Drew a Kansas Mule Deer Rifle tag!

Got lucky and my first year as a Kansas resident I drew a mule deer rifle tag. Leaning towards Unit 1 and already have done some online looking so have a few spots to check, but are there public areas I might overlook? I know about the WIHA’s and Norton Wildlife area but I’m still new to KS and interpreting their data isn’t the easiest sometimes. Any good places to camp/car camp out there? Thanks!

jmav58

WKR
Kansas is the 49th state in terms of public land for hunting. You might struggle to get areas suggested to you on here as those areas that are good, probably aren't going to be given up. Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know what you're in for you.

Trial153

WKR
Walk in areas are your only hope. Last I recall you couldny camp on them, though I could be wrong. You might be able to find a private / public campground. Buddy of mine hunted that tag as a resident recently . Door knocking and networking got him on land.

OP
KandiBarZZZZ
Sure, I get that. But the answers always no if you don’t ask. I’ll do my homework for sure. Would also be interested in sharing a lease possibly with someone out there if they’re looking for another split.

You will be fine! I’ve heard from buddies that locals are willing to let you hunt. I keep wanting to head out with the bow some year to hunt mule deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the WIHA atlas but also make sure you keep an eye on the changes that are listed on the website. It is very easy to use the atlas and stay on the properties because they place signs. The ones that are added after the atlas are printed can have less pressure. There is some good hunting to be found but get out of the truck and walk. I have killed both my biggest Whitetail and Mule deer in Unit 1 with muzzleloader when I hunted KS a few years back. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Where in kansas do you live. Wiha access is going to be your best bet unless you can get private. Im in the same boat

mcseal2

WKR
I'd probably call the county extension office and ask if they know anyone that allows trespass hunts. I'd try to talk to the game warden for the area also. It might not turn up anything but it can't hurt to ask. It might be a way to access land without using an outfitter. Lots of land in Kansas is leased now, especially the better stuff, if the owner or their family doesn't hunt it. If you find a spot like that take good care of the owner and you may have a spot for years to come.

Agilliam

FNG
I also drew a tag this year for west units and am having the same trouble. I tried to pm you but was unable to find how. I'de be down to combo up if you're interested!

FURMAN

WKR
You could call the extension office or the chamber of commerce. I have not had great luck with that. I would strongly suggest getting onx and start looking up land owners names and numbers and making calls.

Agilliam

FNG
I have onx and have all of that available to me but hate the idea of blindly calling land owners for permission. guess the worst they can say is no though