Dream Hunt in progress, Aliulik Peninsula Spring 2021

Bighorse

WKR
I figured a hunting forum is a great venue to share my enthusiasm today. My name is Chris and I live in Ketchikan, AK. I moved up to SE Alaska in 2003. I've been hunting all over this state. Living the dream, some would say. I pay to live here and sacrifice some to make dream hunts a reality. I've hiked into many AK mountains over the years harvesting and smiling with friends and family. I'm a bear hunter too. I've primarily hunted SE AK and once on Kodiak for the large Brown variety. To date, I've enjoyed some success and have much respect for the large land predator. The prospect of holding a coveted Kodiak drawing tag has been a motivating factor in maintaining my residency in Alaska. It's one small, or large benefit of being up north! Each year I donate to ADFG in hopes I'll get, my chance. Because I live in SE AK, I only apply for the genuinely amazing units. The units of legend, Frazer Lake, Red Lake, and Aliulik Peninsula are where I would apply. In 2019 I put all my drawing opportunity into the Aliulik Peninsula for a Spring 2021 hunt. It's a one percent draw odds unit. Two days ago I was notified and have finally won! I'm going to be hunting Kodiak for a large brown bear. I've never been more prepared. I'm not a guide, just a DIY Alaskan with a heap of experience. I've shot some beautiful hided younger bears and have one large 15 yr old Brown Bear in the trophy room. So I'm firmly in the go big or go home camp! Now if I'm down to the last day and a beautiful blonde shows up...…..well, we all know how to treat a lovely blonde. Right?
But.....I'm ready for this. I'll be shooting a 416 Ruger Alaskan with a fixed four power Leupold. I'll fly in with a Seek Outside Tepee and Titanium Stove. I have everything I need gear wise and just need to show up ready and patient for Big Mo to make his appearance.
I really don't have too many questions honestly. Within 24hrs of winning the tag I have two solid air carriers recommended. I've got a few guys who have guided there chatting with me. I might get down to some nitty gritty details with a topo map early next year after I get confirmation of my drop zone. It's been fun having my best hunting partners actually jockey for position about who's going! LoL!
Dreams do come true gents. I made a commitment to live and hunt in AK and have moments of awe in the wilderness of AK as a result.
If you have a pics of the unit, I'd love to see them. If you have spring experience on Kodiak I'd like to hear your story :)
I've searched and found some great stories online too.

slick

WKR
Congrats! Looking forward to your posts about preparation and ultimately a successful hunt. Go get em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
Kodiak's bears and the island itself is a special place. Congratulations on a great tag. Sounds like your a hard hunter and a planner. You should do well. Pics and a story is expected.

AKBorn

WKR
Chris,

Used to enjoy reading your hunt stories on the AK Outdoors Directory! Will look forward to this one.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Lance has 4 tags and his wife has a 5th. Avoiding him is prob best. He paid off the Ahkiok Native Corp so he can hunt all their lands now as well.

Reach out to Zack Kenner, he has this years spring permit and he did some in depth research with regards to who owns what land, some interesting items of note in his research in that most of the maps are not accurate and you may be able to hunt some pretty incredible areas that look to be native owned but are actually not.

I had the fall tag there year before last, saw a few bears. Best of luck on your hunt, I think Spring will be better than the Fall.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Plan ahead for hide. A big boar with feet removed and fleshed fairly well will be over 100 pounds. So you can’t take as baggage - cargo only. Talk with cargo folks when you arrive for best game plan. They might be able to store in reefer or freezer for a few days before shipping out to make sure it gets cooled down if you get caught in field and sitting on hide. You will want to Keep it dry and cool from critter to salt. Some folks take salt and transporters
Could air drop salt if you get stuck. Have a plan.

A Big Dinosaur Boar skull is a truly impressive specimen. To me the skull is almost more of a trophy than the hide. Find a quality place to clean it and especially not boiled!

Here is a 29”+ next to a 27” for comparison.

And a nice 28”+

a0107a90b2720fe1395b6f9b4289d47a.jpg

43ad94f69d369379a7dd657e315fa767.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bighorse

Bighorse

WKR
I've been reading through many publications. It's possible to get a 28" plus skull. I did a calculation of 8.6 percent of Kodiak Skulls got that big. Also analyzing the graphs most 15 yr plus bears are achieving that size.
Thanks for the advise on hide care! I'm just getting it tanned so will likely be just shipping it to a guy in Anchorage. I'll reach out Zack....I'm assuming he's an AK resident hunter?

