Drilling in Yellowstone….could save America

Beendare

WKR
Thats the title of an interesting article in the WSJ today.
Excerpt;
In 2017 scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory evaluated the caldera’s energy flows as well as the potential dam-age and probability of a super-volcanic eruption, which has happened at Yellowstone three times previously. The last such eruption was 631,000 years ago; the one before that was 669,000 years prior. It’s not a matter of if it’ll erupt but when. The JPL found that the devastation of such an eruption would exceed that of an asteroid 1½ miles wide crashing to Earth.

They go on to predict over 3“ of volcanic ash as far as Lincoln, Ne and create massive devastation.The thoery on drilling is to release the pressure that would also create clean geothermal energy. The drilling is currently prohibited in Nat Parks.

Seems like I saw a similar article in Popular Mechanics 40 yrs ago That this caldera is a ticking time bomb.

Yup. We were reading about this a couple years ago to the kids when we did our family trip to Yellowstone. Everything we read basically states the entire country is F'd and would likely end most of the worlds population due to the ash and smoke and subsequent drop in temps.

I haven't read anything about drilling it though. That seems like it could potentially cause it to blow.

It's very interesting stuff

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Five of earths mass extinctions were caused by volcano's.

I can imagine we could drill enough to really make a dent. The energy stored in there is almost beyond comprehension. It’s like the scene in Armageddon where the general wants to launch a bunch of nukes and the scientist tells him that would be like shooting a BB gun at a freight train.

It’s scary stuff. I would assume worldwide mass starvation would be the main issue given how much food production is produced in North America.

rclouse79

WKR
I listened to some interesting podcasts with Joe Rogan, Graham Hancock and Randal Carlson where they talked about evidence of natural disasters from ice core samples, ash deposits, and nuclear glass. All you have to do is look at the moon. It is way smaller than the earth and it is riddled with craters. It just doesn’t have oceans to cover them up and weather to erode them away. It is interesting to think that most of the evidence of our existence would be gone in a relatively short amount of time. It makes you wonder what civilization looked like before being reset by glaciers, asteroid impacts, volcanic eruptions, etc.

mlgc20

WKR
I'd kick that can down the road a few thousand years. Maybe technology will get better at predicting and even dealing with something like that. Otherwise, I'd say leave Yellowstone alone. The last thing I want is to be hiking in the Thorofare walking past a government drilling operation.

Also, who does the drilling? Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck?

BluMtn

WKR
Read up on Yellowstone Lake. For several years now scientist have been following research on the lake floor. It is rising several inches a year. Picnic areas next to the lake that have been there for a long time are now underwater. They think there is a lava dome under the lake that will eventually erupt.

Do people really live their lives in fear of stuff like this?????

Yellowstone is the least of our nation's worries at this point.

I don't think so. It's one of those things that's so impossible to predict or control, there's no point in worrying about it.

Even our youngest boy didn't get worried about it and he's got more anxiety than any person I know.

S.Clancy

WKR
I listened to some interesting podcasts with Joe Rogan, Graham Hancock and Randal Carlson where they talked about evidence of natural disasters from ice core samples, ash deposits, and nuclear glass. All you have to do is look at the moon. It is way smaller than the earth and it is riddled with craters. It just doesn’t have oceans to cover them up and weather to erode them away. It is interesting to think that most of the evidence of our existence would be gone in a relatively short amount of time. It makes you wonder what civilization looked like before being reset by glaciers, asteroid impacts, volcanic eruptions, etc.
The moon also doesn't have an atmosphere which means it gets hit by every space rock that flies by. Alot of smaller impacts burn up in our atmosphere. It also slows down the velocity of those impacts.

rclouse79

WKR
The moon also doesn't have an atmosphere which means it gets hit by every space rock that flies by. Alot of smaller impacts burn up in our atmosphere. It also slows down the velocity of those
True. Some obviously still make it through with enough energy to cause massive damage. The point I was trying to make is it is easy to not think about things you can’t easily see. You can easily see impacts on the moon. It is also easy to only look at things through the lens of our life, which is a blink of an eye.

It's sad that if we found out an explosion was imminent and drilling was an actual option to prevent us all from dying, America would be split on the he issue and there's be a huge fight and we would all be typing how we hate the idiots or sheep on the other side while it blows up and we die.

Haha anyway, for some reason the whole NEO thing that could potentially end the whole Earth's existence doesn't interest me anywhere near as much as Yellowstone supervolcano.

I'll be reading about Yellowstone lake instead of working today haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't think so. It's one of those things that's so impossible to predict or control, there's no point in worrying about it.

Even our youngest boy didn't get worried about it and he's got more anxiety than any person I know.
Just look at the world's fear of climate change.....there are people that are genuinely worried and fearful. I would say "yes" people do fear a lot of stuff that they can't control. Just look at Covid. There are people that got the vaccines and still wear multiple masks, and yet they're still terrified by folks that are maskless and/or unvaccinated. SMH

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's sad that if we found out an explosion was imminent and drilling was an actual option to prevent us all from dying, America would be split on the he issue and there's be a huge fight and we would all be typing how we hate the idiots or sheep on the other side while it blows up and we die.
It's equally sad that we have a book that details hundreds of prophesies that have all been fulfilled, and it details exactly how things will end on earth and what to do in preparation for that........yet the entire world is split on that as well. I'm a math guy......I like those 100% to date prophesy fulfillments to also bet on the future as well. I don't live my life in fear......at all. God's got it all under control, for His purposes. (y)

minengr

FNG
Those are some interesting podcasts. I'd heard of the short faced bear, but never knew there were lions and giant ground sloths in North America.