head to see through the peep.

OP
M

McKay Bob

FNG
I asked because there are a couple different ways of measuring. Arms outstretched from tip to tip of middle finger, base of palm to jawbone, etc. I get about .5” difference between the different measuring types.

I guess whatever feels best and you’re not ducking your head to see through the peep.

Ok…I got it; he measured from tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger.