Dropped Everything to go live a dream.....

If you guys were to drop everything, good paying job, your home state, and just move west or to Alaska to try and get into the guiding world, how would you go about it?

At least what would be some tips people would have to break into the big game guiding world? Does it help to have a guide school under your belt?

I have about 7 1/2 years of Army experience, and currently in a Gunsmithing school. Just looking for advice from anyone who guides, or has friends that guide.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
You can marry more money in 30 seconds than you can make in a lifetime.

I'm sure there are lots of daddy's that will pay you good money to leave town, be a good start anyways.

my wife has a business, does pretty decent in said business, we moved home from the Army, we are not happy back home like we thought we’d be. Best time we ever had together was living in Colorado. She literally wants me to pursue whatever dream I want to pursue and she’ll use her business to support that. This is where I’m at. Looking west maybe even northwest.

bozeman

WKR
Go west and chase your dreams! The $ will come. It’s amazing how many say ‘there’s no $ in guiding/outfitting’, but you find them on every corner. Gotta be some $$ in it somewhere. Best of luck and be safe!!

my wife has a business, does pretty decent in said business, we moved home from the Army, we are not happy back home like we thought we’d be. Best time we ever had together was living in Colorado. She literally wants me to pursue whatever dream I want to pursue and she’ll use her business to support that. This is where I’m at. Looking west maybe even northwest.

If she has a business where she can relocate easily then why are you asking questions?

I wouldn't stop in lower 48.

Right now both of us are too tied to where we are. Can't leave for a while anyways.

I can't help you with pursuing a guide career except I know several that got burnt out on it. I'd find something that allows you to be outdoors and gives you the flexibility to hunt when you want. Ultimately that's what I think most want and would prefer.

My take anyways.

OXN939

WKR
If you guys were to drop everything, good paying job, your home state, and just move west or to Alaska to try and get into the guiding world, how would you go about it?

At least what would be some tips people would have to break into the big game guiding world? Does it help to have a guide school under your belt?

I have about 7 1/2 years of Army experience, and currently in a Gunsmithing school. Just looking for advice from anyone who guides, or has friends that guide.

Gunsmithing probably a pretty transferable skill set. I'm moving to Alaska as soon as I finish knocking out all my pilot's licenses. That GI bill is a big time hookup

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We decided to go all in to Alaska about 5 years ago, we packed up everything we could, and showed up with like 8 backpacks/duffle bags, gun cases and our pets. At the time we had managed to save about 70k cash which we had in the bank so we were at a good place to start, now days we both have good jobs we enjoy, make good money and get to enjoy all the things AK has to offer. In a way we are lucky that we don’t have the family ties some do and we have family that is more than willing to travel up here.

I have known a lot of people who move up here because it’s their “dream” except they split the state EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. I’ve never understood it, every holiday or family event they leave the state. Those are the people I see who usually throw in the towel and move back to the same old town doing the same old job they did before.

I think in the past 5 years, I’ve left AK 2 times, the problem is there is never a good time, I don’t want to leave over Christmas because there’s a December moose season, I don’t want to leave over the summer because of all the sport dishing and boating to be done, hunting season is August to October so that’s a no go, then the snow machining and ice fishing and caribou hunting is good in the spring so I dont Want to leave for that either.

anyways I’ve always been surprised how many people take living here in AK as a point of pride then they leave the state constantly for the most mundane reasons....sisters HS graduation? Parents anniversary??? It’s like they just need an excuse to leave.

edit to add: I’ve never ever even once considered being a guide, I hate the structure of the guiding system in this state and (flame suit on) dislike guides very much.

I met a guide and the outfitter he worked for a couple years back. He had met the outfitter while backpacking. He offered to help the outfitter in exchange for room and board, so as to gain experience. He is now employed by that outfitter.

Easy enough to get an entry level job as a packer in AK. Very different to get your registered guide license! If that’s your goal you absolutely need to find a registered/master guide who will help you. It’s direct competition for them so it needs to be clear from the get go. Having a pilots license and lots of hours will drastically increase your job prospects. Not much money to be made as a packer/assistant guide but you gotta do it to get the hours and recommendations. 5 years is the fastest I’ve heard getting the registered guide license. Most take 10+years to get it done .

