drop away rest recommendations

JRoot10

FNG
Newbie archery hunter here, so forgive me if this is an old topic. I have a whisker biscuit that came with my bow and I've gotten used to shooting with it. I'd like to upgrade, but don't want to spend a ton of money on a drop away rest. Is it worth the investment? Which rests to people use/recommend? I have a PSE Brute Force Lite Bow (left handed).

wayoh22

WKR
QAD seems to be the most popular drop away nowadays imo. Can easily find those in the classifieds for much less than retail.

What's your budget?

I'm a qad fan. I do prefer micro adjust rests, but they aren't cheap. If getting qad make sure it's atleast an hdx model as they have the anti-bounce back. Some of the cheaper models the launcher prong can bounce back up and contact the fletching.

Trophy Taker have been pretty good to me.

Not a big rip cord fan.

Currently trying a Hamskea Trinity Hunter, not too sold on it yet.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Qad fan here. Same as billy goat. The micro adjusts are nice.
Really like the AAE prophecy i put on my hoyt.
I like the hamskea trinity hunter as well it just didnt work for my current bows torque wise.

Rob5589

WKR
Currently using Rip Cord and HHA. Prefer the HHA; smoother, more compact. But both get the job done.

What's your budget?

I'm a qad fan. I do prefer micro adjust rests, but they aren't cheap. If getting qad make sure it's atleast an hdx model as they have the anti-bounce back. Some of the cheaper models the launcher prong can bounce back up and contact the fletching.

Trophy Taker have been pretty good to me.

Not a big rip cord fan.

Currently trying a Hamskea Trinity Hunter, not too sold on it yet.
What have you disliked about the trinity? I have found it to be pretty solid.

Newbie archery hunter here, so forgive me if this is an old topic. I have a whisker biscuit that came with my bow and I've gotten used to shooting with it. I'd like to upgrade, but don't want to spend a ton of money on a drop away rest. Is it worth the investment? Which rests to people use/recommend? I have a PSE Brute Force Lite Bow (left handed).
Do you plan on shooting longer distances or just 20-30 yard shots out of a tree stand? There is something to be said about the simplicity of a whisker biscuit if someone is just going to hunt short range. All the other options mentioned are good. I would go with a hamskea if you really want something high end and easy to fix in the field if necessary.

What have you disliked about the trinity? I have found it to be pretty solid.

I don't like the weight and the bulk of it, the rest actually contacts the top of my hand while shooting. Don't like how far the cord sticks out. The cord will be alright with a quiver on, more than likely. I wish the micro adjustments had rotation marked on them, I always get confused which way I need to turn them to achieve what I want. The qad mxt has direction marked, and has solid clicks. The adjustment on the Trinity has a lot of slop, I can turn the adjustment knob 1/4 turn before anything happens. The set screw on the bar also doesn't line up with my riser correctly, so nothing for it to contact, not their fault. The set screw also protrudes from the bar so the washer will catch it when it does have bearing. Doesn't seem to be as forgiving, I ordered the g-flex but was disappointed with how stiff it was. I'll still try it tho.

I like that it should be really difficult to damage. Even if the cord breaks or gets cut it should be easy to fix. It's pretty simple all in all, seems like it should be very durable.

Some of my complaints might be minor, I just kept reading about how great it was so figured I'd give it a try. I'm not sold on it being the best thing out there at this point. It is a nice piece tho. Biggest problem for me is with regards to the micro adjustments. Slop and it would be really simple to put marks on it so I don't move it to see where it's going, then go back. Slop could be limited to the one I have, don't know.

Might be in my head but I feel like it's not as forgiving as the qad at distance, groups just open more. I'll see, still going to give it a little while.

Hoot

WKR
I prefer limb driven rests and I shoot hamskea, I like the hybrid hunter more than the trinity, for the weight and bulk reasons.

AAE makes good affordable rests, if I were in your shoes and not wanting to spend a bunch of money, I would look there.

The QAD ultra rest is very popular, but I think they are terrible, once your cables creep and the rest comes out of time, it can become damaged and inconsistently have terrible arrow contact sending your arrow to lord knows where, it's happened with literally every ultra rest I have seen...

