Draw weight on a hunting/3D bow

Let's see how quickly this thread turns to shit.

*Disclaimer*

I believe you should shoot the heaviest bow you can, comfortably.

*end of disclaimer*

I used to shoot 80lb limbs 4 or 5 years ago. Then switched to 70's just because it was easier to do when buying a bow off the rack. Normally I shoot a few times a month in winter and ramp it up to almost daily starting in spring leading up until elk season. I workout 7 days a week. Next year I would like to do a few 3D events.
I'm looking at swapping my 70lb limbs for 80's, simply because I feel I can. I can hold at full draw for well over 90 seconds and still hit the center ring at 20 yards, and I can draw seated with my feet up no issue. I can probably hold for at least two minutes, I just haven't tried. If you are looking to up your draw weight, when do you do it? Does anyone shoot 80's at 3D events?

How many comments until this turns into a pissing match?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Used to shoot 96 on a couple Hoyts I remodeled.
Same as you, I shoot 70# for everything, because it’s easier to find the bows.
Have thought about getting 80# limbs, but I shoot through everything now, so what’s the point.
Shoot what you’re comfortable with.

3forks

WKR
For 3D, I only see an advantage to a bow with heavier limbs if you’re shooting unknown distance events where a flatter trajectory is a bigger benefit.

However, if you suck at judging distances - even a fast bow isn’t going be a huge advantage.

In terms of hunting, it‘s your call as to whether you think 80 pound limbs would be a benefit, but I’m sure you’re aware of the cons (harder to get fixed blades tuned at higher speeds, cold temps / drawing your bow, and as mentioned - availability of limbs, etc.)

OP
streetdoctor
For 3D, I only see an advantage to a bow with heavier limbs if you’re shooting unknown distance events where a flatter trajectory is a bigger benefit.

However, if you suck at judging distances - even a fast bow isn’t going be a huge advantage.

In terms of hunting, it‘s your call as to whether you think 80 pound limbs would be a benefit, but I’m sure you’re aware of the cons (harder to get fixed blades tuned at higher speeds, cold temps / drawing your bow, and as mentioned - availability of limbs, etc.)
I have two dozen 250 spine arrows already which should work well. Finished weight is around 490 I believe. I started shooting SEVR's this year so I'm a little intrigued by potentially shooting a hunting arrow at 295-300fps. That's one of the main reasons why I'm thinking of going to 80's. I also went to a 5 pin Vs a 4 pin site this year and im no where near as much of a fan. Im thinking with 80's I may even drop to a 3 pin.

There's really not much speed advantage to an 80# bow versus 60#.

If you want speed shoot 5 gpp, there gets to be a slight advantage to the heavier arrow at distance, however if you shoot lighter out of a well tuned bow, with skinny arrows and low profile vanes it will carry well at distance.

I shoot a lot, in a lot of different venues. I can comfortably shoot 75#, however while tracking scores they always go down as I increase poundage.

I don't know anyone who shoots 80# at 3d. I did watch a guy throw his bow and say **** this chit show about 20 arrows in at the Lancaster Classic last year, he actually missed the whole bale. That ain't 3d, but I bet he thought he could shoot that 80# Atlas like it was butter.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting 80lbs makes sense if you’ve got a really short draw length. I guess it makes sense if your a draw like 29 inches but want to shoot 550 + arrow 280fps or more. I didn’t notice a huge difference between 68 - 74lbs but I wouldn’t want to shoot 74lbs 30 times in a hour but over 3 hours leisurely it wouldn’t be horrible for 3D but just like weightlifting shorter rest periods you’ll see a deterioration of form if the weight stays the same. Heavy weight isn’t enjoyable to shoot and I’ll throw 60# mods in my bow for indoor and I’ll most likely keep that set up until hunting season.

There's plenty of people that can handle it, but like others have said there is very little advantage to going up to 80 lbs. Comfort is relative, but the more comfortable you are the more repeatable your shot will be.

Personally, most people I meet shooting 80 lbs shouldn't be, and a good chunk of casual archers probably shouldn't be shooting 70...

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
My bow is maxed at 72. I think lighter is better when the temps drop, sitting motionless in a tree stand for hours in single digits temps makes heavier poundage a harder draw, ask me how I know, lol.

danwolf

FNG
I've recently gone from a 80 lbs 2018 model Hoyt to the new 70lbs PSE EVO XF. At 27.5" draw I was getting 270 fps with 475 grain arrow, and now 282 fps with the PSE.

80 lbs might give you a slight advantage, but all depends how efficient the cam is for your draw length as well. Also if you can hold for 2 minutes at full draw, how long could you hold a few pounds more, less time maybe? I'd be able to hold longer, especially you get something coming in and it hangs up a moment.

OP
streetdoctor
I've recently gone from a 80 lbs 2018 model Hoyt to the new 70lbs PSE EVO XF. At 27.5" draw I was getting 270 fps with 475 grain arrow, and now 282 fps with the PSE.

