Drawing WY Bighorn Tag NR

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
How many years do you think it would take to draw a bighorn tag in Wyoming for a Colorado resident, if ever?

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
If I read the report correctly...
2022 published draw data shows it took a minimum of 22-25 preference points to draw a Wyoming BHS non-resident tag.

However there are several thousand people with 0-22+ points, who also hope to draw a tag someday.
So the required number of points will increase each year. Point creep.
Tough game to play, especially if you are at the beginning of the line.

kjw

WKR
With the 90/10 change they made, starting now is virtually impossible. Random draw tags will be down to just a couple. I was at 15 points and have been basically kicked out of the game.
Rumblings about going to a squared points operation which may give a sliver of hope. But I’ll believe it when I see it. You’d probably have better odds buying tickets for the raffle up there

Reactions: CHL
Does anyone think it would be beneficial to go to a straight random drawing? At least for non residents for the OIL tags? I'd sure like to see my kids have a shot at drawing a tag like that. I know its a gut punch for the guys that have 25 points, I get that, but most of those guys are going to die with a bunch of points and no tags. A random draw just makes sense to me.

j_volt

WKR
Does anyone think it would be beneficial to go to a straight random drawing? At least for non residents for the OIL tags? I'd sure like to see my kids have a shot at drawing a tag like that. I know its a gut punch for the guys that have 25 points, I get that, but most of those guys are going to die with a bunch of points and no tags. A random draw just makes sense to me.
It makes sense, but it was be unprecedented (at least I think so) for a state to render points useless. A bonus point system is much more likely than a random system IMO.

CoHiCntry

WKR
How many years do you think it would take to draw a bighorn tag in Wyoming for a Colorado resident, if ever?

At least your a resident in a state that has sheep hunting. My advise would be forget about Wyoming or other western states at this point & count on drawing a sheep tag here in Colorado at some point. Maybe even two depending on your age.

WCB

WKR
I think at this point you are better off entering as many raffles and draws as possible. Also the goal should be to just get a sheep tag not a specofic sheep tag

squirrel

WKR
You are a Colorado resident play here where you have the advantage. Study the system, scout the units. Ive drawn 3 archery tags and filled two, could have been 3/3 but for setting a high bar on #3. Play WY like you buy a powerball ticket, hoping. Cause I got my best ram there, worth it.

Mojave

WKR
Concentrate on non-resident tags that do not have preference or weighted draws: Idaho, Oregon and New Mexico. Raffles are available in a lot of states. There are so many I don't have it charted out.

All you can do unless you have $75,000 for Alberta, or $50,000 for Mexico.

My son has 23 nonresident WY Sheep points and I have 23 Moose points. The 90/10 change was shocking news and a despicable breach of contract by Wyoming and is worthy of a Class Action lawsuit. With more than two decades of participation, we are too far invested to abandon at this point and can only wait to see how this mess plays out. I concur with previous comments about it being pointless to be a new participant in the WY point system and those with fewer than 20 points keep an eye on 90/10 implementation and possibly reconsider their WY point participation strategy. Least expensive of the 4 Wild Sheep species has always been a Dall Sheep hunt. But Alaska's Sheep success rates and harvest numbers have tanked. And Dall Sheep hunts in Canada's Yukon and NWT are priced above $30K. Opportunities look grim for Wild Sheep hunting especially for those with limited budgets. Raffles are a remote possibility but the best bet might be to book sooner rather than later and possibly take out a second mortgage if necessary. The price of Sheep hunts will continue to skyrocket and being in Sheep Shape gets more difficult with time and age. Good luck and best wishes to those afflicted with Sheep fever.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
It makes sense, but it was be unprecedented (at least I think so) for a state to render points useless. A bonus point system is much more likely than a random system IMO.
I don't see Wy completely doing away with the points system anytime soon, but you can bet that they will be moving in that direction soon...

I say this with confidence because it is becoming increasingly clear that Wyoming's BHS/Moose points system has become less profitable.

The writing has been on the wall for years, starting with the fee increase that his a couple of years ago, just as it became clear that point creep had placed tags out of reach for all except near max point holders.

But this week I received something from WDFGZ: a letter warning me that my points are going to expire, and urging me to buy points before it's too late. I have had points expire before and WDFG didn't reach out, so why are they now. The answer is obvious: their BHS/moose profits are crashing.

They will soon have no choice but to expand random drawings, or modify their system into some type of bonus points system.

Maybe Wyoming will decide to do the right thing and honor those who have been buying points for years by keeping the system as it currently is structured. But to do so will cost them a millions in (potential) profits, so don't hold your breath.

Mojave

WKR
"a despicable breach of contract by Wyoming and is worthy of a Class Action lawsuit"

I have bought a lot of Wyoming points over the years, and never read a thing that said that points were guaranteed to yield a tag, any tag.

I have even called the department and asked if "I can receive my father's points as part of his estate". The answer to that was "uh no!".

Do you have a copy of this contract they are breaching? I understand your emotion, as you probably have $2500 in those points. But unless you bought some kind of other points, "magical points" I never saw a contract when I bought points.

I do believe like Jason does that at some point they will expand random drawings. "They will soon have no choice but to expand random drawings, or modify their system into some type of bonus points system."

Hopefully it goes to a 50/50 random drawing.

Best option would be a bonus point system for 50% of the tags and a totally random for the other 50% of the tags. That way it honors the spirit of the previous preference point program and allows for inreach for those that haven't been doing this for 20 years.

My father is 84 and has 20 points as a resident. I do not forsee a situation where I could get his oxygen bottle breathing ass up the mountain to kill a sheep.

wapitibob

WKR
"a despicable breach of contract by Wyoming and is worthy of a Class Action lawsuit"

I have bought a lot of Wyoming points over the years, and never read a thing that said that points were guaranteed to yield a tag, any tag.

There never was, and never will be, a "contract", and time has shown none of these guys will ever file suit.

Ralphie

WKR
My son has 23 nonresident WY Sheep points and I have 23 Moose points. The 90/10 change was shocking news and a despicable breach of contract by Wyoming and is worthy of a Class Action lawsuit. With more than two decades of participation, we are too far invested to abandon at this point and can only wait to see how this mess plays out. I concur with previous comments about it being pointless to be a new participant in the WY point system and those with fewer than 20 points keep an eye on 90/10 implementation and possibly reconsider their WY point participation strategy. Least expensive of the 4 Wild Sheep species has always been a Dall Sheep hunt. But Alaska's Sheep success rates and harvest numbers have tanked. And Dall Sheep hunts in Canada's Yukon and NWT are priced above $30K. Opportunities look grim for Wild Sheep hunting especially for those with limited budgets. Raffles are a remote possibility but the best bet might be to book sooner rather than later and possibly take out a second mortgage if necessary. The price of Sheep hunts will continue to skyrocket and being in Sheep Shape gets more difficult with time and age. Good luck and best wishes to those afflicted with Sheep fever.
You have your points. That’s all the deal was good for.

wytx

WKR
Please file that lawsuit so we can all follow along. You have your PP and never had any contract or promise of drawing using them. I'm sure some lawyer will step up and take your case.