Driving with a Chest Freezer

Gorp2007

WKR
The family is getting ready to pack up and move to Texas and I've got a small chest freezer that's about half full of meat that I'm looking to bring with me. Unfortunately, driving to Texas in August means I'm going to be competing against some pretty aggressive temperatures, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for how best to keep things cold for 36 hours on the road. I've got a 110V outlet on the truck, but it's only rated to 400 Watts, so I don't think that's going to get the compressor going and I'm not optimistic about finding an outlet handy at the hotel over night. Right now my plan is to start saving the kids gallon milk jugs and basically filling the other half of the freezer with block ice. Any other recommendations? Would dry ice be better or worse? Am I overthinking this?

I'd think that it would be fine for 36 hours half filled with block ice. But maybe its a good excuse for a small genny? The Harbor Freight 2000 and 3000 generators are nice and great to have around for power outages. Might also be nice for your elk camp next year?

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a generator but that is to keep the freezer cool the entire week or so we are hunting and usually only ran it an hour or two a day. For 36 hours straight I think the block ice should work.

muddydogs

WKR
Fill the other half with frozen milk jugs, lay a blanket or sleeping bag on top under the lid to help insulate then tape or strap the lid closed so it doesn't bounce open a little on the bumps letting out a little cold air with every bump and you'll be good to go. Keep a 100 foot extension cord handy in the event that you find a place that you can plug the freezer into for a couple hours but a full frozen freezer should handle 36 hours no problem.

Fill the other half with frozen milk jugs, lay a blanket or sleeping bag on top under the lid to help insulate then tape or strap the lid closed so it doesn't bounce open a little on the bumps letting out a little cold air with every bump and you'll be good to go. Keep a 100 foot extension cord handy in the event that you find a place that you can plug the freezer into for a couple hours but a full frozen freezer should handle 36 hours no problem.
THAT has worked for me exactly as described

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Awesome, thanks for the reassurances. I'm definitely packing an extension cord, but I'll hold off on the generator for now since this whole moving thing is already expensive enough and I'd prefer to roll that money into some backyard archery targets once we get settled into the new place. Priorities and all that.

Awesome, thanks for the reassurances. I'm definitely packing an extension cord, but I'll hold off on the generator for now since this whole moving thing is already expensive enough and I'd prefer to roll that money into some backyard archery targets once we get settled into the new place. Priorities and all that.
last time I used this system was coming back from northern B.C. - motel didn't even know I plugged it in

wytx

WKR
Put some dry ice in it before you leave and do as suggested above about covering the lid and plugging overnight if possible, or stop and add dry ice along the way. Not hard to finds up here but I would do some checking on spots that have it along your route.

Put some dry ice in it before you leave and do as suggested above about covering the lid and plugging overnight if possible, or stop and add dry ice along the way. Not hard to finds up here but I would do some checking on spots that have it along your route.
you won't need dry ice for that period - use blocks of ice and a s bag or blanket over top of all and tape or strap lid down as mentioned, you're good to go

MtGomer

WKR
Don’t even worry about it. Keep it closed. But a blanket or old sleeping bag on top of the stuff if you’re concerned.

I moved to AZ last year and mine spent about 75-80 hours unplugged in the bed of a black pickup , with 2 full afternoons in direct sunlight on days that reached 110.
The frost on the inside walls was just starting to melt when I plugged it back in. Meat was solid.

Jacack

WKR

Bring a outlet splitter too I have a cheap 3/1 adapter I bring with a cord I have unplugged a vending/soda machine and added my splitter to run my freezer on long trips.

Check light poles in parking lots too found a few outlets that way.

Once when my son was I infant still on a road trip I did the same thing with a bottle warmer in a rest area, rest areas work too with all the vending machines.

Did this 2 years ago with a 33 hour drive. Put a couple chunks of dry ice on top and it was good. Make sure to tape the lid or put something heavy on top, bumps in the road can bump the lid open.

keller

WKR
Like others said ice and blankets will do.last year I drof e to Ak from wi.5 days with full freezer.took a small generator ran it a few hours a night.next time I will buy an inverter.1500 watts I believe will do about $100 on amazon and run it while driving.we also plugged in at campgrounds. Good luck on the move

Hpchacrx

FNG
I would look at seeing if any of your friends have a generator and power it that way. In that humidity and eat your ice will go quick. Just run it during the day and turn it off at night.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
We hunt August 1st every year for my dads elk and we run a generator and freezer for about 8hrs straight in the back of the truck from the time we shoot one until the time we get home.

squirly1

FNG
Buddies and I ran a cheap genny in bed of truck with full chest freezer of elk and deer from Idaho to Pennsylvania..worked great fill up same time as pickup truck and away you go.