Driving to AK

KBC

WKR
We did a 4 week trip from south western BC to Alaska and back last July. We had a 7 year old and a 1.5 year old and towed a 23ish’ travel trailer so it wasn’t too off grid of a trip.

We went up to Prince George and then headed west towards Smithers on the way up as was mentioned above and then on the way home took the other way back on the Alaska highway and stopped at Tumbler Ridge

If you go up a little later, hit Hyder on the way up. I think the prime grizzly viewing time is closer to the end of July, we were a couple weeks early.

We wanted to to take the top of the world highway back but there was a lot of smoke from the fires up there last summer so we decided not to and spent a couple days more in BC on the way home.

You absolutely need to stop in Tumbler Ridge BC. I think it is the outdoors mans paradise. Being Canadian, we put some serious thought into selling everything and moving there. Not to mention you can park on the side of the road at the edge of town, go for a 20-30 walk and find dinosaur foot prints in the rocks. It might also be the nicest small town I’ve ever been to.

4 weeks was not enough time. I think a 4x4 converted camper van would be the ideal thing to drive up there and back in. I think when the kids get a bit older we will do another trip up that is a little more off the beaten path.

Alaska is an amazing place but northern BC and the Yukon have just as much to offer. Take your time and take lots of pictures!

One other note; If you think the beer in BC is expensive, stock up. The cost of beer in the Yukon would make me stop drinking it hahaha.

Squamch

WKR
We did a 4 week trip from south western BC to Alaska and back last July. We had a 7 year old and a 1.5 year old and towed a 23ish’ travel trailer so it wasn’t too off grid of a trip.

We went up to Prince George and then headed west towards Smithers on the way up as was mentioned above and then on the way home took the other way back on the Alaska highway and stopped at Tumbler Ridge

If you go up a little later, hit Hyder on the way up. I think the prime grizzly viewing time is closer to the end of July, we were a couple weeks early.

We wanted to to take the top of the world highway back but there was a lot of smoke from the fires up there last summer so we decided not to and spent a couple days more in BC on the way home.

You absolutely need to stop in Tumbler Ridge BC. I think it is the outdoors mans paradise. Being Canadian, we put some serious thought into selling everything and moving there. Not to mention you can park on the side of the road at the edge of town, go for a 20-30 walk and find dinosaur foot prints in the rocks. It might also be the nicest small town I’ve ever been to.

4 weeks was not enough time. I think a 4x4 converted camper van would be the ideal thing to drive up there and back in. I think when the kids get a bit older we will do another trip up that is a little more off the beaten path.

Alaska is an amazing place but northern BC and the Yukon have just as much to offer. Take your time and take lots of pictures!

One other note; If you think the beer in BC is expensive, stock up. The cost of beer in the Yukon would make me stop drinking it hahaha.

Hey hey hey, keep quiet about Tumbler. There's no work and moose are extinct.

Reactions: KBC