Drinking from a fire hose......

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm attempting to dive in, and research my 1st Antelope hunt for 2021. I have a basic understanding of the point system, but can't quite make sense of some state statistics for draw odds.

Trying to choose my best course of action, with 0 points. (3 of us will be going together. All 0 pointers)

Wyoming?? South Dakota?? Nebraska?? Where would you toss your hat in the ring for a DIY hunt?

Jimss

WKR
A general rule of thumb in Wyoming is that the more public land and quality bucks available the more preference points it requires to draw a tag. Last winter was horrible in some regions in Wyo and not bad in others. Wyo antelope tags were cut in a lot of regions in 2020. Obviously when tag numbers are up it takes fewer years to draw tags. In lean years there are few 2nd choice and leftover tags available.....and it generally takes more pts to draw. You can likely draw a Wyo antelope tag with 0 to 1 pt but the unit may be almost entirely private and you will likely have company on the little public land that is available.

If you don't want to wait for a quality antelope hunt I would highly recommend New Mexico where you can hunt every year. In New Mexico there are landowner tags available as well as an outfitter draw with fairly good draw odds and quality bucks available in some units.

OP
Aries_Ranger

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
A general rule of thumb in Wyoming is that the more public land and quality bucks available the more preference points it requires to draw a tag. Last winter was horrible in some regions in Wyo and not bad in others. Wyo antelope tags were cut in a lot of regions in 2020. Obviously when tag numbers are up it takes fewer years to draw tags. In lean years there are few 2nd choice and leftover tags available.....and it generally takes more pts to draw. You can likely draw a Wyo antelope tag with 0 to 1 pt but the unit may be almost entirely private and you will likely have company on the little public land that is available.

If you don't want to wait for a quality antelope hunt I would highly recommend New Mexico where you can hunt every year. In New Mexico there are landowner tags available as well as an outfitter draw with fairly good draw odds and quality bucks available in some units.
First-year out, not looking for a B&C Buck.

But I am looking for the experience and the opportunity to put meat in the freezer.

Just want to make sure I'm doing my best to get the opportunity to succeed.

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
First-year out, not looking fora B&C Buck.

But I am looking for the experience and the opportunity to put meat in the freezer.

Don’t forget about out doe tags if you’re looking at Wyoming. That’s what I did my first time just to get my feet wet. They are also a lot cheaper than buck tags and you need 0 points for any unit.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Doe tags were easy to draw a couple of years ago in Wyoming but the demand for tags in 2020 made it a real challenge in most areas. I hope 2021 is not as bad, but don't count on it. Look carefully at the draw odds from the past two years.

Some guys do have good diy hunts in the Wyoming 0 point areas and love to crow about it on bulletin boards, but there are others that have a miserable time dealing with the hunting pressure on the limited public land. It is not for everybody. Good luck.

Antelope hunting is about as difficult as bluegill fishing.

If the biden stimulus expansion goes through, draw odds will plummet worse than last year. This has made doe tags harder to draw than bucks.

I think casual Antelope hunting is a thing of the past.

You'll have to start planning Antelope hunts 5 years out now, and hope point creep doesn't kick you in the nuts.

Was thinking about picking up a doe tag this year. If anyone has experience with the antelope hunting in NE in Wyoming would love to pick your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Me andy guys are on the 5 yr plan, 6 actually since one fella didn't get a point 2 yrs ago....

Doe tags were easy to draw a couple of years ago in Wyoming but the demand for tags in 2020 made it a real challenge in most areas. I hope 2021 is not as bad, but don't count on it. Look carefully at the draw odds from the past two years.

Some guys do have good diy hunts in the Wyoming 0 point areas and love to crow about it on bulletin boards, but there are others that have a miserable time dealing with the hunting pressure on the limited public land. It is not for everybody. Good luck.

A group of three of us went out in WY 20 this year. There was pressure on every square inch of public land. Every. Square. Inch. We hunted from October 21st-25th.

On the 21st, we saw exactly 5 Antelope on public land, 4 does and a barely-a-buck. On the 22nd there was a blizzard, and when we got out we saw 0 Antelope on public land. On the 23rd it was a nice, crystal clear, single-digit temperature day, and we saw 0 Antelope on public land. On the 24th, it was back to blizzard with white out conditions. We saw a small herd on public, but lost them in the whiteout before we could get a shot . On the 25th, visibility was wildly better than the 24th, but there was virtually no one out. The significant snow had reduced pressure, and the worsened conditions had made more of the terrain accessible only to lifted 4WD vehicles with a locking rear differential. We were able to get into a more remote section, and successfully got two bucks.

There were lots of antelope on private land, and many hunters stopping their vehicles directly opposite the fence on public land, guaranteeing that the antelope were staying on private. Take a look at Google Maps/onX when you're looking at your unit. Unit 20 is like 40% public land, but probably 2/3 of it is mountainous and not Antelope country. Don't just look at a public land percentage and think that correlates to opportunity, some public land sections are 100% land locked.

WCB

WKR
Count SD out....unless you bow hunt...but it is going to take 3-4 years to even consider thinking of having a chance.

Laramie

WKR
The difference in experience between hunting a zero point until and a 3+ point until can literally feel like you are hunting a different species. People shoot antelope on zero point hunts but it can be far from easy. In a 3+ point unit, it's typically pretty dang easy unless you are holding out for 80" bucks.

Your best course of action, imo, is to apply as a party for doe tags and buy preference points to use in the future.

OP
Aries_Ranger

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Not if you draw a first choice tag. You can draw second choice or a doe tag and still buy a point.
Do folks put in for unobtainable units 1st choice, so they get the option to get a Buck/Any tag on 2nd / 3rd choice and still have the opportunity to buy a point?

I know that's gaming the system....but.

First-year out, not looking fora B&C Buck.

I’m in the same boat as you sir, looking at making this my first hunt out west.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do folks put in for unobtainable units 1st choice, so they get the option to get a Buck/Any tag on 2nd / 3rd choice and still have the opportunity to buy a point?

All the time. I’ve done it each of the last three years. Although decent 2nd choice options are getting harder and harder to come by. I personally wouldn’t bother with a 3rd choice.

Laramie

WKR

Yes, but keep in mind that there is a slim chance (depends on number of applicants how slim) that you can draw in the random portion of the drawing. Apply as a party to avoid having just one person get lucky.

It's not gaming the system at all- they set it up intentionally to allow for that so those unpopular tags sell.

wytx

WKR
Remember 25% of the tags are in a random pool drawing too. You could draw a good area with 0 PP.