I prefer limb driven rests and I shoot hamskea, I like the hybrid hunter more than the trinity, for the weight and bulk reasons.

AAE makes good affordable rests, if I were in your shoes and not wanting to spend a bunch of money, I would look there.

The QAD ultra rest is very popular, but I think they are terrible, once your cables creep and the rest comes out of time, it can become damaged and inconsistently have terrible arrow contact sending your arrow to lord knows where, it's happened with literally every ultra rest I have seen...

Curious how those qad's were tied in? I'm assuming below serving with a knot tied tight in the cable? I have found they work just fine without a knot on the end, cables have plenty of tension. I haven't had a bit of issue with one, I do know it happens. I have piles of shots on them without incident. Know many others in the same boat as myself.

Maybe it's just a ticking timebomb, but I'm careful about too much tension on the cord.

I don't like the weight and the bulk of it, the rest actually contacts the top of my hand while shooting. Don't like how far the cord sticks out. The cord will be alright with a quiver on, more than likely. I wish the micro adjustments had rotation marked on them, I always get confused which way I need to turn them to achieve what I want. The qad mxt has direction marked, and has solid clicks. The adjustment on the Trinity has a lot of slop, I can turn the adjustment knob 1/4 turn before anything happens. The set screw on the bar also doesn't line up with my riser correctly, so nothing for it to contact, not their fault. The set screw also protrudes from the bar so the washer will catch it when it does have bearing. Doesn't seem to be as forgiving, I ordered the g-flex but was disappointed with how stiff it was. I'll still try it tho.

I like that it should be really difficult to damage. Even if the cord breaks or gets cut it should be easy to fix. It's pretty simple all in all, seems like it should be very durable.

Some of my complaints might be minor, I just kept reading about how great it was so figured I'd give it a try. I'm not sold on it being the best thing out there at this point. It is a nice piece tho. Biggest problem for me is with regards to the micro adjustments. Slop and it would be really simple to put marks on it so I don't move it to see where it's going, then go back. Slop could be limited to the one I have, don't know.

Might be in my head but I feel like it's not as forgiving as the qad at distance, groups just open more. I'll see, still going to give it a little while.
I would agree with the micro adjustment, however I just pay attention to which line I was at and which direction I want to move to. What do you notice as far as forgiveness? This rest, with the spring built it should be as forgiving as it gets. Really shouldn’t be any bounce back or clearance issues? Have you played with how far out on the limb you tied it off?

I would agree with the micro adjustment, however I just pay attention to which line I was at and which direction I want to move to. What do you notice as far as forgiveness? This rest, with the spring built it should be as forgiving as it gets. Really shouldn’t be any bounce back or clearance issues? Have you played with how far out on the limb you tied it off?

Haven't played with limb attachment. I have it anchored about 1/2" infront of my axle. I get paying attention to the line, just lots of times I'm trying to adjust it so slightly that I can't really see it move, hard to see 1/64".

In terms of forgiveness I just don't seem to be grouping as well as I was. Here before long I'll shoot some scores with it and have a better idea. I haven't played with torque tuning it yet, that might play into it some but I don't feel like I'm getting L/R flyers from it. I don't think it's any kind of clearance issue. Might be if I played with the limb position it would help. At the axle it should be holding it up longer than anywhere else. Maybe I need it coming down faster.

Haven't played with limb attachment. I have it anchored about 1/2" infront of my axle. I get paying attention to the line, just lots of times I'm trying to adjust it so slightly that I can't really see it move, hard to see 1/64".

In terms of forgiveness I just don't seem to be grouping as well as I was. Here before long I'll shoot some scores with it and have a better idea. I haven't played with torque tuning it yet, that might play into it some but I don't feel like I'm getting L/R flyers from it. I don't think it's any kind of clearance issue. Might be if I played with the limb position it would help. At the axle it should be holding it up longer than anywhere else. Maybe I need it coming down faster.
Sounds good, would be interested to hear your long term thoughts. I am about 4-5 months into mine. I have liked it out of the gate. I have mine tied to the axle post. If you have trouble you should call Devan Hall with Hanskea and he might be able to help with some subtle things to improve how it’s set up.

To each his own but I am a QAD fan for sure. Micro Adjust Integrate. The Exodus Broad heads are tough as they come as well.