dressed bears

so for you guys thatve dressed alot of bears, what can you expect for a ratio of weight? it seems a pretty respected theory deer and elk go about 1/3 live weight but when you add in a hide and so on what should a guy expect to be hauling off the mountain if he were to shoot a 250lb bear

JNDEER

WKR
I have not taken lots of bears. This one in the pick I killed in 2011. I was 205# and my uncle at the time was 230#. We could not move him to save our lives. If I had to guess he was 300+ and when I packed out the meat it was probably in the 125-175# range (bone in).

I have seen the pics of those who are bear killers and I am sure they will chime in, but of the few I have taken and seen taken I would think it is probably around that 1/3-1/2 weight of bear.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 73

littlebuf

Banned
hide/head on a bear that size could weigh upwards of 80 pounds. then you've got bone and guts. where your hunting this spring there's no real need to debone. you shoot a 250 bear this spring after you gut it your packing out a good 200 pounds, maybe a little less. I assume your taking the hide.

Craig4791

WKR
Id say half the weight for a boned out bear if your keeping the hide and skull. It could even go a little over half, the hide and skull weigh a lot!

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
The hide with head and paws left in place can go about 85 pounds on a really big black bear. The hide from a 250 pounder should weigh quite a bit less than that as long as you don't leave a lot of fat on the hide. Boned out the meat is actually not too heavy. In a fat fall bear you can cut off really thick slabs of fat and the quarters end up being like 1/3 of their initial size. I don't have any experience with spring bears because we can't hunt them here in NM.