Dream Sheep Gun

Lorne

FNG
Oh yeah joe loves the 280ai

our love goes way back. We both hunted in SC grew up reading about the Jarrett beanfield rifles.
On the way back from our first rifle match we even swung by his shop. We go way back with the 280 ai. It was the first prs or match type rifle he bought if I remember correctly

round works and shoots great. Another hunter killed a monster 40 inch ram with Jonah 2 years ago. Guide said that ram died as quick as any ram I’ve seen

Another exodus 280 ai in sheep country

What a ram, can't beat a 280 AI

Suga

FNG
I’d had (sheep days are over for me & couldn't see a great tool collecting dust) a Borden Lightweight Rifle in 7 WSM. Was a great handling & shooting rifle. Topped it with a Swaro Z5. Hated to see it go...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
probably not a "dream" rifle, but the one I'm going to be putting together for a upcoming "dream" hunt :D

Kimber Montana in .300 WSM, shorten barrel to 22.5" and add a APA micro brake. Replace bolt w/ a ti one.

top it with Talley Lightweights and a Leupold VX-3 HD 3.5x10 CDS

probably not a "dream" rifle, but the one I'm going to be putting together for a upcoming "dream" hunt :D

Kimber Montana in .300 WSM, shorten barrel to 22.5" and add a APA micro brake. Replace bolt w/ a ti one.

top it with Talley Lightweights and a Leupold VX-3 HD 3.5x10 CDS

Replace the trigger guard with an aluminum one and shave another couple oz’s off for only $50, and this is about what it will come in at.
1e9a11a667cced2999db4edd611d8295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Nice! :) What scope do you have on it?

I thought I saw a thread that the newer Montana's were coming with the aluminum trigger guard, if not- definitely :)

ZH1

FNG
Not the lightest option but I'd be very comfortable with my 270 tikka superlite, dressed out with an Altitude Stock.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I had mine built earlier this year, not a dedicated sheep gun per se, however a mountain rifle I could shoot long range.

Specs;

Lone Peak Razor Ti action (short)
Proof Sendero Lite 24" bbl
PVA Jetblast Lite
Hawkins hunter DBM and Hawkins 3 round magazine
AG Chalk Branch
Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage trigger (set just over half a pound)
Hawkins Ultralight rings
NX8 4x32 SFP MOA scope

Chambered in 6.5 Sherman Short

Flush cups on stock, pic rail and ARCA plate.

I typically carry a modular evolution bipod, however the ability to mount it directly to my tripod was well worth the two ounces of the plate. Often times here in southern AZ you cant get prone because of the brush and with the plate I can take 500 yard shots seated easily.

will push the 156 Berger comfortably at 3k FPS.

It comes in at just about 2 ounces over 8 pounds without ammo or bipod, the weight is in the right place with the fairly heavy scope. Still doing load development and breaking in barrel/forming brass but have lots of confidence as a few of my forming loads are already between 1/3 and 1/2 MOA.

I had Luke at Arrowhead rifles build it, after he built me a muzzleloader I have used or had clients use to kill almost 20 big game animals the last 3 seasons including deer over 600 yards with BH209 and a 375" elk at 486 yards. He builds some phenomenal rifles.

Antares

WKR
EDIT: All finished, pic added

More for goats than sheep, but I'm currently putting together:

Tikka .308 Win
Proof CF Sendero 20"
McMillan Game Hunter (EDGE fill)
MT bottom metal
MT bolt handle and Outdoorsman XL knob
Cerakoting and bolt fluting by Kampfeld Custom

I plan on running it with my GEMTECH Tracker can.

I have a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm that I planned to put on it, but I might put my VX5-HD 3-15x44mm on it.

IMG_3794.jpeg

Last edited:

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m right in the beginning stages of building a 6.5x284. Well, my good friend Jamie at Manhole customs is building it for me.

REM 700 action
Proof carbon fiber barrel. 25”
Mesa precision carbon fiber stock
Bolt fluting
Tac bolt knob
Leupold VX6 3-18x44
Warne mountain tech bases and rings
Cerekote action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trued Rem. 700, fluted bolt, slabed action
Proof Sendero 25”
Triggertec Special
Buckshot Bauer composite stock
Talley rings
Leupold VX6HD 2x12
7mm Wby short throat
The extra horsepower......just in case you need it !

JB33806

FNG
Not too fancy here. Kimber Montana, Lilja barrel modified 84m contour. Talley lightweights with a 3x9 Zeiss. 308 win. It's my current set up but still a virgin. Need to fix that.

tak

WKR
I had mine built earlier this year, not a dedicated sheep gun per se, however a mountain rifle I could shoot long range.

Flush cups on stock, pic rail and ARCA plate.

l.

Sounds like a nice rifle!

Have pics of the rail and arca plate? Your flush cups on the bottom or side?

Wanting to do something similar with a game warden stock.

Decker9

WKR