Drip edge on roof?

stonewall

WKR
We’re building a house right now. Noticed there’s no drip edge installed on the roof. It’s a shingled roof. Per the builder, “we don’t do that anymore - if water gets under it, the water will be trapped and cause problems”

Seems like he’s trying to cut corners. Everything I’ve read and ever heard says you should have a drip edge.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Thank you

lonedave

WKR
Best to check with your local building inspector, but no water should be "trapped"....sounds like someone's cutting corners to me too.

Wapack

FNG
It is required by code with asphalt shingles in my state. I can't see any application where it would be advantages not to use it. The whole point of roofing materials is that water will not "get under it" if water is getting to your sheathing that's a failed roof. I would check code in your area.

freshta

WKR
I’m a home inspector and I would ding it if I was inspecting it. Drip edges should be installed to prevent wind driven rain from going under the shingles and underlayment and into the roof sheathing. Best to check with local AHJ though.
Tony

id_jon

WKR
I'm a roofer by trade. Probably around a quarter of the repairs I do involve fixing issues that stem from drip edge being installed incorrectly, so I can see where he's coming from. With that said, drip edge should still always be used, just installed correctly, which is UNDER the underlayment, preferably a self adhering ice and water shield.

Zappaman

WKR
If it's required by code in your area, the builder can correct it (correctly) or pay for a lawyer. BUT... someone has to inspect the final... I'd call them and explain the situation or better yet, make an appt. and go to their office to "discuss" a few matters re. your new house. Raise this issue for the inspectors (maybe their boss) and they'll (maybe) do the work for you. Good luck!

Drenalin

WKR
I'm a roofer by trade. Probably around a quarter of the repairs I do involve fixing issues that stem from drip edge being installed incorrectly, so I can see where he's coming from. With that said, drip edge should still always be used, just installed correctly, which is UNDER the underlayment, preferably a self adhering ice and water shield.
This. The guy may not be intentionally cutting corners, but there are some strong - and often incorrect - opinions out there when it comes to water infiltration.

Another thing I’d probably do, aside from the govt inspector, is get an inspector just like you would if you were buying a house. I’ve seen enough shady work on new construction, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1

weaver

WKR
Yes drip edge HAS to be installed.
They can probably still stuff some under the shingles and make it look ok but it won’t be installed properly. Like another poster said, drip edge should be installed first with ice and water overlapping that which is basically impossible at this point.
I would be very leery of everything else they did and have it inspected by someone that knows what they’re looking at.

17Hunter

FNG
And if your fascia is aluminum, doesnt that typically tuck behind the drip edge?

DanimalW

WKR
Being in Texas you’ll probably be ok. If you were in a northern state with ice damming I’d be more concerned. Did they at least run a course of ice and water around the perimeter?

id_jon

WKR
I can’t imagine there’s that much material savings eliminating a couple dozen sticks of light gauge metal.
Probably around $300 per roof at the most I would guess. You'd be amazed at the pennies some roofers will pinch.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
Thanks for all the input everyone. At this point I’m not sure if it’s better to just leave it or have them attempt to install it. If I’m understanding what I’m reading here, sounds like the only way to install it right is to start over

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
Make them do it correctly and request that you are there when they do. Document everything as they do it with pictures and notes. Have a 3rd party roofing inspector inspect it. A house is a huge investment and needs to last don't accept sub par work. You didn't save a buck they did now they need to bring it up to code minimum at least.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Home inspectors here in TX will still note that on an inspection report if a drip edge isn’t installed. The gutter company I used for my personal home would have installed a drip edge if one wasn’t already in place.

You live in Stonewall? My personal best rifle buck was shot about 300 yards from one of the two radio towers you can see from HWY290.

Clarify with your builder what he's referencing as drip edge. I've known builders to "dumb things down" or assume the h.o. is referencing a specific item but using the wrong terminology.

Some have called the 2nd trim of fascia, or a stacked fascia or ledger on fascia, and confuse that piece as drip edge.

What kind of fascia material are you working with?