Dream Sheep Gun

madcalfe

WKR
I’m currently building mine! I was gonna do a custom on a Christensen ridgeline action but decided to say the hell with it 😂

Defiance anti short action
Proof 20” sendaro
Wildcat ultralight stock
Pva ultralight jet blast muzzle brake
Triggertech special trigger
Chambered in .300wsm

hoping to be around 5.5lbs when finished

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m currently building mine! I was gonna do a custom on a Christensen ridgeline action but decided to say the hell with it 😂

Defiance anti short action
Proof 20” sendaro
Wildcat ultralight stock
Pva ultralight jet blast muzzle brake
Triggertech special trigger
Chambered in .300wsm

hoping to be around 5.5lbs when finished
I’d strongly consider the XM length! I have both and the XM feeds much smoother. I have a Wyatts extended mag on my short action .300 wsm and in order to get it to feed reliably I had to swap out the staggered box to a centerfeed box. Doing so cost me one round (2 down) and I have to load from the floor plate. No such issues with the XM.

jfs82

WKR
I'd build... but at a good chunk less moneywise, I'm using a seekins havak element in 6.5 prc. 21 inch, 5lb 5oz

madcalfe

WKR
I’d strongly consider the XM length! I have both and the XM feeds much smoother. I have a Wyatts extended mag on my short action .300 wsm and in order to get it to feed reliably I had to swap out the staggered box to a centerfeed box. Doing so cost me one round (2 down) and I have to load from the floor plate. No such issues with the XM.
I already have the SA are you talking about the 3.100” (baney) coal kit from Wyatts?

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s a standard length Wyatt’s extended mag box but center feed. CFE prefix.

But like I mentioned above a better selection used to ditch the short action all together and go with an intermediate, like the defiance XM.

madcalfe

WKR
hmm. well i think im passed that option now cause the stock is being made for a short action. but then again im not planning on shooting anything bigger than 180's so i dont think i really need to go to a extended mag box. if i were wanting 190-210gr then i would benefit from it. this is my 3rd .300wsm now

6 creedmoor if griz aren't also on the menu. 7 SAUM if they are.
Lone Peak fuzion Ti (short action for 6 creed, xm for SAUM)
Hawkins BDL
Benchmark/AG Ibex stock
Proof sendero lite or benchmark #4 - 22"
Bix n Andy tac sport trigger
NF NXS 2.5-10x42

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Just putting mine together this weekend.
Kimber Montana 84L 270 win
Talley Rings
Leupold FX3 6x42 w/ LR duplex.
46F53258-7F24-4E6B-BFC7-B88EBB5DE3A1.jpeg
6.2lbs on my scale. I’m a keep it simple kinda guy.

tdot

WKR
hmm. well i think im passed that option now cause the stock is being made for a short action. but then again im not planning on shooting anything bigger than 180's so i dont think i really need to go to a extended mag box. if i were wanting 190-210gr then i would benefit from it. this is my 3rd .300wsm now
Just in case you change your mind. The Wildcat SA stock can be opened up to fit the XM action.

It’s easy to overthink it and IMO one of the least important pieces of gear for a sheep hunt. Any hunting rifle will work and a tikka would make a nice basic sheep rifle for anybody who felt they wanted to upgrade. I’ve always just used a basic kimber 308 with a leupold 2.5-8 and it’s worked well.
Yes. My hunting partner has killed a North America grand slam, a Marco Polo, and over 20 Dall rams with his 300 H & H and 180gr partitions. I have another friend who has killed over a dozen Dall rams with his .338
Both shoot one rifle for everything and keep is simple.

madcalfe

WKR
a
Just in case you change your mind. The Wildcat SA stock can be opened up to fit the XM action.
have you’ve done it? Like do the action screws still line up? Will the bolt still be on the same position? I’m going to talk to who’s building my gun tomorrow they sell defiance actions and use wildcats on a lot of builds.

tdot

WKR
a

have you’ve done it? Like do the action screws still line up? Will the bolt still be on the same position? I’m going to talk to who’s building my gun tomorrow they sell defiance actions and use wildcats on a lot of builds.
No, I haven't done it yet. I've spoken to two local gun builders who both said it was possible.

They both requested that I order the Wildcat as a flat stock and they would inlet it for me. If yours has already been inlet for the SA, then I'm pretty sure it could still be done. They may have to remove the forward pillar, partially fill where the old pillar was and then inlet for the XM and reinstall forward pillar. But I'd definitely want them to agree to the work first. It should be unnoticeable from the outside.

tak

WKR
Alaskan Hunt by benjie bates, on Flickr

Still thrilled with with build
280 Ackley from Exodus Rifles

If I could go way back I would have built on a ti 700 but love this rifle

will be looking for Sheep 2 in August

awesome! Congrats on that beast of a ram!
I’ve been wanting to give Joe a call. I’m pretty set on a 280AI (not necessarily looking for ultralight sheep rifle) and it sounds like he’s a fan.

bates

WKR
Oh yeah joe loves the 280ai

our love goes way back. We both hunted in SC grew up reading about the Jarrett beanfield rifles.
On the way back from our first rifle match we even swung by his shop. We go way back with the 280 ai. It was the first prs or match type rifle he bought if I remember correctly

round works and shoots great. Another hunter killed a monster 40 inch ram with Jonah 2 years ago. Guide said that ram died as quick as any ram I’ve seen

Another exodus 280 ai in sheep country

Attachments

• E1389160-29DF-429C-9E33-FCE3FBA75C13.jpeg
    E1389160-29DF-429C-9E33-FCE3FBA75C13.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 8900CBC4-04DF-41E3-9EE6-91743AC45999.jpeg
    8900CBC4-04DF-41E3-9EE6-91743AC45999.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

tak

WKR
Oh yeah joe loves the 280ai

our love goes way back. We both hunted in SC grew up reading about the Jarrett beanfield rifles.
On the way back from our first rifle match we even swung by his shop. We go way back with the 280 ai. It was the first prs or match type rifle he bought if I remember correctly

round works and shoots great. Another hunter killed a monster 40 inch ram with Jonah 2 years ago. Guide said that ram died as quick as any ram I’ve seen

Another exodus 280 ai in sheep country

that is a beautiful ram!!

I’m just dabbling in PRS, which is how I heard about Joe, but I’ve never met him. I’ve always been a hunter and always liked the 280, so it’s great to hear precision guys like it. I’m in Fort Worth, and I have two Alamo rifles, but I’m going to give Joe a call this week.

what are some more specs on your rifle??

jwatts

WKR
I built mine prior to my 2019 sheep hunt. It started life as a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280. I rebarreled it with a 24in Pac-Nor magnum profile chambered in 280AI. It's in a Bell and Carlson Alaskan Mountain Rifle stock, with Talley lightweight rings, and a Leupold VX3i. The factory trigger was worked over as soon as it was bought new in 1995 and is one of the best I've ever felt. At around 8lb it may be a bit heavier than most people think a sheep gun should be, but it was a gun that I had been hunting with for almost 25 years and had more confidence behind than anything else I have shot since. I have killed something with it every year that I have owned it, and I saw it fitting that it get to go along on this hunt.