Drew an interesting tag - could use some advice (CO unit 140)

bgipson

FNG
I'd never leave my rifle behind with a hunt open... the buck in my profile pic (208") was the first buck we saw opening morning (not in your unit) and you can bet I'll potentially go the rest of my life without shooting bigger. Had I not had my rifle I never would have had a chance at him either since he would have disappeared to parts unknown (that allowed him to get this big in the first place). I found out in the months after that I shot him 4+ miles from where some guys scouted him less than a month earlier.

Take your rifle ALWAYS and shoot the buck that strikes your fancy. You will never say "man I'm glad I didn't have my rifle when that bruiser stepped out! I might have had to shoot him..."

OP
Newtosavage
I'd never leave my rifle behind with a hunt open... the buck in my profile pic (208") was the first buck we saw opening morning (not in your unit) and you can bet I'll potentially go the rest of my life without shooting bigger. Had I not had my rifle I never would have had a chance at him either since he would have disappeared to parts unknown (that allowed him to get this big in the first place). I found out in the months after that I shot him 4+ miles from where some guys scouted him less than a month earlier.

Take your rifle ALWAYS and shoot the buck that strikes your fancy. You will never say "man I'm glad I didn't have my rifle when that bruiser stepped out! I might have had to shoot him..."
With respect to sndmn11, who I usually am in total agreement with, I have to agree with your post. I didn't work that hard to get my Savage 7mm-08 down to 6 lbs. 12 oz. just to leave it in the truck. :D If I see one I fancy, I have zero problems shooting him and heading home. That's exactly what I did 3 years ago and I have no regrets. He wasn't big, but he was what I was looking for at the time and I had him in the cooler by 10:00 a.m. opening morning. :D

bgipson

FNG
With respect to sndmn11, who I usually am in total agreement with, I have to agree with your post. I didn't work that hard to get my Savage 7mm-08 down to 6 lbs. 12 oz. just to leave it in the truck. :D If I see one I fancy, I have zero problems shooting him and heading home. That's exactly what I did 3 years ago and I have no regrets. He wasn't big, but he was what I was looking for at the time and I had him in the cooler by 10:00 a.m. opening morning. :D
I took my shot around 09:30 but it took us the better part of the day to pack him and our camp out between my wife, my cousin, and me.

Wifes buck this past season, although not a giant (152" but 28.5" wide) was on our 7th day of hunting. This year I've got all but the first 3 days of our 4 week season off so I've got high hopes. This winter is going to kill a lot of deer so hopefully we can take a few before starvation and disease does.
20210928_214955.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
I think there's no reason a low country pre rut mule deer will move around more than 100 acres. Just like with high country velvets, if you can find a buck today, you can find him tomorrow. I'd feel cheated not looking at 30-50 bucks to see what the place holds because there's no history to draw expectations from.

I've been in a good muley unit the last few years and talk to everyone I come across. The general statement is "I'm here til I shoot a xxx inches buck" in the days leading up to opening. In a day or two I'll run across those same folks with a 3x4 being hauled out "~he just made it too easy and we didn't see any bucks chasing does". They forgot to glass for bedded bucks around the does, and got distracted by the young bucks on their feet being clueless.

jolemons

WKR
Can you camp on the New Mexico side and go in through Sugarite St Park? If so, that's the route I would take. I know guys that hunt the NM side regularly. Every now and then a decent 5 or 6 yr old is killed.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
Can you camp on the New Mexico side and go in through Sugarite St Park? If so, that's the route I would take. I know guys that hunt the NM side regularly. Every now and then a decent 5 or 6 yr old is killed.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Not really an option. We all have to park and access the area from the same spot, it sounds like, which is fine. I have a nice site (albeit very expensive for a campsite) at Trinidad Lake SP. I hate to say it but the price of those sites might keep the rif-raff away, but then again maybe not. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
I think there's no reason a low country pre rut mule deer will move around more than 100 acres. Just like with high country velvets, if you can find a buck today, you can find him tomorrow. I'd feel cheated not looking at 30-50 bucks to see what the place holds because there's no history to draw expectations from.

