Drew ID Unit 32 Spring Bear!

FreeRange

WKR
Now what? Always put in for this hunt when it was combined with 32a but this year they split them and there were a lot more tags for 32 so figured I'd go for it. I'm familiar with 32a but not so much with 32. Put in a couple calls to the biologist over the past month trying to make sure it wasn't foolish to apply for 32 but no response. Anyone have experience with this unit? Mostly looking for tips on access and timing and what to expect where guys will be able to get on ATV's on the BLM. I'll be hunting on foot or with a dirt bike if necessary, looks like a lot of access down low that my 4x4 truck should be able to handle. Very tempted to try first with a bow as I've been close a number of times but have never taken a bear with my bow. Super excited to have drawn my first controlled bear hunt and looking forward to getting out in a little over a month!

Keep trying different bios. No on the bow. Find a monster instead and blast it. I’ve never drawn it but my buddies who hunt over there see tons of bears. Good luck!

rclouse79

WKR
Congrats! I got the tingle in my belly when I saw the “bear results” email from fish and game during lunch, but I wasn’t as lucky as you. I don’t have any experience in that unit, but would assume it has better opportunity based on limited hunters.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the draw! Luck smiled on my buddy and me and we drew it as well. I tried calling the biologists before the draw because it looks like they doubled the tag numbers. I was not able to connect with either of them. I talked to a couple of people about it at the Hunt Expo and they said there are a lot of competing ideas about what to do with the unit. Apparently it has a lot of bears and a lot of the landowners want them thinned out. There are others who don't think it should not be limited to spot and stalk. It was surmised that they decided to keep it spot and stalk but to dramatically increase the tag numbers. The other comment I remember was from a guy who had hunted it who said, it would not be out of the question to see 100 bears in a week. With that context, I'll ask a few questions
1. Am I interepreting the statistics correctly and that they doubled the tag numbers from 100-200?
2. Does anyone have more context about why they increased the tags?
3. How will the hunting experience be with 100 more tag holders, can the area support that kind of pressure?

Congrats on the draw! Luck smiled on my buddy and me and we drew it as well. I tried calling the biologists before the draw because it looks like they doubled the tag numbers. I was not able to connect with either of them. I talked to a couple of people about it at the Hunt Expo and they said there are a lot of competing ideas about what to do with the unit. Apparently it has a lot of bears and a lot of the landowners want them thinned out. There are others who don't think it should not be limited to spot and stalk. It was surmised that they decided to keep it spot and stalk but to dramatically increase the tag numbers. The other comment I remember was from a guy who had hunted it who said, it would not be out of the question to see 100 bears in a week. With that context, I'll ask a few questions
1. Am I interepreting the statistics correctly and that they doubled the tag numbers from 100-200?
2. Does anyone have more context about why they increased the tags?
3. How will the hunting experience be with 100 more tag holders, can the area support that kind of pressure?
This is just my opinion, individual mileage may vary. Prior to splitting 32 from 32A, I wanna say there were less than 75 tags for both units combined. This has been a strictly controlled bear hunt since at least 1984, possibly longer (I was still playing with Tonka Trucks before that). The bears have migrated out of 32a and down into 32 due to population saturation. Unit 32 is primarily desert and ag ground, there is a small portion that is timber but not much. The 200 tags was offered to temper the locals dissatisfaction with problem bears. There were bears in Emmett valley last summer which should tell you that the population is past the threshold. The area can support that many hunters, but they aren't going to find that many bears.

rclouse79

WKR
This is just my opinion, individual mileage may vary. Prior to splitting 32 from 32A, I wanna say there were less than 75 tags for both units combined. This has been a strictly controlled bear hunt since at least 1984, possibly longer (I was still playing with Tonka Trucks before that). The bears have migrated out of 32a and down into 32 due to population saturation. Unit 32 is primarily desert and ag ground, there is a small portion that is timber but not much. The 200 tags was offered to temper the locals dissatisfaction with problem bears. There were bears in Emmett valley last summer which should tell you that the population is past the threshold. The area can support that many hunters, but they aren't going to find that many bears.
Probably good advice, but before you decide to not pick your tag up make sure he didn’t draw this hunt too. In that case maybe this should be posted in the “Let me just help you hunt somewhere else” thread.

