Dromedary Bag

How much water do you guys use in a day for drinking, cooking, coffee, etc.? I am considering launching the Nalgenes and CamelBak 2L unit and getting one of these to shave weight. I hear-tell the filters will backfeed through the tube to fill it eliminating the need to remove from the pack. Is the tube long enough? Are they reliable? Are they rugged? Regrets? My wife bought me a stainless Guyot Designs bottle. I can remove the lid and lanyard quickly and set it in the coals to warm/boil water conserving fuel and potentially eliminating the need for a stove.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2010/09/30/review-guyot-designs-stainless-steel-nalgene-bottle/

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...reatment-and-hydration/dromedary-bags/product

BuckSnort

WKR
I go through about a gallon of water a day once I'm packed in.. I have a 6L MSR, a 50oz camelbak and a 32oz Nalgene... This combo gives me two days before refilling..

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a 4 and 6L MSR and bring a Nalgene as well (depending on the area), but the MSR is the only bladder I haven't broken yet.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
On a day hunt from base camp, I use a 3 liter msr dromlite (the red one) in my pack and typically have ~.5 liter left when I get back to camp at night. At basecamp, we fill a few of the 10 liter dromedary bags from the creek near camp, then hook them up to a sawyer gravity filter bag. This provides a 2 liter clean bag and up to 12 liters on hand to filter any time the clean bag is used. Its not 100% efficient as the sawyer cap is just different enough from the msr to yield a slow drip, not a big deal though.

On a bivy trip out, I bring the sawyer bags each 2 liters and the dromlite then filter, fill, and/or carry water in my pack as needed by the location.

I have used both of these msr bags for nearly 10 years and have had no problems with them. I would say bombproof sounds about right.

I've got a 10 L MSR drom bag and its bomb proof. I'll be getting a 4l MSR Dromlite to use as my bladder and I'll bring a nalgene along. The 10L is for when I'm set up and I can have 2 days worth of water at camp.

yes, I'll normally use 3-4 ls hiking per day. Then I have my nalgene for cooking. I use 4-5 L's per day. I wasn't counting the days water I already had, I have a 2 day supply with 10 L's at camp haha

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure.

I take a 10L MSR Drom and in my pack is a 100oz bladder. The 10L drom stays at camp for cooking and a refill of the bladder if I havn't pumped that day. Seems like I'm filling that drom maybe every third day?

Do you guys reccomend the drom lite or regular and what liter if you are going to use it as your all in one water storage and hydration bladder.

Dromlite most likely.... my MSR drom bag is bulletproof though, I think you'd have to puncture it with a knife, and even then it would be tough to do.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a 2l lite and a 6l regular one. The black one is definetly stronger, but i havnt had any problems with the lite either. The lite is still stronger than your normal camelbak, platy or source bladder. And the regular drom i would think would be tough to puncture even with a knife.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have only used the Drom-lite bags for the past 3 years. Never an issue at all with them leaking. Like Aron said best water containers for backpacking large volumes of water I have found by far.