Dream Sheep Gun

TowerT

FNG
I would really prefer a Tikka action duped to mirror an Alterra Mountain Shadow but any capable gun would be fine if I was fortunate enough to be in sheep country with a tag.

madcalfe

WKR
Just to answer some questions about paradigm barrels. I have one in 7SS cut to 20". All work to it was done by PVA. It is a very nice barrel, I have a few proofs and this barrel is just as accurate as they are. I just couldn't find a 20" 7mm proof blank, and the paradigm's can be cut to any length just like a steel barrel so I decided to try one. I have no reservations at all about it. As for 7SS performance out of a 20" barrel, I am shooting Berger 175 elite hunters at 2850 fps.
yea I've been eyeing up the 7sherman short for awhile now also.
but that's good to know! defiantly might have to grab a barrel from them. I know I'm loving their new stock

jda2631

FNG
yea I've been eyeing up the 7sherman short for awhile now also.
but that's good to know! defiantly might have to grab a barrel from them. I know I'm loving their new stock

The SS cartridge in whatever bullet diameter you want is the best short action magnum available IMO. Plus he has head stamped ADG brass for them now, making it even better. I'm a huge Sherman fan, a long action will be next, maybe a 30 SM.

JustinD

FNG
When I finally get the funds I want to build a 6.5 PRC with;

Defiance anti-X action
Proof Sendaro 22’ barrel
XLR industries Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis
Trigger Tech Special
Nightforce NX-8 2.5-20 MOAR F2

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber 84M in a Montana stock in the vaunted 7mm-08 caliber, topped with a Leupold. Actually, my wife owns one of these but without the Montana stock, it's one of the lightest rifles I've ever picked up.

oenanthe

WKR
Kimber 84M in a Montana stock in the vaunted 7mm-08 caliber, topped with a Leupold. Actually, my wife owns one of these but without the Montana stock, it's one of the lightest rifles I've ever picked up.
Sounds vaguely familiar ...

p1020428sm-jpg.103712

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Hard to beat that. You could spend a lot more on a fancier rifle and not end up with a better sheep gun than a Kimber with a light scope.

I won’t know for another month if it’s my “dream sheep gun” but I’m thrilled at going into my 1st ever sheep hunt with a Kimber Montana 270win. It’s light enough and shoots like a dream.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I won’t know for another month if it’s my “dream sheep gun” but I’m thrilled at going into my 1st ever sheep hunt with a Kimber Montana 270win. It’s light enough and shoots like a dream.
Congratulations. That’s a perfect sheep rifle. Where are you going? Alaska or a Bighorn tag?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Good choice. I never really understood why people build these crazy expensive, fancy high tech rifles to take a 300yd shot at a sheep. To me, a sheep (or any mountain rifle) is a light, compact walking rifle. Most guys I know here in AK just have a tikka or a Kimber and they call it good.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
agreed, or a deer/elk/caribou gun for that matter :D

I should have just said mountain rifle rather than sheep rifle. I agree 100% though. Get a Kimber, work up a good load for it and forget about it. I’ve used a 308 Montana for the past 4 years, it just has a 2.5-8x36 leupold in it. I practice with it out to 500yds and have found a great load with the 152g hammer hunters. Recently I decided I wanted to get another Kimber so I got a mountain ascent in 300wm, I’ve so far settled on 2 loads that easily shoot groups under an inch. One is with the 200g accubond, the other is the 166g hammer hunter. My Montana weighs 5lb13oz, the 300wm is 7lb6oz.

Antares

WKR
I should have just said mountain rifle rather than sheep rifle. I agree 100% though. Get a Kimber, work up a good load for it and forget about it. I’ve used a 308 Montana for the past 4 years, it just has a 2.5-8x36 leupold in it. I practice with it out to 500yds and have found a great load with the 152g hammer hunters. Recently I decided I wanted to get another Kimber so I got a mountain ascent in 300wm, I’ve so far settled on 2 loads that easily shoot groups under an inch. One is with the 200g accubond, the other is the 166g hammer hunter. My Montana weighs 5lb13oz, the 300wm is 7lb6oz.

Not to get off topic here, but how do you get your Kimber out to 500 yards? I have the exact same setup (Montana in .308 w/ Leupold 2.5-8x36) and I'm really only comfortable to 300-350 yards. I use the fat part of the reticle at 300 yards and then I have to holdover after that. I'm zeroed at 200 yards. Maybe you have a different reticle than me, mines just the duplex. This is the card I have taped to my stock.

1625875193279.png

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not to get off topic here, but how do you get your Kimber out to 500 yards? I have the exact same setup (Montana in .308 w/ Leupold 2.5-8x36) and I'm really only comfortable to 300-350 yards. I use the fat part of the reticle at 300 yards and then I have to holdover after that. I'm zeroed at 200 yards. Maybe you have a different reticle than me, mines just the duplex. This is the card I have taped to my stock.

View attachment 305561

I have the B&C reticle on that Kimber and the top of the bottom post has been solid at 500 with a 150g ttsx, I’ve switched bullets very recently so I need to go back to the drawing board. I’m not shooting bullseyes at 500, just 10x10 steel plates.

Antares

WKR
I have the B&C reticle on that Kimber and the top of the bottom post has been solid at 500 with a 150g ttsx, I’ve switched bullets very recently so I need to go back to the drawing board. I’m not shooting bullseyes at 500, just 10x10 steel plates.

What'd you switch to? I just switch over to the 150 TTSX.