Drew A Kentucky Bull Tag!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

P.S. What a great first post! I had no clue KY had elk until just a few months ago. Good luck on your hunt.

If I had that tag I would put in for Prestonsburg Limited Entry Area and if I didn't draw that, you'd need to probably be even luckier than you were when you drew your tag, I'd hire a guide. Not because you need a guide to kill an elk, but the access is what you need. The public hunting is not as good as it was in the past.

Lowg08

WKR
Congrats. I was not fortunate enough to draw this year. Of course I’ve never been drawn for it. I’d go scout now watch for snakes.

Congrats on being added to the list of people I hate this year, you're in good company with those who drew Wyoming tags and New Mexico tags!!!

I wish you all the best of luck, but I hope you stub your pinky toe tomorrow!

(See I'm a kind person, I want you to have plenty of time to recover for you hunt of you happen to break it)

Oh and a Big Rokslide welcome!

OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
Thanks everyone for the info! Haha this is the first time I’ve drawn a tag like this and I’ve been applying in a pile of states for a ton of species for awhile now..

Anyone have a suggestion on a specific guide to contact? I’ll likely go that route. I’m going to be traveling from Alaska this fall for the hunt and probably wouldn’t have time to scout for more than a couple days pre-hunt.

The name I see a lot is Hurley Combs, Lost Mountain Outfitters. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones but I've read a lot about him.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have heard really good things about lost mountain outfitters as well. But I have absolutely no personal experience woth them. Planning on going on a guided WT hunt with an outfit that lost mountain had used in the past (per their reports).
Good
Luck
To
Ya
Sir!

Buddy of mine drew last year, went DIY around the Hazard area. Did alot of talking to locals out there and 90% of um didn't even know elk lived there. Saw one spike opening day, struggled to find sign or locate anything after that, and ended up hiring a guide on the second to last day of season. Couldn't seal the deal. They set up on a bull they saw the night before and some guys drove through on ATVs right before last light. Made it sound like private land is basically public and people do whatever the hell they want out there. Go with an outfitter 110%.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
After reading thru a lot of the hunter survey reports by FWKY and seeing a lot of dissatisfaction with the public land hunting opportunities, for me if the outfitters are under 5k I would probly spring for it. I don’t bother even applying for the cow tags.

Buddy of mine drew last year, went DIY around the Hazard area. Did alot of talking to locals out there and 90% of um didn't even know elk lived there. Saw one spike opening day, struggled to find sign or locate anything after that, and ended up hiring a guide on the second to last day of season. Couldn't seal the deal. They set up on a bull they saw the night before and some guys drove through on ATVs right before last light. Made it sound like private land is basically public and people do whatever the hell they want out there. Go with an outfitter 110%.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Welcome to eastern KY. :)

Jsmith410

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the info! Haha this is the first time I’ve drawn a tag like this and I’ve been applying in a pile of states for a ton of species for awhile now..

Anyone have a suggestion on a specific guide to contact? I’ll likely go that route. I’m going to be traveling from Alaska this fall for the hunt and probably wouldn’t have time to scout for more than a couple days pre-hunt.

I drew a firearm Bull week 1 last year. I went with Lost Mountain Outfitters (Hurley Combs) ans they didn’t disappoint. Due to covid restrictions we had to stay in a hotel and not the lodge. Everyone that hunted that week killed a bull. Most of which were very respectable.

I killed a 280” on the second day. From all that I have discovered the population is way down so I decided to optimize my chance and go with him. He has private access in several of the zones.

I didn’t hear one bugle. Luckily my guide new the area and where the elk had been feeding in the early mornings. The first day we got on them but did not get a shot before they moved into the thick cover. The second day we located them almost in the same position but was able to get 160 yard shot. The guides made it easy getting him out with side by side access.

Some others that have a good reputation or Beaver Creek outfitters and Bugles N Struts.

Feel free to message me and I can try to give you any information that I know. Good luck!

Attachments

• 1CA49865-8D39-4434-A91E-D0A70F133473.jpeg
    1CA49865-8D39-4434-A91E-D0A70F133473.jpeg
    596.1 KB · Views: 102
OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
I drew a firearm Bull week 1 last year. I went with Lost Mountain Outfitters (Hurley Combs) ans they didn’t disappoint. Due to covid restrictions we had to stay in a hotel and not the lodge. Everyone that hunted that week killed a bull. Most of which were very respectable.

I killed a 280” on the second day. From all that I have discovered the population is way down so I decided to optimize my chance and go with him. He has private access in several of the zones.

I didn’t hear one bugle. Luckily my guide new the area and where the elk had been feeding in the early mornings. The first day we got on them but did not get a shot before they moved into the thick cover. The second day we located them almost in the same position but was able to get 160 yard shot. The guides made it easy getting him out with side by side access.

Some others that have a good reputation or Beaver Creek outfitters and Bugles N Struts.

Feel free to message me and I can try to give you any information that I know. Good luck!
I don't think I can message any because I'm too much of a rokslide n00b. my email is [email protected] if you could email me that would be awesome!