Dream Sheep Gun

I'm having Plains Precision build mine for me right now. Its a stainless Remington Model 7 300wizzum, Timney Calvin Elite, Badger DBM, Curtis billet magazines, 22" Proof Sendero Light, Manners EH8+, Talley rings, Vortex LHT, Griffin Sportsman suppressor. Should be good.

My only sheep so far is a W. Tx Aoudad that I harvested with a nearly 10lb .257wby

Right now at the gunsmith (Alamo Precision)
7SAUM
Defiance anTi (Lefty)
TT Special Flat
Hawkins Hybrids
Bartlein CFW #4 @ 24" (strongly considering jumping to a 20 or 22" proof)
Proof Lightweight Hunter Stock
VX6HD 3-18x50

This is what I do. The z6 are mil, the Z3 and z5 moa. But yes, with the colored rings you can just count.
So you have to buy the mil rings from Swaro after you buy scope? I assume the adjustments are MOA for clicks so do you have to send scope in to get changed over?

idig4au

WKR
So you have to buy the mil rings from Swaro after you buy scope? I assume the adjustments are MOA for clicks so do you have to send scope in to get changed over?
No, you don’t have to send scope to them. if getting a BDC turret, you just send them your ballistic data along with the scope model and they create the ring and ship to you. They also have stock mil/MOA rings available depending on scope model.

I just have them etch every “click” and demarcate/label every 5th click sequentially on my Z6 scopes. This with a dope chart on side of my gun for the area I’m hunting works just fine for dialing. If it’s 18 clicks based on the range, then I just dial 18 and shoot.

Kotaman

WKR
No...Like I said above, the Z3 and Z5 scopes are MOA scopes. The Z6 is a Mil scope. Idig4au has it right in the post above.

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a couple pics of my most recent Boswell Ti-SLR:

6.5 PRC 23” tube

Comes in under 7 lbs ready to hunt, shooting 127 gr. Barnes LRX at 3100 FPS.
I've been drooling over his rifles for years! Awesome rifle!!!

SDHNTR

WKR
No, you don’t have to send scope to them. if getting a BDC turret, you just send them your ballistic data along with the scope model and they create the ring and ship to you. They also have stock mil/MOA rings available depending on scope model.

I just have them etch every “click” and demarcate/label every 5th click sequentially on my Z6 scopes. This with a dope chart on side of my gun for the area I’m hunting works just fine for dialing. If it’s 18 clicks based on the range, then I just dial 18 and shoot.
You had any RTZ or tracking issues with your Z6? My two have been rock solid and it shocks me these scopes don’t get more press.

idig4au

WKR
You had any RTZ or tracking issues with your Z6? My two have been rock solid and it shocks me these scopes don’t get more press.
No issues whatsoever with my Z6 or Z8 scopes in terms of mechanical performance. I've never had issues with zero or tracking when I’m dialing for range. I‘ve traveled extensively with mine and even the airlines haven’t knocked the zero off. I think they are a great option for a mid weight scope on the low 20 oz range with outstanding glass.

Options:

Kimber Adrondack with some lightweight goodies (ti handle/mpi stock) with a Z3 3-10x42 BRH @ 5.44lbs.
This stock might get swapped to a wildcat to straighten up the lines and square it up.

or

Kimber Montana 84L with a #1 Contour Benchmark 6.5RPM finished off at 22".
Topped with a Z5 3-18x44 finished off at a hair over 6.5lbs.

SDHNTR

WKR
No issues whatsoever with my Z6 or Z8 scopes in terms of mechanical performance. I've never had issues with zero or tracking when I’m dialing for range. I‘ve traveled extensively with mine and even the airlines haven’t knocked the zero off. I think they are a great option for a mid weight scope on the low 20 oz range with outstanding glass.
Thanks, my sentiments and experience exactly!

Snyd

WKR
I've taken a few with the Kimber 325 w/Leupold 2.5-8x36. Great rifle. But my dream is to take one with this dream gun of mine that I got a couple years ago. Freedom Arms 454 Casull 4x leupold.