I don’t see how guide school would help anything other than possible job placement? Pretty expensive way to get a job. A lot cheaper to pick up the phone and start calling outfitters that you would be interested in and seeing if they need help. Different guys do different things- lots of moose guys won’t do sheep or goat etc.

Like always it’s not what you know but who you know!

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
I think it's like any job where you have zero experience: Start low and work your way up. See if any lodges need dishwashers or kitchen help, packers, ranch hand, etc. Your work ethic with show them your commitment level.

Could also consider being a fishing guide on rivers or lakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
Easy enough to get an entry level job as a packer in AK.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Let me know if you have an outfitter in mind because I've been on the hunt for that job for quite some time

As far as getting a job in the lower 48 its pretty easy, cold call every single outfitter in the state you want to work. Outfitters are always looking for a good hand

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to move to AK, but no way my wife would. She hates the cold! If that wasn’t the case, I would of moved there many years ago. Envy! If it was me (in my young 40’s), I would invest another 5 years at home, wipe out all my debt, liquidate, and save enough money to where all I would need is some part time entrepreneurial gig.

Lowg08

WKR
Just go for it before to you get so far in you can’t get out. In my job I’m so far now that I can’t do anything else. 19 years and 6 figures a year. I’m pretty stuck.

SDHNTR

WKR
We decided to go all in to Alaska about 5 years ago, we packed up everything we could, and showed up with like 8 backpacks/duffle bags, gun cases and our pets. At the time we had managed to save about 70k cash which we had in the bank so we were at a good place to start, now days we both have good jobs we enjoy, make good money and get to enjoy all the things AK has to offer. In a way we are lucky that we don’t have the family ties some do and we have family that is more than willing to travel up here.

I have known a lot of people who move up here because it’s their “dream” except they split the state EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. I’ve never understood it, every holiday or family event they leave the state. Those are the people I see who usually throw in the towel and move back to the same old town doing the same old job they did before.

I think in the past 5 years, I’ve left AK 2 times, the problem is there is never a good time, I don’t want to leave over Christmas because there’s a December moose season, I don’t want to leave over the summer because of all the sport dishing and boating to be done, hunting season is August to October so that’s a no go, then the snow machining and ice fishing and caribou hunting is good in the spring so I dont Want to leave for that either.

anyways I’ve always been surprised how many people take living here in AK as a point of pride then they leave the state constantly for the most mundane reasons....sisters HS graduation? Parents anniversary??? It’s like they just need an excuse to leave.

edit to add: I’ve never ever even once considered being a guide, I hate the structure of the guiding system in this state and (flame suit on) dislike guides very much.
Uhh, some people care about their family! Sis' HS graduation and parents' anniversaries sound like a damn good reason to visit loved ones to me.

SDHNTR

WKR
OP, just beware that often times, when fun becomes work, the work is no longer fun. I worked many years on sportfishing charter boats. It took 100% of the fun out of fishing to me. I love offshore sportfishing and came to hate it when it was a job. Took me many years after I stopped working on boats to regain my love for the sport.

Chase your dreams sure, but another approach would be to find a good paying job with a flexible schedule in an area you are interested in (I know, easier said than done). Then you can enjoy the outdoors on your own terms. Carrying someone else's shit and enduring bad weather and the bad attitude of some entitled prick client sounds miserable to me. Ask any guide, it's not all that romantic. And certainly real hard on family life!

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Uhh, some people care about their family! Sis' HS graduation and parents' anniversaries sound like a damn good reason to visit loved ones to me.

not to me, maybe one of them but when you are making multiple trips like that a year, AK probably isn’t the place for you.

Let me know if you have an outfitter in mind because I've been on the hunt for that job for quite some time

As far as getting a job in the lower 48 its pretty easy, cold call every single outfitter in the state you want to work. Outfitters are always looking for a good hand

sorry don't know offhand with this weird season. but every year see something asking for a last minute fill in or two. depending on the outfit, timing etc, most packers get paid very little, sometimes it's just the opportunity to get a try out and hopefully hired on the next season. So if you are missing work and flying up probably gonna lose money.....