Drew A Kentucky Bull Tag!

Guff

FNG
I drew an archery bull tag a few years back and went DIY. If you have the money I highly recommend going with a guide. I managed to get access to a piece of property but it had very few elk and lots of people running all over it. Very hard to find places to hunt IMO. Talked to several people who lived in the area, and they told me there weren't near as many elk as there used to be.

OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
Thanks again everyone for your recommendations and knowledge. I've pretty well decided to go guided... I've hunted elk across the west a bit and haven't ever done a guided hunt but I've heard from many sources that access is the real issue for the Kentucky elk hunting.

I'll keep this thread posted when I figure out which area I draw!

Pigskin

FNG
Ky resident here, my advice.......go with a guide, 3 weeks before season starts the locals that have land connecting to public hunting will heard up any elk and try to drive them on to private land just so you will have to pay to Hunt............it sucks I know but it’s how it is in that are, I’ve had several friends get drawn and That’s pretty much the story almost every single time.......good luck and stay safe.

Kentucky

WKR
Spent 16 years putting in for a tag, got drawn and was a shit show.. side by sides running everywhere, people everywhere.. there are a few elk left but they go up and hour before light and come put an hour after light… can you do it without a guide? Sure, if your lucky.. finding elk over there without a guide is like finding mites on a chickens ass.. it’s possible, but you gotta catch the chicken first.. I spent 12 days boots on the ground and saw lots of sign… and 4 cows eating cudzu.. good luck sneaking through that shit…

OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
I’m going to go guided with Lost Mountain Outfitters. Have talked to a lot of people and no one has anything but the best things to say about them. KYFW should be handing out area/unit selections mid July. I’ll keep the thread posted! Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a notification from Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that I drew a Bull Elk tag for the first firearm season (Sept 25-29, 2021).

Wondering if anyone here has any experience hunting elk out in Kentucky that would be willing to chat!
I watched the whole draw live streamed on my computer because I'm stupid enough to think that after 20 years of applying for both bull and cow firearm that this is surely the year me or my wife would finally get drawn. I know 2 guys who have been drawn twice! over the years!! WRONG AGAIN! I remember seeing the guy from Alaska being drawn. I guess that was you.

You will harvest an elk. It will be hot. I advise you hire a guide. They know every holler and they will get the meat out without spoiling.

Last edited:

TodOz

FNG
Congrats! I gave up on KY years ago. Maybe I should reconsider that decision..... Best of luck to you!

OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
Unit draw results came out today. I don’t think I drew any of my choices, however I did draw a “Unit 4” spot. I have talked to LMO and they think that there is enough potential in unit 4 to take me on as a client! Excited to get out there and hopefully see some elk!

OP
Sousa3819

Sousa3819

FNG
Update:

Just got back home from KY a couple weeks ago and have had some time to process the elk hunt. As I mentioned previously I ended up not drawing any of my choices for a regulated hunting area and got put in the "overflow" zone (unit 4). I did end up going guided with LMO and took a spike on day 3 (he has some pretty odd brow/drop tines. If anyone has any idea what causes this I'd be interested to hear your opinions).

Overall I'm super happy with the outcome and that I was able to get some elk meat back home. LMO did a great job and made the entire thing pretty effortless. If anyone has specific questions about the guiding service feel free to reach out to me.

For anyone curious about KY elk hunting in general... I would say you are almost guaranteed a nice bull if you draw one of the regulated areas during the unit draw. Pretty much everyone else at elk camp that went with the outfitter had huge bulls on the ground early on in the hunt period. Even if you don't draw a regulated area, and get put in the overflow, you still have a decent chance to harvest some type of bull (although there were some hunters that didn't). Being in Unit 4 I was told before I went out that I should shoot the first legal elk I see and I'm happy I did!

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 236
Last edited: