Dried sausage (meat hardtack)

So i live near a very German town here in Nebraska. And one of their residents started a company, then closed it down, and now he just works on his own for friends and family. The company was lone wolf meats, and they made what they called Hardtac but in reality it was a dried sausage.

It was amazing when it was selling locally and as you chewed it more and more flavor would release from it.

His was made with pork and beef and I would love to try to make some with wild game but I can't come up with any recipes. Does anyone have a dried sausage recipe to try?

Pic included to give you an idea of what it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200830-151443.png
    Screenshot_20200830-151443.png
    879.2 KB · Views: 68
I live just south of Omaha now, from NC originally. I made some last winter like we make back home. I use Olp Plantation Seasonings blend 10. I also add extra crushed red pepper to taste. Try to hang it somewhere that will be mostly shaded so it stays around 40 degrees. The first week is most important. If you do a google search for, North Carolina air dried sausage, you will find more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
I think you are looking for Landjaeger

A friend of mine had some made with bear meat at a local german place. Came out really good and even better after storing the in the refrigerator in a paper bag for a few days.

Sounds similar to Pemmican, which is a very longstanding native American food. Probably not the same and different intentions, sounds delicious!