Drinking Water strategy

Mikido

WKR
For a multi day backpacking September Colorado trip , is a 32oz nalgene + 2L bladder sufficient? Can I expect to reasonably find water along the way into the mountains, or is it something I have to make a concerted effort to find? Appreciate the input.

I will base my camping locations on their proximity to water sources. There is water to be found out there, just know that you'll want to confirm that a spring or creek is running. Just because its labeled on a map, doesnt mean it will be producing.

My preference is to run 2x 1.5l nalgenes. Being hydrated is important to me, so I also run 2x 10l dromedary bags, one for clean and one for dirty. I connect a full size Sawyer between them for filtration and let gravity do the work. I've found that this set up affords me the most flexibility so that I dont have to process water every single day. Also, if theres a big storm coming in or the temps will drop well below freezing, a 10l bag of water will resist freezing much better than something of less volume. I dont think my set up is common, but after having giardia once was enough.

hobbes

WKR
I've not hunted all of Colorado, but everywhere that I hunted the mountains had enough water that finding it wasn't a problem. Considering that, a 2 liter bladder and a filter was always enough.

A gallon a day if not positive there will be water.

And sorry for my ignorance, but when folks talk about water on maps, do they generally mean named lakes and creeks, or are there maps that also show springs and other small/isolated water sources?

Depends on the map you use. This is a screen cap from a USFS map. The consistent blue line always has water (in this area) and the dashed lines are feeders that dont always run.
Screenshot_20201225-105911_Gaia GPS.jpg

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
I will base my camping locations on their proximity to water sources. There is water to be found out there, just know that you'll want to confirm that a spring or creek is running. Just because its labeled on a map, doesnt mean it will be producing.

My preference is to run 2x 1.5l nalgenes. Being hydrated is important to me, so I also run 2x 10l dromedary bags, one for clean and one for dirty. I connect a full size Sawyer between them for filtration and let gravity do the work. I've found that this set up affords me the most flexibility so that I dont have to process water every single day. Also, if theres a big storm coming in or the temps will drop well below freezing, a 10l bag of water will resist freezing much better than something of less volume. I dont think my set up is common, but after having giardia once was enough.
I got Giardia in India a few years ago. Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks by the time it was diagnosed. Somebody should put it into pill form as a diet drug! Thanks for
The responses

WAKAN

FNG
Your setup is good for 90% of the situations you will find in CO elk country. If in doubt throw an extra empty bladder or nalgene in your pack. The amount of exertion required to pack extra fluid at 8.3#/gallon in high elevation country is something to keep in mind. You will be able to dial in your sweet spot once you get in and access the water sources. I typically always pack less than my container capacity, as most areas I find water sources spaced often enough that it's not worth packing the extra weight.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I carry more. You may be dealing with high temps, low humidity, high elevation, and strenuous exercise. Why not carry have more capacity? I assume weight is not the issue or you would use a smart water bottle rather than a nalgene - smart water bottles are 5 times lighter than nalgenes. Also, I imagine space isn't the issue because a bladder or drom bag doesn't take any space.

Think about getting into camp dehydrated after a long day with only 3 liters. You drink some water right away to rehydrate and boil some to rehydrate your dinner. Now a liter is gone. You drink some with dinner, go to bed, and take a few drinks during the night. Now your second liter is gone. You wake up and between morning coffee and trying to get ahead of hydration, your third liter is gone. Your boots aren't even on yet and you are entirely out of water in a hot, arid, high elevation environment that is not familiar to you.

For folks who say 3 liters of capacity is enough, I am curious if you have ever taken only 3 liters of capacity on a backpack hunting trip in Colorado to a location you were not familiar with.

There are spots in Colorado where elk will travel 2 or 3 miles once a day to water, so you can find yourself in elk and not near water. True, you can plan on camping near water, but what if you see lots of sign in a spot without water? Some extra capacity comes in really handy.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Your water is going to be highly dependent on the exact area you are in and whether it is a drought year. Some of those creeks and ponds could be bone dry. Elk can travel miles to get a drink, and if water is scarce, will know where the tiniest water holes are.

But again, highly area specific, the Gore range looks like a rainforest, lots of water. The Sangre de Cristos are highly variable.

Consult fellow hikers, hunters, fisherman, and forest service or blm. Bring water, have a plan on where to get it, and 2 or 3 backup plans.

If you’re not finding water consistently, I would think you are not where the elk are. Those beasts need much more water than you do...

That all depends. True it helps to know where the local water sources are. Both for you and the elk. However just because there may be water in a certain location doesn’t mean the elk will be there come sun up. Knowing what the elk are doing and when and where they’re doing it is just as, if not, more important. I could point to so many encounters I’ve had with elk where there was no water within 3-5 miles. Even killed a few in these locations.