Dream scope build

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
If you could build a scope suited best to your style of hunting and money was no object what specs would you build this scope to. Like I said this is a dream so it can be anything. I just thought this would be a fun thread.

4-14x40 or 40 - 44mm objective Boone & Crockett reticle

Pretty much describes the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3i with the B&C reticle.

Zeiss Conquest has one very similar. Excellent scopes also.

UPDATING AND ADDING ANOTHER

The 6x42mm Leupold is a fantastic scope in my opinion. Simple, rugged, just a perfect power for all the close and far hunting I have done. If you know your ballistics of your load you can order the reticle with small dots for distance. 200 yards is crosshairs and then 300, 400, and 500 yard dots come below the crosshair intersection. Instead of the dots though I would use a small hash like the B&C reticle has crossing the vertical crosshair at the appropriate location. I feel that the hash mark allows for a more precise aiming point.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
This, but in MILs. For usability/eyebox concerns I’d be fine with say 3.5-14 or 4-16.

Also, I’m finding more and more that some type of integrated throw lever and available nice flip up caps that don’t break really influence my optics decision once I get past dialing/reliability. Almost as much as optical quality.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Same idea 3-12 or 4-14 x 42.
Simple ballistic reticle.
Top tier glass.
Second focal plane and MOA please.
30MM tube is fine, I don’t need 1500 yards of elevation cranking.
Exposed elevation turret, capped windage, fixed 200 yard parallax.
For goodness sake let’s make the eyepiece smaller than the objective. I’ve got a Z6i that’s going to hit the classifieds - dang eyepiece is the limiting factor for how low I can mount it.
Personally I don’t need a multi-zero turret, throw lever, illuminated reticle or parallax adjustment for a hunting scope.
I’ll take the number up to 2K - but it’s gotta dial year in and year out AND come in sub 1lb.

USMC-40

WKR
2-12 with a FFP mil reticle (Christmas tree style). No dialing, just holding and about 13 ounces (I know, but I’m dreaming)

2-24x scope with 56mm bell and under 30 oz.

I want a dual Focal Plane reticle that is FFP from 8x-24x and switches to a simple duplex crosshair from 7.9x down to 2x for fast target acquisition. Reticle options would be available in both MOA and MIL. Sounds crazy but it would be bad ass and likely possible if the Duplex was essentially a digital overlay.

It needs a locking or capped windage turret and a locking elevation turret with zero stop. High speed turrets should be mandatory and I like the Steiner idea where during the second+ revolution different numbers are displayed on the turret to let you know exactly where you're at. Total travel should be 100 MOA or greater.

OP
T

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
2-24x scope with 56mm bell and under 30 oz.

I want a dual Focal Plane reticle that is FFP from 8x-24x and switches to a simple duplex crosshair from 7.9x down to 2x for fast target acquisition. Reticle options would be available in both MOA and MIL. Sounds crazy but it would be bad ass and likely possible if the Duplex was essentially a digital overlay.

It needs a locking or capped windage turret and a locking elevation turret with zero stop. High speed turrets should be mandatory and I like the Steiner idea where during the second+ revolution different numbers are displayed on the turret to let you know exactly where you're at. Total travel should be 100 MOA or greater.
That sounds really cool but lord man how far are you shooting