OP
Bighorse

Bighorse

WKR
Update...
I received some advise on a pilot and talked with the guide operating in the unit. I decided to fly with a pilot that operates a wheel plane to access a beach. I have a solid partner who’s been hunting bears, sheep, caribou, Mt goat, wolverine and Sasquatch with me for over a decade. LoL!
Weather permitting I’ll get in the field April 15th. Flying into the city of Kodiak the 13th. Looks like we’ll be restricted to 200 pounds of food and gear. So it’s gonna be important that we conduct ourselves like sheep hunters with an electric fence and large bore rifles.

You are going to have a blast. I am jealous. Was down there this fall, love that area. Have a good hunt and nice call on the wheel plane.

Congrats on drawing a great unit! I hunted Three Saints bay spring of 2018 with a buddy and he took a beautiful 9.5’er. We saw a ton of bears and covered very little country. He’d hunted the fall hunt a couple years before and didn’t see nearly as many. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your hunt report.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Congratulations and please keep this thread alive with logistics and planning and pictures for those of us who live vicariously through guys making adventures like this a reality.

I figured a hunting forum is a great venue to share my enthusiasm today. My name is Chris and I live in Ketchikan, AK. I moved up to SE Alaska in 2003. I've been hunting all over this state. Living the dream, some would say. I pay to live here and sacrifice some to make dream hunts a reality. I've hiked into many AK mountains over the years harvesting and smiling with friends and family. I'm a bear hunter too. I've primarily hunted SE AK and once on Kodiak for the large Brown variety. To date, I've enjoyed some success and have much respect for the large land predator. The prospect of holding a coveted Kodiak drawing tag has been a motivating factor in maintaining my residency in Alaska. It's one small, or large benefit of being up north! Each year I donate to ADFG in hopes I'll get, my chance. Because I live in SE AK, I only apply for the genuinely amazing units. The units of legend, Frazer Lake, Red Lake, and Aliulik Peninsula are where I would apply. In 2019 I put all my drawing opportunity into the Aliulik Peninsula for a Spring 2021 hunt. It's a one percent draw odds unit. Two days ago I was notified and have finally won! I'm going to be hunting Kodiak for a large brown bear. I've never been more prepared. I'm not a guide, just a DIY Alaskan with a heap of experience. I've shot some beautiful hided younger bears and have one large 15 yr old Brown Bear in the trophy room. So I'm firmly in the go big or go home camp! Now if I'm down to the last day and a beautiful blonde shows up...…..well, we all know how to treat a lovely blonde. Right?
But.....I'm ready for this. I'll be shooting a 416 Ruger Alaskan with a fixed four power Leupold. I'll fly in with a Seek Outside Tepee and Titanium Stove. I have everything I need gear wise and just need to show up ready and patient for Big Mo to make his appearance.
I really don't have too many questions honestly. Within 24hrs of winning the tag I have two solid air carriers recommended. I've got a few guys who have guided there chatting with me. I might get down to some nitty gritty details with a topo map early next year after I get confirmation of my drop zone. It's been fun having my best hunting partners actually jockey for position about who's going! LoL!
Dreams do come true gents. I made a commitment to live and hunt in AK and have moments of awe in the wilderness of AK as a result.
If you have a pics of the unit, I'd love to see them. If you have spring experience on Kodiak I'd like to hear your story :)
I've searched and found some great stories online too.
DO NOT FIRE UP THAT TITANIUM STOVE UNTIL AFTER YOU KILL A BEAR. Wood smoke and kodiak bears , especially big cagey boars , they will just leave if your human presence is that pronounced. Candid 2 cents

Plan ahead for hide. A big boar with feet removed and fleshed fairly well will be over 100 pounds. So you can’t take as baggage - cargo only. Talk with cargo folks when you arrive for best game plan. They might be able to store in reefer or freezer for a few days before shipping out to make sure it gets cooled down if you get caught in field and sitting on hide. You will want to Keep it dry and cool from critter to salt. Some folks take salt and transporters
Could air drop salt if you get stuck. Have a plan.

A Big Dinosaur Boar skull is a truly impressive specimen. To me the skull is almost more of a trophy than the hide. Find a quality place to clean it and especially not boiled!

Here is a 29”+ next to a 27” for comparison.