IMG-0601-1.jpg

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Second that....I love mine. Used it for deer and elk. Now if Canada would open up so I can actually use it on my two sheep hunts that would be even better!

Proof Glacier Ti with 22" barrel in a SA Magnum Topped with NF NXS 2.5-10

or build it yourself with anTi action, proof stock and proof barrel.

Attachments

• BA4CEA44-C2FC-4DC6-8B9D-16D17E92EA2C.jpeg
    BA4CEA44-C2FC-4DC6-8B9D-16D17E92EA2C.jpeg
    714.9 KB · Views: 117
  • E2AB9A1E-FE97-46A6-9985-A3A2C8E09081.jpeg
    E2AB9A1E-FE97-46A6-9985-A3A2C8E09081.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 115
Going through this list I am seeing the 6.5 PRC show up a lot more than I expected. I already have a 300 Win Mag but am debating how much work/ money I want to spend to get it into mountain shape. So is the 6.5 PRC a solid choice to build a lightweight rig off of? It seems to be getting a lot of traction.

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to clarify and simplify the Swaro Z6 discussion. I do not consider it a "mil" scope vs a "moa" scope. There are no numbers on the ballistic Turret. The scope says "0.36" at 100 yards" on it. So yes, each click is a MIL vs 1/4 MOA, but really does not matter since the turret just has some colors on it. I bought "https://znikiz.com/" znikiz rings. 5 rings you can put on any way you want. You can put them at 250, 350 etc yards or meters. I change the rings for different loads and do not have to keep purchasing new custom turrets. I can change the ranges at different altitudes for the same load! I just use the Swaro phone ballistic app, and it tells me how many clicks to set the rings for yards or meters. The Z5/Z6 with the znikiz rings is one of the most perfect solutions I have found.

Decker9

WKR
Going through this list I am seeing the 6.5 PRC show up a lot more than I expected. I already have a 300 Win Mag but am debating how much work/ money I want to spend to get it into mountain shape. So is the 6.5 PRC a solid choice to build a lightweight rig off of? It seems to be getting a lot of traction.

I was once in the same boat, I used a .300wm in a t3 for my mountain rifle. My personal preference, was the .300 was to long for my liking, and was just a matter of time before I split my eyebrow open due to steep angle shots and heavy recoil. I switched out to a light weight 6.5x55 in a t3, and have been loving it. It does limit me though, FPS vs bullet performance at longer distances. For that reason I’m stepping up a little to the PRC.

The .300 is a excellent mountain cartridge, if a guy has no issue holding into it. For my best shooting, I find the less “hold” I have of my rifle, the more consistent I shoot. My old .300, I had to get a good grip on to hold it down, which in turn declined my accuracy.

Just what led me to the PRC.

I was once in the same boat, I used a .300wm in a t3 for my mountain rifle. My personal preference, was the .300 was to long for my liking, and was just a matter of time before I split my eyebrow open due to steep angle shots and heavy recoil. I switched out to a light weight 6.5x55 in a t3, and have been loving it. It does limit me though, FPS vs bullet performance at longer distances. For that reason I’m stepping up a little to the PRC.

The .300 is a excellent mountain cartridge, if a guy has no issue holding into it. For my best shooting, I find the less “hold” I have of my rifle, the more consistent I shoot. My old .300, I had to get a good grip on to hold it down, which in turn declined my accuracy.

Just what led me to the PRC.

This is going to sound a little backwards - but my 300WM is almost the only rifle I have shot on the regular for the last 13 years since I got out of the Marine Corps. I am just now starting to "work my way smaller" with a 6.5 Grendel AR setup (besides a 300 Blackout SBR). But I have been really focusing on getting back to hunting so I am here doing my research.

SDHNTR

WKR
Absolutely yes, but it’s also not anything magic. There are a multitude of other cartridges that will do the job just as well.