80 lbs might give you a slight advantage, but all depends how efficient the cam is for your draw length as well. Also if you can hold for 2 minutes at full draw, how long could you hold a few pounds more, less time maybe? I'd be able to hold longer, especially you get something coming in and it hangs up a moment.

I'm currently shooting a 450gr arrow in the mid 280's with 70lb limbs out of a Ventum pro 33 at a 28.5" draw. If I swapped to 80's and went to the 250 spine arrows that I have I'm guessing my arrow speed would be low to 290's. I have two dozen 250 spine arrows vs a dozen of the 300's im shooting this year. Not a big deal but I have a guy willing to do a straight trade for limbs. I shoot at 80% let off currently but have the ability (legally in Colorado) to set it to 85%. I don't necessarily see the need to hold for longer than a minute though. At 80% let off I'm thinking the difference in holding 14lb vs 16lb isn't going to change much.

The issue would be if I don't like the 80's I'd have to repurchase a set of 70's. Any guesses on performance issues backing 80's down to 75? I know it will probably extend my draw length a little but that can be adjusted.

danwolf

FNG
I'm currently shooting a 450gr arrow in the mid 280's with 70lb limbs out of a Ventum pro 33 at a 28.5" draw. If I swapped to 80's and went to the 250 spine arrows that I have I'm guessing my arrow speed would be low to 290's. I have two dozen 250 spine arrows vs a dozen of the 300's im shooting this year. Not a big deal but I have a guy willing to do a straight trade for limbs. I shoot at 80% let off currently but have the ability (legally in Colorado) to set it to 85%. I don't necessarily see the need to hold for longer than a minute though. At 80% let off I'm thinking the difference in holding 14lb vs 16lb isn't going to change much.

The issue would be if I don't like the 80's I'd have to repurchase a set of 70's. Any guesses on performance issues backing 80's down to 75? I know it will probably extend my draw length a little but that can be adjusted.

When you get a limb swap you pay for the limbs, maybe $120. Make sure to ask the shop to keep your old ones, and yeah you can swap back. You could add a few twists to the cables, not your bow string to get close to 75 if you want to try that without going to 80. I don’t know performance wise what you’ll get, you might not even get exact 80 lbs when swap for 80 pound limbs and you might have to twist cables to get up to 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get a limb swap you pay for the limbs, maybe $120. Make sure to ask the shop to keep your old ones, and yeah you can swap back. You could add a few twists to the cables, not your bow string to get close to 75 if you want to try that without going to 80. I don’t know performance wise what you’ll get, you might not even get exact 80 lbs when swap for 80 pound limbs and you might have to twist cables to get up to 80.

Where are you getting limbs for $120?

I haven't seen that as even a dealer cost. Generally it's been 2-250.

Older solid limb bows you can get them for around 120 at dealer cost, but any newer bow with split limbs is costing more.

MattB

WKR
On a bowhunting forum I frequent, new threads pop up every couple of weeks asking questions about shoulder surgeries. Something to weight against the actual performance benefits of an 80# bow versus a 70# bow.

OP
streetdoctor
On a bowhunting forum I frequent, new threads pop up every couple of weeks asking questions about shoulder surgeries. Something to weight against the actual performance benefits of an 80# bow versus a 70# bow.

Those threads are what causes me pause!!! I'm not a big guy, but I work out 7 days a week. I'm 6' 185lb. If I'm doing bent over rows with 80lb dumbbells for 5 sets of 8 I feel like 80lb limbs are a no brainer?

I agree that a lot of people probably shoot 80lb limbs that shouldn't and I don't want to be one of those guys. Drawing 70 does not feel difficult to me though... ever. Cold, first shot of the day, sitting down, etc.

To me, your joints are like an engine. You can burn up the bearings pretty quickly if you really want to push things, or go easier on it and make it last a lifetime. My knees are only lifting (×) number of pounds, less weight I carry everyday (belly) the longer they will last. I was told years ago an engine is only going to make so much horsepower over its lifetime, you can make it last, or burn it down going full throttle everywhere.

danwolf

FNG
Where are you getting limbs for $120?

I haven't seen that as even a dealer cost. Generally it's been 2-250.

Older solid limb bows you can get them for around 120 at dealer cost, but any newer bow with split limbs is costing more.

I did this over a year ago, but I see I paid $220 installed. My bad, I slept since then.

OP
streetdoctor
To me, your joints are like an engine. You can burn up the bearings pretty quickly if you really want to push things, or go easier on it and make it last a lifetime. My knees are only lifting (×) number of pounds, less weight I carry everyday (belly) the longer they will last. I was told years ago an engine is only going to make so much horsepower over its lifetime, you can make it last, or burn it down going full throttle everywhere.
Lol! I've heard that before but it's just not true. The difference is if you rev your engine it won't build more horsepower... your body will build more muscle/vasculature/stronger tendons/ligaments, etc.

If that's the case I should stop working out and sit on the couch 😜 I've been working out HARD for the last few years and at 38 I feel better than I did in my 20's.