Drop Camp Suggestion

Guff

FNG
Planning on taking my first adventure out west next fall, a friend and myself. With it being our first elk hunt we are looking at doing a drop camp hunt in an OTC tag unit in Colorado, then hopefully branching out on our own the next time we go. Do any of you guys have any recommendations for anyone to use for this style hunt? Thanks.

OP
G

Guff

FNG
Or would you just recommend doing a DIY hunt and just using the first year to learn? What are your experiences with drop camps?

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
drop camps can be good, many outfitters put drop camps in certain places out of convenience. If it was that good a spot, they would run guided camps out of it. That being said, its still better than being piled up at the trailhead with everyone else.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
There are several outfitters who only do drop camps-no guided camps. I have done well with these types of outfits. That eliminates the issues of the guided vs drop locations.

OP
G

Guff

FNG
There are several outfitters who only do drop camps-no guided camps. I have done well with these types of outfits. That eliminates the issues of the guided vs drop locations.

Spoke with an outfitter today that does only drop camp hunts. Good point about outfitters that do both, thanks!

Bulldawg

WKR
drop camps can be good, many outfitters put drop camps in certain places out of convenience. If it was that good a spot, they would run guided camps out of it. That being said, its still better than being piled up at the trailhead with everyone else.

I'll say that I don't particularly agree with this, Outfitters don't really get to always choose where their base camp is located, and it's a lot easier to run a drop camp that is an additional 8 miles deep opposed to doing a base camp out that far in. I wouldn't always say that drop camp hunts aren't in areas as good as the guided areas,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Outfitter provided Drop Camps are handy in that you waste NO time looking for a campsite, nor setting up/breaking down your base camp tent since you'll use theirs), no time wasted digging base camp latrine, etc. And you will save the cost of one additional mule since you won't have to haul the base camp tent and they can probably provide chairs and a table, too. Also the outfitter can probably tell you where water is located in areas around your planned hunt and where to find a wallow or two. All of this will save you tons of time when hunting an unfamiliar area.

Beendare

WKR

^agreed. The outfitter with both is giving priority to his full service hunters. Doesn't mean you won't be in a decent spot....but maybe. I think there are a couple keys to these drop camps;

Probably best to get in there first on those booked up drops- do you really want to be on the 3rd hunt where 15 guys have been hunting for the previous weeks?

Plan on spiking out...or at the very least- ranging out. Being in the backcountry doesn't guarantee you will be into animals. We typically tow a couple horses around with packsaddles and keep moving until we are into elk. By spiking out, you can be on elk at first light...a big advantage. If you get one down 3 miles from your drop camp- so what..... the outfitter packs it out for you.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 51945The biggest reason I do a drop is the packing of the meat back to the trailhead and cooler. I hunt alone, Im 57 in good shape but will not and can not pack an animal 4-8 miles back on my own. If I had a group and in my younger years-I did this and did not need the service. We just trail headed and there were 4 of us to pack an animal out-but we limited that to hunting 2 miles in. Drop camps are great if you can afford the camp, not everyone can a nd some [prefer to do it on there own. Here is my solo drop camp bull from last year-1st season Colorado- drew a tag with no points. This camp was only 2.5 miles in-straight up at 11,000 ft SW ColoradoView attachment 51945

xziang

WKR
I haven't done a drop camp but one obvious thing nice about them is not having to haul you gear in on your back. :) If you do also ask if there is an extra fee to haul an animal out and or if they would go to where you DROPPED it to haul it out. (etc.)

Me I like to be able to move around if I see to many people and or no elk so I've been kind of a nomad. I however also haven't put anything on the ground yet either (4yrs) but have finally located an area which I like. I'm also frugal with $$ so I've been wanting and trying to do it on my own but look where that has gotten me too. *shrugs*

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll say that I don't particularly agree with this, Outfitters don't really get to always choose where their base camp is located, and it's a lot easier to run a drop camp that is an additional 8 miles deep opposed to doing a base camp out that far in. I wouldn't always say that drop camp hunts aren't in areas as good as the guided areas,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say always, I said many. :) That is good that you mentioned the 8 miles deep part, brings up another good point, I know of one particular drop camp where I pound around, that the outfitter brings folks in almost 9 miles with horses, but I can park a truck, walk less then 2 miles from the trailhead on the other side, and be at there camp. My point by the post is choose your outfitter wisely, and don't assume it gives you any kind of advantage thinking your "deeper" than anyone else can get, because chances are, the further you rode in, the closer you got to other access. Colorado aint the bob marshall.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh, another thing, I would highly recommend action adventures if you want a drop camp in an otc unit, guys are legit and there stock is tough as nails. Look em up.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure each drop camp has a specific location that is registered with what ever ranger station they fall under. Moving them around would require working with the park service on the outfitters part. Its not an option to just throw one in. I have a map with every outfitters drop camp and GPS location in the flat tops-not sharing it here-but that how I know it to be a fact. It was published to track the drop camp operators so the park service could inspect or evacuate in case of a fire t

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Planning on taking my first adventure out west next fall, a friend and myself. With it being our first elk hunt we are looking at doing a drop camp hunt in an OTC tag unit in Colorado, then hopefully branching out on our own the next time we go. Do any of you guys have any recommendations for anyone to use for this style hunt? Thanks.

What did you end up doing, and how was it?

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider

100% true statement here. I have been on 2 of them. Didn't learn the first time.

Test Man

FNG
I didn't say always, I said many. :) That is good that you mentioned the 8 miles deep part, brings up another good point, I know of one particular drop camp where I pound around, that the outfitter brings folks in almost 9 miles with horses, but I can park a truck, walk less then 2 miles from the trailhead on the other side, and be at there camp. My point by the post is choose your outfitter wisely, and don't assume it gives you any kind of advantage thinking your "deeper" than anyone else can get, because chances are, the further you rode in, the closer you got to other access. Colorado aint the bob marshall.
Highcountry, what you said is very true! I experienced that very thing with an outfitter in CO. It was a long pack trip in on horseback to camp and then a long haul every morning to where we hunted. Imagine my surprise when one morning after a 3 AM wakeup and a long trek to our hunting spot we encountered two women hikers who were not even breaking a sweat. I said how long did it take you to hike way back here? they said " oh, not long, the parking lot is just two miles the other way." I was hoping they didn't notice my stupid sheepish grin, LOL! That was a long time ago and a hard lesson learned!