dream elk hunt

62flint

FNG
I am starting to plan my 2023 elk hunt, If you could apply and go anywhere, where would be your first choice?
My dream elk hunt is a wilderness horseback rifle hunt. I don't need a massive record book trophy just good odds of a decent bull. This will likely be my only chance to go so I want to make it the best chance I can.

Gila

WKR
Bucket list bull eh? Answer: Siberia!

Hope that your suit is flame retardant...good luck!

You probably don’t have the points to do that. Maybe. I’d do a Wyoming wilderness hunt. But pick the right outfitter. You’ll need a good 7 or 8 grand plus license, travel, and tips.

If I was planning a “dream hunt” I would have been doing it more than 5 months before it’s time to apply for a license. Yes folks… can you believe it, in 5 months we’ll be applying for a Wyoming elk tag. Wow!

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Any elk hunt prior to the existence of the internet and YouTube. That is my dream hunt.

Assuming you have no points? Not sure there is a “dream hunt” in your 2023 future unless you get lucky on a random tag or buy a landowner/outfitter tag. Not trying to be a jerk.

I’ve got multiple points in multiple states and I’m years away from some of my dream hunts.

Luck, money or time. Use one of those to get a tag and go from there.

Northpark

WKR
No points? Once in a lifetime? Want to go in 2023? Those three give you limited options. High dollar guided hunt with landowner tag in New Mexico, an OTC hunt in Colorado with everyone else or pay for private land guided access, or go buy a bunch of raffle tickets or an auction tag.

I concur with @Indian Summer . The pack in hunt I did last year was amazing, and I'd love to do another one. However, I am looking at NW WY, and its going to take 7-8 points plus around $10k from the outfitters I've looked into. Also most of these guys are booked solid out to '25. Good luck!

Compare the costs and an individual can have thousands of reasons to go north. OP already said he didn’t need a B&C bull.

But folks can spend their money however they like. If someone wants to overpay, then they can knock themselves out.

OP

62flint

FNG
Your dreams are just a little bigger and fancier than mine. Your average elk hunt is probably my dream so,,,,
And If I dont get drawn in 2023 then 2024,

OP

62flint

FNG
Wilderness horseback is going to cost, no matter the state or country.
Never said I was looking for cheap , Just a area with good shot opportunity/ elk population and pretty country . The bob marshal for instance is pretty but even the outfitters there tell you you have a 20%chance of shooting.

Never said I was looking for cheap , Just a area with good shot opportunity/ elk population and pretty country . The bob marshal for instance is pretty but even the outfitters there tell you you have a 20%chance of shooting.

Probably any place but the Bob or the Frank will do.

The Bob Marshall! Lol! Go read that thread! Try either Yellowstone Outfitters or Twin Peak Outfitters both in Wyoming.

OP

62flint

FNG
I had read the bob Marshall thread already and spoken to some folks in that area, I understand the shot opportunities' there are about 20% according to most outfitters,
I was thinking about new mexico but do not know much about that state

BryGuy

FNG
Southwest bulls (az, nm) have super cool antler dimensions, I’d like to put one of those on the ground at some point