Dream Sheep Gun

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the same Winchester Model 70 push feed 270 for well over 30 years and I see no reason to switch now. Is it the lightest rifle out there, not even close but I'm comfortable with it and it shoots better than I could ever hope too. 47 days and counting before it's back in the sheep mountains.

Snyd

WKR
I've been using the same Winchester Model 70 push feed 270 for well over 30 years and I see no reason to switch now. Is it the lightest rifle out there, not even close but I'm comfortable with it and it shoots better than I could ever hope too. 47 days and counting before it's back in the sheep mountains.
No No No No.... Dont you know that gun won't work anymore?!? You need to trade some dollars for ounces and get lighter, faster, flatter shooter uber-mag or non-mag with a helium filled camo stock and a 10-45x60 scope so you can kill a ram at 850+ yds!! Don't forget the bipod or tripod hangin off the stock either. Gotta have it.

No No No No.... Dont you know that gun won't work anymore?!? You need to trade some dollars for ounces and get lighter, faster, flatter shooter uber-mag or non-mag with a helium filled camo stock and a 10-45x60 scope so you can kill a ram at 850+ yds!! Don't forget the bipod or tripod hangin off the stock either. Gotta have it.
4EA34F53-2077-4227-BD07-5E861DC56998.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a buddy who for lack of better words is rich, hes a surgeon who is 45 and single....so he gets to keep all his money. He goes all over the world on hunts that I will never get to do. Argali, Tur, snow sheep...all that stuff, New Zealand, Azerbaijan you name it, hes done it or doing it.

He can have any rifle he wants but he uses a Winchester stainless classic 300 win mag with a BOSS from like 1995. I believe it is the only center fire rifle he owns. It isn't light or new but he has confidence in it so thats what he takes.

Snyd

WKR
I have a buddy who for lack of better words is rich, hes a surgeon who is 45 and single....so he gets to keep all his money. He goes all over the world on hunts that I will never get to do. Argali, Tur, snow sheep...all that stuff, New Zealand, Azerbaijan you name it, hes done it or doing it.

He can have any rifle he wants but he uses a Winchester stainless classic 300 win mag with a BOSS from like 1995. I believe it is the only center fire rifle he owns. It isn't light or new but he has confidence in it so thats what he takes.
Ya, like my ol buddies Dad used to say.... "beware of the Man with one gun"

tdot

WKR
I'm pretty sure the thread title is "Dream Sheep Gun"

Who cares what an individuals dream sheep gun is. Some folks dream in colour, some in black and white. Not sure why some people seem so offended by other peoples dreams, wants or desires.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Who cares what an individuals dream sheep gun is. Some folks dream in colour, some in black and white. Not sure why some people seem so offended by other peoples dreams, wants or desires.
who is offended???

Decker9

WKR

I couldn’t help but laugh myself, it’s a given though in a thread like this

Like sheep hunting, if your in it for the food, your doing it for the wrong reasons. Same goes with building a multi thousand dollar rifle for sheep. If your building it for only a sheep rifle, your building it for the wrong reason.

Like sheep hunting, the fact of being out there is what we crave, same goes with our expensive rifles, it’s what we crave, not what we need. My cheap savage will shoot most days with any custom, but that’s not the point.

Hell, some of us even pack custom walnut iron sighted rifles, why? I think I answered why.
7A141590-0F15-496D-B8D3-4693E7DAF248.jpeg

Speaking of dream sheep rifles, I’ll be breaking my newest in today.
A06E686B-6AEA-4BC0-B312-43ACB0888EFF.jpeg

Like sheep hunting, if your in it for the food, your doing it for the wrong reasons. Same goes with building a multi thousand dollar rifle for sheep. If your building it for only a sheep rifle, your building it for the wrong reason.

Like sheep hunting, the fact of being out there is what we crave, same goes with our expensive rifles, it’s what we crave, not what we need. My cheap savage will shoot most days with any custom, but that’s not the point.

