Drew an AZ elk tag

jaeger63

FNG
My name is Tony Cleveland. Ive been building points in AZ for 17 years now. My CC was just hit a few days ago which means I drew a tag for this season. Even though I'm not yet sure, since the results have not officially posted, I imagine I drew my second choice which was 7W. I would like to hear from anyone who has hunted the unit. DId you have a quality hunt? DId you feel crowded by other hunters? In hindsight would you put in for that unit again if you could do it over? Thanks much for any info you may be willing to share.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
mxgsfmdpx,
If I drew my primary I already have info and several guys willing to help me out. If I drew my 2nd choice then yes I'm trying to get ahead of the game and start building intel. If you have a problem with that then just please ignore my post. Thanks
My good friends brother guides that unit. I’ve hunted there and have been apart of 3 other successful hunts in 7W.

Would have happily shared some information if you knew you were actually hunting there. At your request though, I will ignore your post.

What makes you think you drew your second choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
What makes you think you drew your second choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d guess he put a long shot as first choice, one he didn’t have enough points for and hoping to get it in the random pass. 7W took 17 points last year, he likely drew in the preference point round and his first choice was never considered. I could be wrong though.

Short fuses on rokslide lately, congrats on the tag, I’d imagine you will find some info on a tag that takes 17 years to draw. People would likely be more forthcoming if you contributed a little more to the forum.

BBob

WKR
Like many units 7W can be a fantastic unit or a dud depending on conditions that particular year. If they’re out in the cedars it’ll make for an awesome run and gun hunt (assuming archery). Lots to like about the unit and much better elk numbers than its neighbor 7E. As far as crowds, you will encounter others. Part of the game on an AZ elk hunt. You can be by yourself and can get away but expect company at any moment. If archery there’s a cow hunt running at the same time so you’ll have 200 total hunters plus all the support crews running around, it’ll be busy for sure but I’ve had higher numbers in there in the past. As I said it’s part of the game here dealing with other hunters and the crews. Contact will happen, when it does move on, don’t get pissed off, go kill a bull 😀

@BBob is right, first thing I tell everyone I talk to about 7W is expect company. There aren’t a lot of roadless areas and pretty much any spot in the unit is within about an hour and half to two hour hike from a road. You might get lucky and be alone but it can be fleeting.

The other thing I’ll say about the unit is elk can be anywhere at any time. Regardless of the time of year the elk can be at any elevation and in any of the various terrains. Figure out what style of hunting fits yours strengths and get after it.

OP
jaeger63

jaeger63

FNG
Thanks for all your posts guys.
mxgsfmdpx, my apologies if I came off a bit defensive on your post. I either drew 7w or my primary because my CC was hit. I guess I am putting the cart a little ahead of the horse but I'm stuck overseas right now working for the USG. I have a lot of down time on my hands and one of my favorite ways to pass the time is to research hunting opportunities. When my CC got hit after 17 years of building points I got very excited and wanted to talk elk hunting in AZ with folks. I'm 2 points behind my primary unit I applied for so chances are its 7W for me this year.
Again, I'm more than willing to share info about the only high draw unit Ive ever drawn in Colorado which was unit 61. I'll gladly share/trade info with anyone who is building points for CO.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Both choices are looked at.
The way I understand it the bonus pass happens before any of the weighted or random passes. If you have max points needed for your second choice but not your first choice, you get pulled for your second in the first pass, essentially never being considered for your first.
I think it is a pretty common mistake people make in AZ. They will put a unit that takes 20 points draw draw as 1st choice, 15 to draw as second. If they have 15-19 points, they will get selected for second in the first sweep. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

wapitibob

WKR
The way I understand it the bonus pass happens before any of the weighted or random passes. If you have max points needed for your second choice but not your first choice, you get pulled for your second in the first pass, essentially never being considered for your first.

If you draw your 2nd choice in the bonus pass, you're out of the draw. If you want to have a "chance" at drawing your 1st choice in BOTH the bonus pass and 1-2 pass, make sure you don't draw a 2nd choice. Either don't use a 2nd choice or make sure you don't have the points to draw the 2nd choice in the bonus pass. But, both choices always get looked at in at least the bonus pass. If you draw there, you aren't even in the 1-2 pass side.

Last edited:

gburk

WKR
And how is the computer going to give you a 2nd choice tag without first looking at the 1st choice?
It did look at 1st choice already but he didn’t have the points for that pass so it looked at 2nd choice... and boom. 2nd choice awarded and no opportunity in the randomized pass. This is hypothetical for OPs case, who knows if that’s what happened.
All I know for sure is I didn’t draw... 😭

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Y
If you draw your 2nd choice in the bonus pass, you're out of the draw. If you want to have a "chance" at drawing your 1st choice in BOTH the bonus pass and 1-2 pass, make sure you don't draw a 2nd choice. Either don't use a 2nd choice or make sure you don't have the points to draw the 2nd choice in the bonus pass. But, both choices always get looked at in at least the bonus pass. If you draw there, you aren't even in the 1-2 pass side.
Yea man, pretty sure that’s what I just said. Have a good hunt OP

mp12

FNG
It did look at 1st choice already but he didn’t have the points for that pass so it looked at 2nd choice... and boom. 2nd choice awarded and no opportunity in the randomized pass. This is hypothetical for OPs case, who knows if that’s what happened.
All I know for sure is I didn’t draw... 😭
How are you sure they've pulled money from everyone yet?