I've been in a good muley unit the last few years and talk to everyone I come across. The general statement is "I'm here til I shoot a xxx inches buck" in the days leading up to opening. In a day or two I'll run across those same folks with a 3x4 being hauled out "~he just made it too easy and we didn't see any bucks chasing does". They forgot to glass for bedded bucks around the does, and got distracted by the young bucks on their feet being clueless.
Great things to think about! You're making a strong argument. However I am trying to imagine what the deer density would have to be for me to see 30-50 bucks in the area I can hike or glass. I'm not sure there will be 30-50 deer in that area, total. But I do get your point.

sndmn11

WKR
Great things to think about! You're making a strong argument. However I am trying to imagine what the deer density would have to be for me to see 30-50 bucks in the area I can hike or glass. I'm not sure there will be 30-50 deer in that area, total. But I do get your point.

I have looked up the ratio, but 100-150

smith3442

FNG
Very cool tag. I actually hunted the crazy french ranch 10 years ago for elk when it was still private and leased out, I believe 2nd season (end of October back then). Pat Lancaster was the outfitter that hunted it back then. I did see some deer, but the guides loved the deer hunting there and reports of 180-200" deer harvested every year.

I didn't enjoy my elk hunt (more the guide I was with and how he hunted and I am a more of a DIY guy) and I never saw a bull over 280" nor a deer over 150" - but my understanding is the deer move in to that area in November. I would be excited for the hunt and talk with the elk hunters every day as you can help each other out. Good luck and report back.

Lots of bears. Most will be in the ground that time of year, but I would pick up a tag if available.

OP
Newtosavage
Very cool tag. I actually hunted the crazy french ranch 10 years ago for elk when it was still private and leased out, I believe 2nd season (end of October back then). Pat Lancaster was the outfitter that hunted it back then. I did see some deer, but the guides loved the deer hunting there and reports of 180-200" deer harvested every year.

I didn't enjoy my elk hunt (more the guide I was with and how he hunted and I am a more of a DIY guy) and I never saw a bull over 280" nor a deer over 150" - but my understanding is the deer move in to that area in November. I would be excited for the hunt and talk with the elk hunters every day as you can help each other out. Good luck and report back.

Lots of bears. Most will be in the ground that time of year, but I would pick up a tag if available.
Thank you for that insight. I do plan (hope) to be able to compare notes with the elk hunters each day. I'm sure they won't mind sharing info since none of them will have a mule deer tag and I won't have an elk tag. Can't wait to see what's running around the place!

Fatcamp

WKR
3rd season rifle.

I'll be sure to report in after the hunt. Trying not to get my hopes up too much at this point. A lot can happen between now and then.

So the rut. You have the only mule deer tag to 18,000 acres of prime habitat that hasn't been hunted in years. Your hopes and expectations should be high.

Most of us will never see a tag like that.

Good luck, I'll definitely be following along on this one! About 12 years ago my brother in law got lucky and drew a tag really similar to this to hunt an open space property and had like two months to hunt prime rutting and winter range. He ended up shooting a small 4x4 on day two. I wanted to kill him! 😅

I Hope you take your time and find a good one!

OP
Newtosavage
Are there archery/muzzleloader/1st/2nd season deer/elk/bear hunts on the property?
There was an archery mule deer tag and I believe an archery elk tag drawn. So there have been or will be one or two archery hunters on the place. No muzzleloader opportunities that I saw. They did mention that if you had a bear tag, you could take a bear during the mule deer or elk hunt.

To my knowledge, there will only be myself and three elk hunters on the place at that time. Each hunter is allowed one companion, so potentially there could be seven of us out there as I don't plan on bringing anyone along.

I'm not going to get a bear tag as I don't have that much interest in shooting a bear and more importantly I don't want to spend a day or more dealing with a bear hide and quarters when I could be looking for mule deer.

OP
Newtosavage
From the state park website:

• Elk, deer and bear hunting opportunities will be offered for both the September seasons (1 elk, 1 deer, and 1 bear) and regular rifle seasons (3 elk, 1 deer). Additionally, if the lucky winners for the regular rifle season elk and deer opportunities also hold a valid BE083O5R bear license, they will be allowed to hunt bear on the property during their elk or deer season. See what licenses are available.
  • One mountain lion hunter will be allowed access during the mountain lion season
  • September 2022 hunting opportunity: The application period has ended. Winners will be notified by email.
  • Applications closed March 9 for 2022 spring turkey hunting and was offered for up to 5 hunters.