Draw weight on a hunting/3D bow

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The problem with comparing a biomechanical system (joits, Etc.) to a mechanical system is that the biomechanical system repairs itself.

An engine cycle is an engine cycle, every one adds wear and the engine, regardless of preventative maintenance, will only go for so many before things wear out.

If the repair mechanisms are not overloaded (over training), a biomechanical system will undergo compensation and not only repair the damage, but be stronger following the repair. Unlike a purely mechanical system, the biomechanical system will weaken itself intentionally if not used to be more efficient.

The problem with comparing a biomechanical system (joits, Etc.) to a mechanical system is that the biomechanical system repairs itself.

An engine cycle is an engine cycle, every one adds wear and the engine, regardless of preventative maintenance, will only go for so many before things wear out.

If the repair mechanisms are not overloaded (over training), a biomechanical system will undergo compensation and not only repair the damage, but be stronger following the repair. Unlike a purely mechanical system, the biomechanical system will weaken itself intentionally if not used to be more efficient.

Cartilage has no blood flow, it doesn't repair without surgery.

Or else I'm just an idiot for listening to Surgeons and Doctors.

I'll bow out of this.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Cartilage has no blood flow, it doesn't repair without surgery.

Or else I'm just an idiot for listening to Surgeons and Doctors.

I'll bow out of this.
That is the conventional wisdom.

Blinded, randomized control trials have shown activity helps improve symptoms in osteoarthritis, throws a bit of a wrench in the idea that using the joint is the problem (though over use is). Synovial fluid provides nutrients and oxygen to cartilage, it is still a living tissue. It certainly has a significantly more limited ability to regenerate than muscle or bone, but unlike a ball bearing, its cellular matrix changes and adapts in response to activity. Surgery techniques can also be directed at improving regeneration rather than replacement (more promising early in degeneration).

That is the conventional wisdom.

Blinded, randomized control trials have shown activity helps improve symptoms in osteoarthritis, throws a bit of a wrench in the idea that using the joint is the problem (though over use is). Synovial fluid provides nutrients and oxygen to cartilage, it is still a living tissue. It certainly has a significantly more limited ability to regenerate than muscle or bone, but unlike a ball bearing, its cellular matrix changes and adapts in response to activity. Surgery techniques can also be directed at improving regeneration rather than replacement (more promising early in degeneration).

Yes, surgery, and surprisingly low impact surgery, can help regeneration. But what it can do on its own is still very limited.

And stuff just still ain't the same after, definitely better than it was tho.

I recently went from 60lbs to 65lbs only to get me more speed and distance for my 3D arrows (for events like TAC, etc...). Otherwise I'd still be at 60lbs. To me, 60lbs is plenty enough to kill anything you need to, but shoot whatever makes you happy.

Marble

WKR
The best move I made was getting a dedicated target bow. Less vibration, less draw weight less sore joints from shooting g for hours every week.

I also font need to change my entire set up on my hunting bow anymore. It stays in its hunting form, shoots hunting arrows etc.

If you shoot year round and shoot amateur type events you'll develope great habits for shooting that will transform directly I to your hunting bow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was told years ago an engine is only going to make so much horsepower over its lifetime, you can make it last, or burn it down going full throttle everywhere.
I've gone full throttle since the day I was born.......just ask my parents. ;)

But ya........at 57 my joints are worn down. But I still go full throttle. What can you do........just keep living in pain.

I've gone full throttle since the day I was born.......just ask my parents. ;)

But ya........at 57 my joints are worn down. But I still go full throttle. What can you do........just keep living in pain.

My anthem has turned into; I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was...

dtrkyman

WKR
I shot heavy draw when I was young, shot more arrows than most, was 155lbs shooting 84lbs, have zero injuries from shooting, everyone is different and proper technique goes a long way!

No one ver believed the draw weight I shot, even to the tune of making 100$ drawing a 100lb PSE gorilla at the PSE truck back in the day. Guys ribbed me all day trying to get me to try drawing it, I knew I could as I had built a guy a 100lb bow for an Elephant hunt, so whne they finally pooled the money together I drew the bow back like butter!

Fun times, and when you shoot 80 plus pounds every day the 100 aint no big deal, as well as being 20 years old!

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
55 years old and shooting 82lbs almost daily. 50 to 100 arrows a day. 70lbs feels like a kids bow to me.

nphunter

WKR
Shooting 73-74lb for everything, my last Hoyt was a 75lb bow from the custom shop which I also shot for everything.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 45 and shoot a 75 lb bow.. I could pull 85 but mathews doesn't make a module for it.. ill typically shoot on average 50 arrows a day. Sometimes 5 and sometimes 200. Just depends on what's going on.. I honestly tried dropping down to 65 after reading a bunch of threads of people doing that but sub 260 fps isn't for me..