Hell, some of us even pack custom walnut iron sighted rifles, why? I think I answered why.
View attachment 306792

View attachment 306793
Very nice. What did you decide to top it with?

Hope you can find some PRC ammo in BC. It’s pretty dry in Alberta right now.

Decker9

WKR
Very nice. What did you decide to top it with?

Hope you can find some PRC ammo in BC. It’s pretty dry in Alberta right now.

Im a bit torn on a scope. I have a 3-15 vx5hd that I’ll use for now, but may look for something a bit smaller in the future here.

Iv managed to get a pile of ADG and nosler brass, and scored 5lb of H1000 from our local shop the other day. I’ll load up some 140 accubonds and see how they do :)

tdot

WKR

View attachment 306792

View attachment 306793
That's awesome. Stoked that the build arrived in time for you. Who ended up building it? As I recall you had some sort of issue with the stock. Was that all sorted out ok?

Love to see the walnut stock and iron sights in the mountains. Beauty rifle!

Im a bit torn on a scope. I have a 3-15 vx5hd that I’ll use for now, but may look for something a bit smaller in the future here.

Iv managed to get a pile of ADG and nosler brass, and scored 5lb of H1000 from our local shop the other day. I’ll load up some 140 accubonds and see how they do :)
It’s screaming Z5 to me. Maybe the burnt bronze version from Coralanes.

Snyd

WKR
View attachment 306792
Nice

Reminds me of these guys.

emweiler1.jpg

If I had a dream sheep rifle it would start to glow and and point me to a legal ram! It will then have a tracking bullet and always hit the perfect spot on said legal ram 😆

Decker9

WKR
That's awesome. Stoked that the build arrived in time for you. Who ended up building it? As I recall you had some sort of issue with the stock. Was that all sorted out ok?

Love to see the walnut stock and iron sights in the mountains. Beauty rifle!

Yeah the first stock had to big of barrel inlet, we had to order a straight 5/8” channel then have the smith mill it out for the #1 benchmark. They replaced it but took an additional 12 weeks.

Andy from Dragon mountain did the work, fantastic guy and did a great job. Even put in a couple late nights just to get it to me in time to get it ready for August.

D0BA7A13-9755-4BA1-9711-63F0FB0D40AB.jpeg

tdot

WKR
Yeah the first stock had to big of barrel inlet, we had to order a straight 5/8” channel then have the smith mill it out for the #1 benchmark. They replaced it but took an additional 12 weeks.

Andy from Dragon mountain did the work, fantastic guy and did a great job. Even put in a couple late nights just to get it to me in time to get it ready for August.

View attachment 307045
That's awesome, nice rifle.

Andy does great work. He built my last rifle. But the man can talk, I stopped in to pick up a 2nd barrel enroute home from a Bear hunt in Region 6. Spent hours there, it was all good fun though, just added an extra sleep on the drive home.

DuckDogDr

WKR
My "dream" sheep rifle..coming from someone who never has been on a sheep hunt and only a forum junkie. I've set a goal to commit to an outfitter next spring.

I'm wanting to go ultralight as my go to 10-11 lb gun kicked my butt on my last elk hunt..being a flat lander ..in steep steep mountains was not pleasant.
Also on that same elk hunt ..learned vicariously common calibers are more practical than cool hot rot customs.

I just purchased a Christensen Ridgeline Titanium in 300 win mag . Will be topped with a leupold Vx6 4-24x52
Scope and 300 should both be here Wednesday .
Unfortunately no range time due to work schedule until October

AKarchery

FNG

If you could pick one rifle to carry on all of your Alaskan outings what would it be?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you could pick one rifle to carry on all of your Alaskan outings what would it be?

At the moment it would be a toss up between my Remington 700xcr2 375HH and my Kimber mountain ascent 300win mag. For bears and moose and float hunts that 375 is great. For mountain hunts I sure do like that Kimber 300mag.

I guess if I was really pressed, I’d choose the 300 as it will handle moose and bears just fine.