Drop camp/Packout Services in SE Idaho

4shore

FNG
Going back to ID again in 2020. 3 of us going this time. I was thinking about flying out to reduce the time lost to driving and would like to ship my gear ahead of time and possibly have an outfitter set up a drop camp. The other thought is to have access to a packout service if we are lucky enough to down 1 I don't want to burn a hunt day hiking meat out if I can help it.

Does anyone have any rec's on outfitters? Tips on this kind of service or idea of cost?

I’m doing a 2020 hunt too. I found that a drop camp alone can cost a couple thousand, not worth it me. I’m from Florida and I’m looking at a $300 round trip flight with 2 free bags. A rental truck is where I’m going to spend some money ($600 for a week + gas) but it will be split four ways. Good luck on your hunt, this will be my first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the Idaho Outfitters and guides Licensing Board Website. You can only use the outfitter that is licensed in the area that you plan to hunt, so if you know where you will be hunting you will know which outfitter you can use.

Do you really need to spend money on that? Look at the thread about camping methods and you will see that most guys are killing elk while camped at their truck. A drop camp is affordable but you have to pay every year. Instead line up an area where all you need is your license, a tent, and gas to get there. Easier to find partners too.

OP

4shore

FNG
We will probably do a spike camp a few miles back and go from here. We truck camped this past year in the Salmon Zone and it was a friggin circus. Trying to avoid that this coming year.