Drone scouting finds a AZ muley buck...and a few other animals.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
This drone aerial view of typical western Arizona desert terrain will give you a good idea should you consider the late AZ OTC archery mule deer hunt. The desert washes, flat top mesas, arroyos, ridgelines and desert mountains can produce a good hunt. Observe the game trails, how rainfall/monsoon drains through, see types of trees, cacti and shrubbery. The December-January hunts can be very cold at night (low 20's) with daytime highs in the 60-70 deg F range. Even in winter, locating water sources are still a main key.

This video footage by drone was filmed in early April, well after the closure of archery hunt season. Using, flying a drone to scout, film or assist in any way hunting DURING an active open hunting season is illegal by AZFGD regulations...as it should be.

I've hunted each of the past 19 years as NR in Arizona, all archery with compound bow. From the Mogollon Rim high country, Seligman/Aubrey Cliffs plains/desert area, Arivaca>Gila Bend's southern desert (coues & muleys), to the alpine conifers of unit 27. Observed many changes over those 19 years, but a dedicated archer-hunter can still be very successful in such open areas of the desert. State and BLM lands, national forests offer a plethora of public land to hunt for the late OTC archery deer season in Arizona.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I've hunted many of those long desert washes in the past mostly by walking on one side and looping up and and over the tops to glass then loop around and pop up again over and over. Years ago we also ran those ridges watching the wash and opposite ridge for running jackrabbit rifle practice and came across many good deer.

There used be be a number of people that scouted with para-gliders but I don't hear much about it anymore. Maybe because too many crashed? Randy Ulmer crashed I believe up on the Strip pre-season scouting years ago.

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
its been a few years since I observed para gliders in the Kofa.

Agreed, hiking the flat tops and glassing over and down into the desert washes, spotting buck(s) then stalking within bow range is one of my favorite & most challenging hunt tactics (darn hard to do, so dry & noisy). Just have to know what the wind is doing as always.

Of real interest is observing how the desert deer and burros react to the many ATV, UTV's and motocross dirt bikes that run the trails on the flat tops and desert washes. These animals are keen to these motorized vehicles as a threat and react to these as such.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Way way back there wasn't anyone out there at all outside of the rifle hunts except the occasional rancher and mexican traveler. The drug runners were few and far between as well. We used to have archery season virtually to ourselves. Those days were a blast. Almost zero resident competition and absolutey zero non-res presence. Much has changed.

Rob5589

WKR
Way way back there wasn't anyone out there at all outside of the rifle hunts except the occasional rancher and mexican traveler. The drug runners were few and far between as well. We used to have archery season virtually to ourselves. Those days were a blast. Almost zero resident competition and absolutey zero non-res presence. Much has changed.
Maybe because people post their drone footage of the area and animals online for all to see?

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
I just post for those outdoorsman to enjoy or see interesting country, terrain which they may not get the opportunity to observe in person.
No $$$ for my YT and channel not set up for that. It takes a lot of time editing etc but keeps this old guy happily busy.

Years ago, I was motivated by articles, books written by Jack O'Conner on Arizona. My father/mentor just had no interest to hunt outside of our home state boundaries...although his spirit is with me on my hunting quests.
Mr O'Conner and his son Brad's pictures, descriptions piqued my interest in oneday hunting various AZ, CO, NM & other western terrains. Jim Zumbo was also a good read.
Today its websites like Rokslide and reading about other normal peeps adventures etc. that are motivating and interesting.

At my age, just trying to share 55+ years of experiences, knowledge.
Now 20 years ago, never would have done this. Maybe its maturity over the years and giving back from so much of my enjoyment in the great outdoors...and leaving something for my grandsons to see.