Drew SD Black Hills Elk

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
What a start to a great day.

Finally drew my Black Hills "Any Elk" tag. I Cant wait to get back to the hills for this hunt.

OP
lastcall

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I drew H2A21.

I can't hardly wipe the smile off my face.. Very excited for this year.

OP
lastcall

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Started looking at the aerial maps for the unit, looks like they logged the hell out of the where I hunt. I hope it wont affect the Elk in the area to much.

Plainsman

FNG
Started looking at the aerial maps for the unit, looks like they logged the hell out of the where I hunt. I hope it wont affect the Elk in the area to much.

It might actually help, if the logging has been a couple years ago, as it should open up some dense stuff so the sun can get grass and browse going, Pray for a growing season with good rainfall.

Just found out my Dad drew his archery tag. Alas, I never will as I no longer live in SD. We may forgo our CO OTC hunt to go up and call/film for him. My brother shot a good bull in unit 2 about 12 years ago. He was going to CO to be camp cook. Guess I will now go to SD to be camp cook for him. He is 73 so probably his last elk hunt in SD as the hunter. I may try and steal away for a few days and try and arrow a goat though.

Great job guys.

OP
lastcall

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Sodaksooner, Best of luck to your dad this year. What archery unit did he draw?

Last edited:
OP
lastcall

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Above Timber, the unit is roughly from Deadwood South to highway 16 and the WY boarder/hwy 385.

Might do that. Never have before but since I am only carrying camera equipment and not a bow, I can focus on documenting it....

I honestly think my brother and I might be more excited than my dad. Brother was already out scouting this weekend and seeing lots of good sign in his old spots. Of course he lives just off Sheridan Lake Road, so pretty easy to get out and look around.

OP
lastcall

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
I've never done a live hunt either. Sounds like a great idea though.