Drilling Seek Outside Carbon Poles

UA_Blake

FNG
Anyone ever drilled carbon fiber tent poles before? I want to drill the adjustable section of my Redcliff pole to be able to use it with my LBO.

tdot

WKR
You can do it. High quality, sharp bits are the key. I dont remember off the top of my head, but there is a specific grind that is best. Maybe research for best carbon fiber drill bits.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Or you could just buy a pole from Ruta Locura and not risk screwing up your Redcliff pole

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
Or you could just buy a pole from Ruta Locura and not risk screwing up your Redcliff pole

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I see they are about $30 cheaper than Seek Outside. Thanks for the info!

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I've worked a lot with carbon fiber tubing specifically. Tape it before cutting or drilling to help prevent splintering. You should use a drill press and clamp the piece down solidly. The bit will want to grab just before breaking through either side and if you don't have it clamped it will torque pretty bad riding cracking it. Several layers of masking tape wrapped tightly around it helps. You are actually almost better using a dremel and a small ball grinding bit. Make a small hole and keep slowly opening it bigger as needed.

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
You dont need to drill it to work with the LBO.
Take a segment out, and flip the adjustment holes.

Our adjuster is designed to be flipped to minimize holes
That was simple!!! Thanks for the info saved me some $$