Drew Co unit 66 archery Elk tag.

The Unit took 9 points last year, good chance it takes 10 this year, I'm sitting at 12. 12 points in Colorado is basically no man's land right now. I hunted unit 49 (rifle)when it was 5 points to draw, now its 14. I didn't decide on this unit based off a review or two, I decided on it because it's right in my point range when basically nothing else is.

tdhanses

WKR
It’s a 3pt archery, 5pt muzzle loader, 1pt 1st rifle, 0pt 2nd, 3rd and 4th rifle unit for residents, it’s not a 10pt unit. Now it’s crazy NR used 15pts on muzzleloader but 3pts on 1st rifle. It’s crazy NR used 8pts or more for archery.

Last edited:
I'm not hunting first rifle, planned on archery hunting it. I'd love to hear any suggestions for 12 points nonresident, I have researched it pretty hard and yet to find a better unit with those points, so it's either go now or keep chasing units I have zero sense of catching?

Hello all! also been following this post close. I have 12 points and am thinking of the archery tag in 66 for 2022. I'm going to make it over this summer to put boots on the ground but I'm wanting to rent a couple llamas and they go fast so I need to make a decision on them fast. I love bivy hunting and prefer to get in 4-6 miles deep or whatever it might take. My question is, while e scouting this unit, I've found several 4-wheeler type looking roads "around" the different wilderness areas I've marked to get back into. Can a person hike and get away from people and get really secluded in here? I have a message in to the game warden in this unit but have gotten zero response from him. Any thoughts on that particular question from anyone who's hunted this? Also, I was hoping to not bring an atv but if they are highly recommended then I would. Thanks
I agree with @realunlucky. 12 points is a lot to spend on 66. I hunted it last year, and I would have very disappointed in the quality of elk for 12 points.

sndmn11

WKR
Why does what anyone other than yourself thinks how you should spend your points matter? If your research tells you it is a good choice then draw it and put that research to use.

I appreciate the feedback for sure, like I mentioned earlier, I've really only got a couple choices with 12. I'll definitely go back to the drawing board and look a little harder. Wherever I choose, I will be glad to be done with this point amount and ready to take up the 1–2-point areas and not have as high as expectations, AND just hunt more!

DuaneZ

FNG
Burned 13 (or 14 I don't remember) points there in 2021, and wish I was not 53 years old.....I would be buying points for another archery hunt. The problem is I will never catch the points to hunt the unit again. Had a great hunt, but didn't punch my tag. Also, even if I could draw a tag in 8-10 years I don't think I could get in the shape needed to hunt it. Definitely the most rough country I have ever hunted. We only saw other hunters in one of the areas we hunted. I regretted leaving plan B area....the saying "don't leave elk to find elk" holds true!!!

Ck12

FNG
Never visited this unit before any advice on camping spots, fishing, etc would be appreciated. Burned 8 points so hopefully this hunt will be a fun one. Using trad equipment and generally hunting otc units I am used to less action, but numbers seem pretty good in 66..
Hey Aggieland,
My son drew this tag this year and was wondering what you found for camping options while you were out there? How was your hunt? Thanks.

Ck12

FNG
Sorry I just saw this post. We can text if you still need info, Casey
It won’t let me private message people yet. Haven’t met comment requirement.
My son and I were out there a few weeks ago. Beautiful country and everything is extremely green with all the rain they’ve been having. Looking for water or feed is out the window. Just hoping they are still bugling when we get out there.