Drew a 2B new Mexico deer tag.......

Does anyone have any experience in this unit? I drew a 2nd season rifle tag. Not sure if I'm 100% set on doing it DIY yet with it being such a short season. If there's anyone that would give up a little info, or pass along my best option for an outfitter, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

blb078

WKR
I drew the 2nd rifle 2B tag too. Already got my days off approved, will be there a day in a half early to scout around before the season opens. Here's what I've gathered so far. For a really big one a lot depends on weather to push them out of the mountains in CO, 3rd season is obviously better for that. Lots of oil roads can be blocked but you can hike in, a lot of road hunters on the main roads. Bring chains incase it rains cause apparently the roads can get pretty bad. Other than that the resident deer typically aren't as big as the migration deer but decent ones can be found. And optics are a big thing in this unit. It seems there really isn't a bad area in the unit but a lot of oil truckers going back/forth. That's about all I have so far, sorry can't help you w/an outfitter but I bet they charge a lot since it's considered one of the better units in the state.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're interested in going with an outfitter, call Jeff at the Huntin' Fool. He keeps a list of good outfitters and I believe you don't have to be a member to call him. Tell him Robby Denning sent you. Tell him he owes me a favor and to give it to you :) 435 865 1020

OP
Elkmasterwyo
Thanks guys, all great info! Thanks Robby, I appreciate that, and will probably give him a call to explore that option!!!

CW_12

FNG
I have hunted heavily oil field pressured areas and it actually seems to help a little. The deer are used to alot of activity and this can be used to your advantage. That should be a great hunt. Congrats on the tag!