Drew NV 071-079,091

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,
Long time lurker/reader, first time poster. I drew what it sounds like people call the 'big 7' or 'area 7' late any weapon deer tag. I've already been scouring maps and reading as much as I can online. I'll have a week to hunt this tag and was hoping this would reach some people who are familiar with the area or have hunted on this tag before. Is the hunting pressure bad? I've seen people posting about seeing a lot of other hunters. I assume it is the typical "get off the road if you want to get away from people".

It's such a large area that I thought I'd see if anyone would be willing to help and just point me in a direction as a place to start.

Thanks

ID_Matt

WKR
I drew the early any weapon tag... new area to me as well! Good luck. I am lucky I can be in the unit within an hour or so

GeoHunter

FNG
With the late tag, the pressure won't be too bad. They don't give out too many of those and as you mentioned, the area is huge. The early tag can be a bit more crowded. The Jarbidge area has some really nice deer in it, but fewer and further between. Far more elk in there than deer. The Snake Range and Pequops can also be pretty good places to start. Overall it's a low-ish deer density area, but is so huge that you can find your own area to hunt with enough deer around to find one you like. Stay mobile and spend a lot of time glassing. There are some really nice bucks that come out of that hunt every year.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Good info, thanks guys. The late season is Oct 21th-Nov 5th. That is pretty consistent with what I've heard about the deer in the Jarbridge.

I'm going to give it my best shot and try to find one of those really nice bucks, but I already know i'm going to have a hard time passing a 160" deer. Thanks again

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
What are the dates for the late season? I was in there elk hunting last year and can give you some some info. PM me.
Oct. 21st-Nov 5th is the late season. I will, but I'm not sure why but I can't PM you? It might be because I am new, I'm not sure if you can pm me but I will try next week if it lets me do it then. How did your elk hunt go? A family member of mine drew the muzzleloader sept. bull hunt in the jarbridge for this fall.

ID_Matt

WKR
Oct. 21st-Nov 5th is the late season. I will, but I'm not sure why but I can't PM you? It might be because I am new, I'm not sure if you can pm me but I will try next week if it lets me do it then. How did your elk hunt go? A family member of mine drew the muzzleloader sept. bull hunt in the jarbridge for this fall.
I believe you have to have 10 posts before it will let you message someone.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You drew a good, but challenging tag. Congrats and I hope you find a great buck.

As you have mentioned, this is a huge area. With some decent weather you have a chance for some rutting activity, in particular with weather. The Jarbridge is definetly the most famous for it's bulls, but over the years writing the Nevada MRS I have learned about solid bucks that come from there. The bucks have tended to come from all over the unit group though where as the the elk tag the Jarbridge is far and away where the bulls come from.

If you have time to scout I would, knowing how to move from area to area could make the difference in such a big unit group.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
You drew a good, but challenging tag. Congrats and I hope you find a great buck.

As you have mentioned, this is a huge area. With some decent weather you have a chance for some rutting activity, in particular with weather. The Jarbridge is definetly the most famous for it's bulls, but over the years writing the Nevada MRS I have learned about solid bucks that come from there. The bucks have tended to come from all over the unit group though where as the the elk tag the Jarbridge is far and away where the bulls come from.

If you have time to scout I would, knowing how to move from area to area could make the difference in such a big unit group.
Thanks for the info. I'm excited for the challenge.

I'm trying to get my work scheduled figured out to see if I'll have time for a scouting trip. Good advice though thanks.

It's a really good tag to see deer, but finding a big buck can be difficult. The deer migrate from the Jarbidge to the Pequops starting in late September. I had the tag a few years ago and saw plenty of deer on the edges of the Jarbidge in late October. I would hunt the last week or so of the season and have several places to hunt from the wilderness area to the wintering ground. Find the does and the mature bucks will be staging around them.

I personally liked staying up in the mountains. I didn't run into too many other hunters.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
It's a really good tag to see deer, but finding a big buck can be difficult. The deer migrate from the Jarbidge to the Pequops starting in late September. I had the tag a few years ago and saw plenty of deer on the edges of the Jarbidge in late October. I would hunt the last week or so of the season and have several places to hunt from the wilderness area to the wintering ground. Find the does and the mature bucks will be staging around them.

I personally liked staying up in the mountains. I didn't run into too many other hunters.
How’d your hunt go a few years ago? Staying toward the mountains or even in the foothills sounded more appealing to me too but not married to anything, good to hear you didn’t run into too many other hunters.

I’ll enjoy the hunt a lot if I can see a lot of deer. Thanks for the info

How’d your hunt go a few years ago? Staying toward the mountains or even in the foothills sounded more appealing to me too but not married to anything, good to hear you didn’t run into too many other hunters.

I’ll enjoy the hunt a lot if I can see a lot of deer. Thanks for the info
I essentially watched deer in a large basin for four days. Killed a buck I probably should have passed, but I was happy with it at the time. A friend had the tag at the same time and hunted a different area. Killed a really nice deer. Feel free to PM me for questions. I have a doe tag up there this fall with a few other guys.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I essentially watched deer in a large basin for four days. Killed a buck I probably should have passed, but I was happy with it at the time. A friend had the tag at the same time and hunted a different area. Killed a really nice deer. Feel free to PM me for questions. I have a doe tag up there this fall with a few other guys.
Cool - yeah I’ll definitely send you a pm next week, thanks. I’m going to spend some more time looking at maps this weekend. I really appreciate it

Bubba

FNG
I had the early tag last year. It was a hard hunt. Never seen one buck that would go over over 150". I hiked into the wilderness and seen very few deer. I passed several small 4x4's. I spent a lot of time glassing and never turned up anything decent. The bucks were starting to hang with doe's at the end of the hunt. Be prepared for cold and wind. Put a plan B and C together if you not seeing anything. I wished I would have moved around to different areas.

Congrats.
I’ll be in there for archery.
I’ve never been before, so no help from here, but good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I had the early tag last year. It was a hard hunt. Never seen one buck that would go over over 150". I hiked into the wilderness and seen very few deer. I passed several small 4x4's. I spent a lot of time glassing and never turned up anything decent. The bucks were starting to hang with doe's at the end of the hunt. Be prepared for cold and wind. Put a plan B and C together if you not seeing anything. I wished I would have moved around to different areas.
That's what I'm planning on, have quite a few back up plans and be pretty mobile. I've never hunted in such a large unit. Thanks for the info

dhoshauer

FNG
I would call the Biologist, she is very helpful. I would not pack into the Jarbidge. I have experience in there and maybe you could find a good buck, but I would'nt waste your time in there. You will be far better with a solid truck and or ATV/side by side. Cover as much ground as you can and spend time behind your glass. There are roads everywhere. Yes its a giant area but you have a good tag. I would cover as much country as you can from sun up to sun down trying to find the buck you want. Some units are better then others, but I think you have a great chance at finding a solid buck if you hunt hard. Sometimes a short walk can get you to glass country that can't be seen from the road. Good luck, hunt hard.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I would call the Biologist, she is very helpful. I would not pack into the Jarbidge. I have experience in there and maybe you could find a good buck, but I would'nt waste your time in there. You will be far better with a solid truck and or ATV/side by side. Cover as much ground as you can and spend time behind your glass. There are roads everywhere. Yes its a giant area but you have a good tag. I would cover as much country as you can from sun up to sun down trying to find the buck you want. Some units are better then others, but I think you have a great chance at finding a solid buck if you hunt hard. Sometimes a short walk can get you to glass country that can't be seen from the road. Good luck, hunt hard.
I was planning on giving the biologist a call this summer, good to hear she's helpful (sometimes they are not). Good advice, thank you!