OP
FreeRange

FreeRange

WKR
Thanks customweld. To me that explanation makes a lot of sense. Even still I’m game to show up and help scare the bears back north into 32a. But what you bring up is what gave me pause in applying and why I was hoping to chat with the bio.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Customweld, thanks for your thoughts. If I'm thinking right, unit 32 and 32A split off from each other in 2018, or maybe 2017? I know they were still together back in 2016. What is interesting is that IDFG website hasn't published bear harvest stats since 2016. Unit 32 continues to get a lot of applicants--over 1000 in 2019. It sounds like there is still pretty good demand to draw that permit. Whatever the case, it sounds like they really want to knock the bear population down this year.

Customweld, thanks for your thoughts. If I'm thinking right, unit 32 and 32A split off from each other in 2018, or maybe 2017? I know they were still together back in 2016. What is interesting is that IDFG website hasn't published bear harvest stats since 2016. Unit 32 continues to get a lot of applicants--over 1000 in 2019. It sounds like there is still pretty good demand to draw that permit. Whatever the case, it sounds like they really want to knock the bear population down this year.
I believe you are correct in the change happening in 2018. Bear follows the rest of big game and is updated every 2 years. I’m not sure why IFG hasn’t updated the harvest stats. The bears have really been making a nuisance of theirselves on private ground. My in-laws live above Council (32a), it’s not uncommon to see 8-10 different bears around their place in late summer and early fall.

Jtay561

FNG
Now what? Always put in for this hunt when it was combined with 32a but this year they split them and there were a lot more tags for 32 so figured I'd go for it. I'm familiar with 32a but not so much with 32. Put in a couple calls to the biologist over the past month trying to make sure it wasn't foolish to apply for 32 but no response. Anyone have experience with this unit? Mostly looking for tips on access and timing and what to expect where guys will be able to get on ATV's on the BLM. I'll be hunting on foot or with a dirt bike if necessary, looks like a lot of access down low that my 4x4 truck should be able to handle. Very tempted to try first with a bow as I've been close a number of times but have never taken a bear with my bow. Super excited to have drawn my first controlled bear hunt and looking forward to getting out in a little over a month!

Good luck! I wasn’t quite as lucky and didn’t draw. Now that much more ground to choose from. Was mainly hoping to draw to take the stress out of picking a zone/spot!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seems to me the biologists in that area need to answer their phones. Outdoorsmen pay their salaries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jtay561

FNG
Seems to me the biologists in that area need to answer their phones. Outdoorsmen pay their salaries.

Yeah... not quite their job description to give hunting spots to everybody with a cell phone and that can googlecthe states directory.

That’s a perfect attitude that will prove that you undervalue their true work and make them definitely not share valuable info!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah... not quite their job description to give hunting spots to everybody with a cell phone and that can googlecthe states directory.

That’s a perfect attitude that will prove that you undervalue their true work and make them definitely not share valuable info!
Who said anything about giving hunting spots? If you have an area specific question about any animal species, and they're the biologists in that area, then it's their damn job to answer those questions. It's pretty simple really. That's what they are on the clock for, biology stuff. That includes doing fish counts, animal counts, riparian studies etc etc.... and answering questions related to said counts.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have friends who are wildlife biologists in other states. They've answered every question I've had, and those that other people have asked. They're never too busy to give someone a call back to talk about their area of operations. That's literally what they get paid for.

False. Their job is public facing for sure, at least in Idaho. Of course it also includes field time as well. The McCall office bios have been way worse for me to try to get ahold of compared to just about any others. Difficulty does vary from bio to bio.

I’ve spent a lot of time talking to bios in Idaho and a few other states. I appreciate their work.