And a nice 28”+

a0107a90b2720fe1395b6f9b4289d47a.jpg

43ad94f69d369379a7dd657e315fa767.jpg
Rotten! Nice skulls Amigo! LOVE IT

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Update...
I received some advise on a pilot and talked with the guide operating in the unit. I decided to fly with a pilot that operates a wheel plane to access a beach. I have a solid partner who’s been hunting bears, sheep, caribou, Mt goat, wolverine and Sasquatch with me for over a decade. LoL!
Weather permitting I’ll get in the field April 15th. Flying into the city of Kodiak the 13th. Looks like we’ll be restricted to 200 pounds of food and gear. So it’s gonna be important that we conduct ourselves like sheep hunters with an electric fence and large bore rifles.
Right on. I was drawn for Uganik Lake this spring. I am going later than I wanted. I think I fly in on April 28. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. I have just a week in the field to get it done. Two days traveling to and from kodiak ate up too much time.

OP
Bighorse

Bighorse

WKR
Right on. I was drawn for Uganik Lake this spring. I am going later than I wanted. I think I fly in on April 28. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. I have just a week in the field to get it done. Two days traveling to and from kodiak ate up too much time.
Good Luck! I hear you on travel logistics, I'm going in two days ahead of the scheduled flight to finalize in-town logistics. I guess it's possible we'll cross paths if I experience delays. Good advise on the wood stove and scent control. The opportunity to out position a keen bear nose is the name of the game.

OP
Bighorse

Bighorse

WKR
DO NOT FIRE UP THAT TITANIUM STOVE UNTIL AFTER YOU KILL A BEAR. Wood smoke and kodiak bears , especially big cagey boars , they will just leave if your human presence is that pronounced. Candid 2 cents
Thank you sir! Good advise indeed. Big bears can be difficult to locate and I don't want to stack the odds in their favor. What about running a Mr. Buddy heater in a pole shelter? I would hope that wouldn't cause much more scent than all of our artificial and scent laden gear. Ultimately I know it's a chess match with those bears. Strategic moves with risk being the name of the game. I know what your saying, scent scent scent until the deed is done. I even considered a packraft to strategically move to get a favorable wind and or transport a hide.

OP
Bighorse

Bighorse

WKR
Mid Feb update:

Physically- I hired a personal trainer in December at $60 a session we meet twice a week and he gets my back and hips fired up for off trail work and heavy packing. In addition to that I get online workouts that mainly include swimming and hiking. I only train four days a week mostly. I'm still heavy at 245 but can swim two miles strait and hike a four mile cruise without stopping. I'm genuinely preparing for hiking out the famous 100+ pound skin. I'm experienced with the blade and will camp on the bear for a few hours taking out the paws and skull to minimize pack weight. The relevance of this is, I'll have a broader range when making tactical decisions. I had knee surgery last sept and I'm enjoying some athleticism now that I got serious.
Gear- I bought a new tripod. My STS Swaro broke (internal lens came loose) so that's shipped into for repair.
Clothing will just be a pile of modern layers. I'm bringing a Tuxy storm suit for camp. It's a gortex jump suit basically. I'm going with a Cabelas 8p pole shelter rented from the USCG Air Station in Kodiak. I'll have a Seek Outside Eolus for glassing and or spike camping. I'm going to try and score in close proximity of camp at first but if that fails to produce I have a few destination glassing hills or beaches I'm willing to march to and stay overnight (think sheep hunting gear). I'm bringing my Xtra Tuff insulated boots.
Food- Dehydrated Peak foods, Homemade Venison Jerky, Nut butters, and electrolyte tabs
Dates- Moved it up one week to April 23rd out of necessity and have a two weeks allocated.
Transport- Commercial airline tickets bought and private air charter booked
Hunting partner- The best ever is clear to launch. This is a big deal considering his profession and family obligations. This hunt will be a great culmination of a long hunting friendship. Truth is, I consider my partner to be the best asset. Together we get in and outa some of the craziest backcountry AK has to offer.

So, at this point most everything is lined up. Now I'll grind athletically for another few weeks and avoid injury. I've looked over many of the online outfitters and seen the photographed bears with corresponding scores. I talked with the Bio at length in Kodiak. I've talked with other users including the area guide. I've looked at aprox 500 distinct bears harvested. I've read the last of Great Brown Bear men outlining the P&T camps on Kodiak. I'm genuinely ready to put my boots on the ground and selectively harvest an old boar.

I did get to the gun range too. My .416 Ruger still goes boom and the hard lead thingy hits where I point it :)
I'll get to the range a few more times but don't consider my marksmanship to be a weak link.