Drew 1st rifle in unit 49 NM

mixed bag

FNG
I've been trying a few years to draw New Mexico and this was my year.I've never been to New Mexico before,but did alot of research before applying.I drew unit 49 for the earliest rifle hunt,and I assume the bulls should be pretty vocal.There is alot of public in the unit,and wanted to hear from anyone that's hunted the unit before.I hear atv traffic can be an issue.Like to hear about anyone's experience there.If I should look for elk high,mid level or low.There's some high country roadless areas I've noted on the maps I have.If anyone could point me to a starting area that would be a big help.I would return the favor.I've hunted Colorado units 55 and 49,Montana Crazy mts,Wyoming units 13 and 98 for elk.Along with some good mule deer and antelope hunts
Curious about the hunting pressure and what size bull would be a good representative of the unit.Or do you take any bull you see there?
Thanks for any help.I'm super excited to finally hunt NM

swampokie

WKR
Congrats! Can’t help u on the unit but I considered putting in for it and I think it should be a decent hunt if a 4 wheeler doesn’t run u over! Good luck.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 49 a few times. Yes the atv traffic will be heavy but if you get off the roads you can find elk. Send me a pm and I'll get you some info.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jmward24

FNG
I've hunted 49 a few times. Yes the atv traffic will be heavy but if you get off the roads you can find elk. Send me a pm and I'll get you some info.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I’m hunting this unit this year. Any I for would be helpful thanks!

dtrkyman

WKR
Definitely lots of road access, sxs traffic will be heavy! Good news is lots of elk as well.

I am committing the sin of reviving old threads.

To the op, curious how the hunt went?

Secondly, anybody that’s hunted there care to comment on what the bear density was? I drew a 4th choice coues hunt this year and that’s it. I’m going to spend a few weekends looking for bears in areas I’ve never been to before.