Drill- through vs Strap-on kydex cheek riser

TheCougar

WKR
I’m getting an adjustable cheek rest for my X-bolt so my son can shoot it. I’ve used the triads (not a fan) and I’ve got a rifle with a Bradley Cheek rest (big fan, hate the price). I’ve been looking at a drill through style of kydex cheek rest. Same functionality of the Bradley at 1/3 the price. My only question is the screws and knobs. The screws look pretty heavy and the knobs sticking out of the stock seem really impractical for carrying in the mountains and strapping to a pack. It’s a one way street, with drilling through the stock, so I can’t screw this up. Any thoughts or experience? Even better, know anyone who can make a Bradley knock-off for $50?

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple of the Mathews fabrication screw through style. Installation was very easy, he even has a YouTube video showing step by step instructions.
They cost about $45 and I’ve been real happy with them.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Anyone else with experience on the drill through risers? The knobs are my concern- look good for the range, not for carrying and mountain hunting. (Catches on stuff, unscrews and falls off, that’s, etc).

LaHunter

WKR
I have a Kydex riser on my HS Precision. Ordered it from Karsten Kydex (spelling??). There are bolt options that run flush with the cheek piece that don't stick out. The only drawback of this set up is you will need the allen wrench to take it off or adjust it. I have been happy with mine for the past couple years.

Agree with LaHunter, Karsten is what you are looking for, they have three different models, two of which the hardware is flush and adjusted with allen wrenches. I have had 2 and loved them, straight forward installation and rock solid once set. Only issue I would see is newer xbolts have an odd stock geometry, at least my hell's canyon does. It might cause an issue with a drill through but I am not sure, just something to research.

Karsten is good stuff. You'll like it if you go that way.

I've had good luck with regular old strap up stock packs most of the time if only a little boost is needed.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, I think the Karsten is the way I’m going to go. The price is reasonable and looks like it fits the bill!

Doghed

WKR
I made a Bradley inspired kydex strap-on for the monte carlo stock of my M700 VLS. I liked their product but nothing really fit that type of stock. Works great. It didn't cost much. IMG_3938.jpgIMG_3939.jpg

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I ended up with a Matthews kydex riser that I had to drill through the stock. I added the flush mount bolts, and it works great. Thanks for the ideas.