Drop/MV discrepancy

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
There has to be a explanation, what reticle do you have in the shv?... like you said, maybe your point of aim is the culprit. ?
Mike

Sfp scopes can be prone to reticle shift with change in magnification.

My old nightforce 2.5-10 was that way.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Second focal plane POI only changes on BDC type reticles. The sub-tensions do not remain constant, however the actual crosshair Point of impact does not change with a change in magnification.

I'm not ignorant.

Without the parallax knob I thought it was the case.. but nope. Reticle shift of about 1.5 Moa. Got sent back. I miss that scope a lot. The newer x42 seems even better.

Assume. Ass out of you and me. I'm guilty all the time ;)

Unoboats

WKR
Be sure you are using the same magnification each shot in the case of second focal plane scopes you should be at max magnification. I will make a difference.
Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luv2hunt

FNG
Hate to open up an old thread, but was there ever an answer to this? I am have the same problem with my 30 Nosler using a Berger 215 Hybrid Target. Velocity 2,920. Zero at 100. Using both Strelok Pro and AB, I get a calculated drop of 10.5 MOA at a verified 600 yards. But my actual drop is 9.25 MOA. 1.25 MOA lower...??? Same issue at 500.

Luv2hunt

FNG
In no real order:
  1. Handloads or factory ammo?
  2. Which chrono under what conditions, & how many shots to obtain “average” MV?
  3. What scope & mounts?
  4. How did you mount scope?
  5. Dialing or holding over?
  6. Grouping paper at 600 or steel?
  7. Range is verified how? What is horizontal distance & what is line of sight distance?
If I’m not missing anything, seems like ‘calibrated’ MV is ~5% more than what you think your MV is. Assuming your scope tracks well, 5% could be from using a small sample size, not accounting for velocity degradation, poor chrono setup, slight error in actual range, etc.
1) Handloads - 75gr H1000
2) LabRadar - multiple sessions, varying # of shots (3-10), under different conditions
3) NightForce NP-1RR SFP .125 V & H adjustments
4) Properly
5) Dialing
6) Steel
7) At known distances at rifle range verified by Sig 2400
My confusion is that I have no issue with other guns/calibers following the same process as with 30 Nosler. So specific to this gun. Since the original OP had the same issue, I was hoping that someone had identified a setup problem. I have not tried a different scope but will probably do that next.

I’ve had this happen to me before... my rangefinder got set to meters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luv2hunt

FNG
I did check my LabRadar. The recorded speed at 55 yards (I know, that's not 100) is exactly the same as the estimated, 2,852, on my app.

I’m going through the same issue currently. Starting to think it’s the rangefinder as I’ve never had this issue. Did you find any solutions?

mddat

FNG
Funny I’m having the exact same issue as the OP, 300 win mag, 215 Berger hand loads, nightforce 5-20 shv. Can’t wrap my head around what’s happening